Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forum Rules & Information

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Re: Forum Rules & Information
Post by Duckk   » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Beats me, probably a quirk with PHPbb.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by TangoLima   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 am

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I was recently told that when I replied to a post more
than a year old, that I should start a new thread.
This made me realize I was ignorant of unwritten forum
rules. How old must a post be before requiring the
start of a new thread ?
Are there other unwritten rules I am unaware of ?
Assume nearly complete ignorance.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Generally, I wouldn't worry about bumping up old posts, so long as they don't conflict with the unmarked spoilers rule.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

TangoLima wrote:I was recently told that when I replied to a post more
than a year old, that I should start a new thread.
This made me realize I was ignorant of unwritten forum
rules. How old must a post be before requiring the
start of a new thread ?
Are there other unwritten rules I am unaware of ?
Assume nearly complete ignorance.

We call it "Necroing". Usually if a conversation is dead for multiple weeks, it is a good idea just to start a new conversation, with all the concepts you trying to convey framed in the message. That way the readers don't have to re-read several pages of posts trying to understand what you are responding to. Other wise it feels like someone blurting out the answer to a question in a conversation 20 minutes after the question was asked.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
We call it "Necroing". Usually if a conversation is dead for multiple weeks, it is a good idea just to start a new conversation, with all the concepts you trying to convey framed in the message. That way the readers don't have to re-read several pages of posts trying to understand what you are responding to. Other wise it feels like someone blurting out the answer to a question in a conversation 20 minutes after the question was asked.

And as the forum administrator just noted, it is NOT against the rules here.

There's an absurdly stupid obsession among some people that it IS or MUST BE forbidded everywhere.
Not to mention how many excuses exists to rant about how terrible it is. Stupidly annoying.

Unless explicit forum rules says otherwise:
If a new thread is a better idea, sure, but if it's not, then you reply to the old thread, because otherwise you end up like on the spacebattles forum, ten fricking million threads about the same subject that are bloody impossible to find anything in.
Post by Jacob Zavala   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:54 am

Jacob Zavala
Ensign

Hello! I just joined today and was unsure of the protocol for introducing myself. Some forums have a dedicated "New member introduction" forum, subforum, or thread, but I haven't found one. Nor did I see any other introductions when I scanned the forums earlier. This thread, then, seemed the logical place to either inquire about the established methods, or, failing that, just introduce myself. So hi! I'm me.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jacob Zavala wrote:Hello! I just joined today and was unsure of the protocol for introducing myself. Some forums have a dedicated "New member introduction" forum, subforum, or thread, but I haven't found one. Nor did I see any other introductions when I scanned the forums earlier. This thread, then, seemed the logical place to either inquire about the established methods, or, failing that, just introduce myself. So hi! I'm me.

Are you sure of that?

Anyhow, welcome. Enjoy! And suffer while waiting for the next Honor book.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Duckk, and other intelligences of the forum, is there an easier way to find a buried thread's true address/link other than painstaking search of each page?

For instance, I was in need of finding the Artificial Intelligence thread whose true address/link is represented by the following:

{http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5679}

which properly yields... Artificial Intelligence.

However, that topic is somewhat deeply buried on page 33 of the site. Of course, searching for the topic by entering the keywords of "artificial intelligence" yields the topic. However, when "jumping" to the post this address is given:

{http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.phpf=1&t=5679&hilit=artificial+intelligence}

but, although this will link to the topic, it is not a true address when wanting to cue posts with [start="x"] and there is no way to obtain the actual page (page 33 in this case) of the topic even after finding the topic by search and seizure.

Am I missing a trick or something Duckk and members of the forums?

Late Edit:
Umm, never mind. My niece just texted me a workaround. Simply strip the extraneous. Doh! S'times the obvious is sitting right on your nose. And the fact that I never noticed the extraneous. :oops:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Duck any chance of doing something with the Snippets forum to make it more readable? There are all these STICKY threads for older books to scroll down through before getting to the one for Call to Vengeance which is the only active one, and it's not even Sticky. How about reversing these sticky statuses so the one of interest pops to the top? Any other way you can make that happen would be fine too.
Post by Duckk   » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Alright, I'll drop a few.

Return to Path of the Fury