Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Just read an article about female Marines.

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Just read an article about female Marines.
Post by Festival   » Fri May 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I just read an article in Military Times about female Marines in the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task Force. One of the Marines featured, a crew member on an M777 howitzer, was one Cpl. Allison Devries.

8-)

http://www.militarytimes.com/longform/m ... /26969541/
Re: Just read an article about female Marines.
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Festival wrote:I just read an article in Military Times about female Marines in the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task Force. One of the Marines featured, a crew member on an M777 howitzer, was one Cpl. Allison Devries.

:shock:
:o
Oooooooookay...
Possibility 1) Total coincidence, the universe has a weird sense of humor.
Possibility 2) She decided to join the military after reading the Fury book (I don't know when she joined...)
Possibility 3) The MWW heard of her and decided she'd make a great main character (I don't know when she joined...)

I'm not certain which possibility scares me the most (albeit for different reasons...)
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
Festival wrote:I just read an article in Military Times about female Marines in the Ground Combat Element Integrated Task Force. One of the Marines featured, a crew member on an M777 howitzer, was one Cpl. Allison Devries.

:o
Oooooooookay...
Possibility 2) She decided to join the military after reading the Fury book (I don't know when she joined...)
Possibility 3) The MWW heard of her and decided she'd make a great main character (I don't know when she joined...)

I'm not certain which possibility scares me the most (albeit for different reasons...)

With all due respect, CPL is an E-4, so she probably hasn't been in for more than 2-3 years, but as Path of the Fury was published in December, 1992, it would seem to rule out 2 and 3. It does leave
4) RFC is a true precog, and is not writing science fiction, but future history.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Oooooooookay...

With all due respect, CPL is an E-4, so she probably hasn't been in for more than 2-3 years, but as Path of the Fury was published in December, 1992, it would seem to rule out 2 and 3. It does leave
4) RFC is a true precog, and is not writing science fiction, but future history.
Given that timing it's not impossible that her parents read the book when it was first published and named her after our heroine.
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed May 20, 2015 7:25 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Great topic and thank you! All possibilites exist. How mainstream is the book? Self full filling situations are so cool. Would it be possible to find out names of real people who mirror or rememble Mrs Webers' characters? And what branch of what nations services are they in? Just Mr. Webers stuff ... not other perhaps more mainsteam science fiction stuff like Star Wars or Star Trek. HB
Post by sarawillington   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:05 am

sarawillington
Midshipman

that is a very good post by you ...well done
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
Post by DDHvi   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

HB of CJ wrote:Great topic and thank you! All possibilites exist. How mainstream is the book? Self full filling situations are so cool. Would it be possible to find out names of real people who mirror or rememble Mrs Webers' characters? And what branch of what nations services are they in? Just Mr. Webers stuff ... not other perhaps more mainsteam science fiction stuff like Star Wars or Star Trek. HB

Note name connections with fictional characters various places. Claryk Kent
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote:

4) RFC is a true precog, and is not writing science fiction, but future history.[/quote]

Could it be the other way around? If she were named for our Alicia, she could be between 18 and 22-23 years old. Which is not out of reason for an E-3. Do the Marines do the same as the Air Force and grant stripes for longer enlistments, college, CAP/AFJROTC, etc?

Return to Path of the Fury