Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Amusing truth

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Amusing truth
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:15 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:Finished the re-read. Yeah, forgot it was Vlad using his brother's name.
Premis still holds, whoever messed with Vlad came between 30 and 50 years after Agincourt. I agree with Phillies. Vlad is the result of Hegemony tech in some way.

Really? :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Why does it have to be Hegemony tech? :twisted:

PeterZ wrote:Finished the re-read. Yeah, forgot it was Vlad using his brother's name.
Premis still holds, whoever messed with Vlad came between 30 and 50 years after Agincourt. I agree with Phillies. Vlad is the result of Hegemony tech in some way.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:31 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Because of the timing and his knowledge of Shongairi information systems. Had Vlad resulted from any other tech, he couldn't have navigated the computer systems at Ground Base 7 so quickly or easily.
DrakBibliophile wrote:Why does it have to be Hegemony tech? :twisted:

Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Have to re-read the other book, but I don't remember Vlad "navigating" Shongairi computer systems.

But even if he did, couldn't Vlad had "vamped" a Shongairi computer tech?

PeterZ wrote:Because of the timing and his knowledge of Shongairi information systems. Had Vlad resulted from any other tech, he couldn't have navigated the computer systems at Ground Base 7 so quickly or easily.

Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Found a Vlad quote that would explain his knowledge of Shongairi tech.

And like me, they have used your neural educators, learned how to control your vessels, how to use your technology.

End Quote

It looks to me like Vlad's "vamp power" could have forced the Shongairi to give him general info and the Shongairi own education devices would have done the rest.

PeterZ wrote:Because of the timing and his knowledge of Shongairi information systems. Had Vlad resulted from any other tech, he couldn't have navigated the computer systems at Ground Base 7 so quickly or easily.

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:13 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Could be. Having another source for that sort of technology means having another advanced polity. We haven't heard anything about that yet. We may well hear about it soon enough as Dave delves into the Hegemony data base about their history.

That may well be an interesting story to read about. Two intergalactic civilizations battling it out with Earth caught in the crossfire. Well recruited into the fray, anyway.

Still it would be much more fun to see the vamps chew up the Shongairi home system and leave without saying bupkiss. Depending on just how much Vlad allows his demons to hold sway, the home system may well be cleansed of life. The colonies may just have their weapons systems destroyed, but otherwise allowed to live. After that it would be a race to see if humanity can develop enough technology to survive.
DrakBibliophile wrote:Found a Vlad quote that would explain his knowledge of Shongairi tech.

And like me, they have used your neural educators, learned how to control your vessels, how to use your technology.

End Quote

It looks to me like Vlad's "vamp power" could have forced the Shongairi to give him general info and the Shongairi own education devices would have done the rest.

Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:50 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I'm thinking "last warship of a lost people destroyed by the Hegemony" finding Earth either before Vlad's time (ie he's not the first vampire) or just before his death.

PeterZ wrote:Could be. Having another source for that sort of technology means having another advanced polity. We haven't heard anything about that yet. We may well hear about it soon enough as Dave delves into the Hegemony data base about their history.

That may well be an interesting story to read about. Two intergalactic civilizations battling it out with Earth caught in the crossfire. Well recruited into the fray, anyway.

Still it would be much more fun to see the vamps chew up the Shongairi home system and leave without saying bupkiss. Depending on just how much Vlad allows his demons to hold sway, the home system may well be cleansed of life. The colonies may just have their weapons systems destroyed, but otherwise allowed to live. After that it would be a race to see if humanity can develop enough technology to survive.
DrakBibliophile wrote:Found a Vlad quote that would explain his knowledge of Shongairi tech.

End Quote

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Too Mutineer's Moon for me.

I was hoping for an Excalibur Alternative to revisiting Colin McIntyre.
DrakBibliophile wrote:I'm thinking "last warship of a lost people destroyed by the Hegemony" finding Earth either before Vlad's time (ie he's not the first vampire) or just before his death.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:58 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well, I'm thinking Excalibur Alternative as well not Colin McIntyre.

I don't want Earth to have to worry both about the Hegemony and about the aliens helping them.

PeterZ wrote:Too Mutineer's Moon for me.

DrakBibliophile wrote:I'm thinking "last warship of a lost people destroyed by the Hegemony" finding Earth either before Vlad's time (ie he's not the first vampire) or just before his death.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Ah, I wasn't thinking Vlad was an ongoing experiment. I was thinking that he was an experiment that got free. He is now a free agent with those who conducted the experiments long gone.

One reason for conducting the experiment on Earth was to get around legal and ethical restrictions in the Hegemony. The experiment generated an unexpected result, Vlad the Vampire.

Now, humanity has to fight the Hegemony without any other allies.
DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, I'm thinking Excalibur Alternative as well not Colin McIntyre.

I don't want Earth to have to worry both about the Hegemony and about the aliens helping them.
PeterZ wrote:Too Mutineer's Moon for me.

Return to Out of the Dark