Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Will there be anothor Fury book?

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by CadreFan   » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm

CadreFan
Midshipman

I too am a big fan of Alicia et al. I'm on my second copy of the book as I reread it so much. I too would love to see a sequel or more. Short stories might work as well. But I don't think we need to prequel anyone. Alicia has a new job, but "the team" would like to eliminate that drug trade. How do they do that? Over 1800 worlds, and only ONE bad governor? Only ONE plot to set up a mini-Empire? Alicia has now frustrated two Rish plots (three if you include supporting Treadwell/Howell). Might they put a "contract" out on her (or whatever the Sphere does)?

Technical issues might be interesting. Can Tis read a Rish or a Quarn? Can they feel it when she attempts it?
As the Rish have some molycircs now (thank you Howell), can they field a few synth'd Rish?

If the story of the true source of the FALA comes out, do some Rogue worlds change sides? Alicia is a friend, might they work with her (push over Out-Worlds)? Is she welcome on Ringbolt? On Mathison's World? Does the homestead on Mathison's become a Cadre site? Cadre Recon site for the sector?

Does Uncle Arthur start using her as a #2 doing Recon on hot spots before he gets there? (She is ex-Recon and current Justice Ministry.) Does she work with her Wasps? Does she assist Charlie Company?

Given her unique status of having received an appology from the Emperor, does he consider her one of his personal "special projects" people? Particularly if she keeps her disguise active and prowls the back alleys (back planets?) of the empire.

I'd be delighted to see any combination of these and others dealt with by Team Fury.
Post by KNick   » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 pm

KNick
Admiral

Welcome to the forums, CadreFan. Hopefully, we will get answers to your questions in the fullness of another book (or three). In the meantime, pull up a stool and chat a bit.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by SYED   » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:47 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

What exactly were her fury powers agains, the "magic" abilities she had.

Will she go out and find those in need of vengernce, so victims of slavers and pirates. SHe hunts traitots and enemies.

SHe would make sure all those linked to those that caused the death of her family payed for their sins, then she could route out the corruption of the empire?

Her ship she stole, why was it so special, and why was it built for just one person.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 am

munroburton
Admiral

SYED wrote:What exactly were her fury powers agains, the "magic" abilities she had.

Technically, Tisiphone is the one with the abilities. I think most of the Fury abilities are associated with her, although some may have been lost over the millennia and with Tisi's two original sisters. Mind reading, mass illusion and computer hacking are amongst those.

Her ship she stole, why was it so special, and why was it built for just one person.

Have you read the book? An Alpha Synth is operable by one person because it's designed to take advantage of a small slice of humanity that can integrate fully with computer systems. About 40% can't link with a regular AI and of those who can, even fewer can link with the Alpha Synth and completely run the ship, eliminating the need for a crew. It's also got the armaments of a battleship packed into a light cruiser hull with the speed of a dispatch boat.

I should add that Alicia and her Alpha Synth wasn't a conventional pairing. Tisiphone being present messed up the AI activation and imprinting with the result that the ship's AI is a separate and distinct personality, instead of the ship and pilot becoming one.

As for a sequel, I think we were lucky to get In Fury Born which doubled the original book's length by adding in three mini prequel stories. I'll admit I'm interested in seeing more, either about Alicia or the Empire... but I think Alicia was a prototype for Honor Harrington. The seeds are there, some of the supporting characters were expecting to say "Oh, I knew General DeVries back when she was a larva. And let me tell you..." in twenty years.

If there's a difference, it's that Alicia wouldn't have stopped at beating Pavel Young up. She would have killed him right there in the shower and pissed on his corpse before calling the police.
Post by SYED   » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:02 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

Seeing as this was a short story that got expanded, why not simply write more mini stories to expand it. Give the fury or the ship more back story. Why not write an epilogue story to show the clean up of the bad guys.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Actually, Path of the Fury was a full fledged novel. In Fury Born was an extended edition that included a prequel leading to the beginning of Path of the Fury. There were also minor edits to the original book.

The extended edition stands alone nicely. Going forward will be tough as our terrific trio will be hard pressed to find opponents that they can't go through like an RMN graser through an SLN DD. It can be done and will be worth reading if RFC writes it. I suspect that most of the limits RFC will place on Meg, Alicia and Tis will be self imposed. THAT will be fun to read as they argue about what they can or can't do in a situation.

SYED wrote:Seeing as this was a short story that got expanded, why not simply write more mini stories to expand it. Give the fury or the ship more back story. Why not write an epilogue story to show the clean up of the bad guys.
Post by SYED   » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Her ship seems perfect for pirate hunting, she can bait traps, then blast the fools going after her. The perfect Q ship. Bounty hunters of the galaxcy.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

::a Naughty Moose replies::
Yah, perfection. They do it easily. Boring.
But they cannot be bounty hunters;
they are regular employees of a lawful government!

Naughty Moose

SYED wrote:Her ship seems perfect for pirate hunting, she can bait traps, then blast the fools going after her. The perfect Q ship. Bounty hunters of the galaxcy.
Post by CadreFan   » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:48 pm

CadreFan
Midshipman

KNick wrote:Welcome to the forums, CadreFan. Hopefully, we will get answers to your questions in the fullness of another book (or three). In the meantime, pull up a stool and chat a bit.

What did you want to chat about? Or shall we solve the Empire's problems and make the Emperor's job easier?
Post by KNick   » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:50 pm

KNick
Admiral

CadreFan wrote:
KNick wrote:Welcome to the forums, CadreFan. Hopefully, we will get answers to your questions in the fullness of another book (or three). In the meantime, pull up a stool and chat a bit.

What did you want to chat about? Or shall we solve the Empire's problems and make the Emperor's job easier?

As in any of the other forums, we can discuss anything and everything. For instance, what are the chances of another governor trying to secede from the Empire? Do you think that others are starting to think the Empire is becoming to big and unwieldly? Would checking out the loyalty of bureaucrats be a good use of Ally and Tisiphone?
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!

Return to Path of the Fury