Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Will there be anothor Fury book?

Alicia DeVries and the Furies will make for an interesting way to start a conversation! Join us here to confer about "In Fury Born."
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 pm
Location: Derbyshire, United Kingdom

I'd love another Fury book - but I suspect that our beloved author has rather more pressing titles sitting in his to do list; indeed I am increasingly impatient for the next Safehold, the next Honor Harrington - and indeed the next Bahzell book - so I'm quite prepared to wait a long time for the next installment from Alicia!
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by StealthSeeker   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:31 am

Not that I have any great ideas for a plot for a whole book, but there have to be lots of severely mysterious things that have accumulated in the files of the investigative service that this trio can be sent out to get to the bottom of and each of them could have extremely complex twists. And I would enjoy reading about these adventures.

But as sort of a grin producing side thought, how would our trio deal with some determined amorous pursuit of Ally. The possibilities abound.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:27 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1756
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona

StealthSeeker wrote:Not that I have any great ideas for a plot for a whole book, but there have to be lots of severely mysterious things that have accumulated in the files of the investigative service that this trio can be sent out to get to the bottom of and each of them could have extremely complex twists. And I would enjoy reading about these adventures.

But as sort of a grin producing side thought, how would our trio deal with some determined amorous pursuit of Ally. The possibilities abound.

The only problem I have with another Fury book is that it takes RFC away from writing the next Honorverse and Safehold books.

The man can only do 6 things at once, and one of them has to be breathing.
The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by biochem   » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:14 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1220
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: USA

odinlowejr88 wrote:While Alicia and co. are extremely powerful they have several weaknesses such as:
- With enough numbers they can still be overwhelmed whether in person-to-person battles or ship to ship battles.
- They can only affect their local area and still take time to travel from place to place.
- A way to resist their mental powers could always be introduced whether via other telepaths, a device, or something else.

So it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a plot that exploits these to keep things interesting like:

The lizards secretly building up a much larger fleet than the humans and/or getting in a sneak attack to start that destroys much of the humans fleet.

Coming into contact with a new hostile alien race (lots of neat variations could be done with this such as the emperor deciding or Alicia convincing him to use her as an envoy to the lizards because the invaders are too strong to beat without the lizards joining forces with them.)

A new species of telepathic mind controlling aliens coming into contact with humanity and starting to take control of the human's governments "from within" and Alicia's powers make her the only one capable of investigating them without getting controlled.

Also a book could be done just chronicling the high points of the different investigations that Alicia and co. get sent on. She would be more of a Mary Sue in this instance but challenges could still be developed and Mary Sue stories, if done just right, can still be really fun to read. I'm thinking something similar in some ways to James H. Schmitz's Telzey Amberdon novels.

And there are several plots people have mentioned in previous posts that should be workable.


There is always the standard defense against telepaths... They only can learn what the person they are reading believes to be true. Deceive that person and you have deceived the telepath.
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by jmrdv   » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:43 pm

jmrdv
Midshipman

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:40 pm

I too hope that the future will bring us more books in this fantastic genre. The Fury was one of the best books ever.

jon
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by #hjfc   » Mon May 11, 2015 3:15 pm

#hjfc
Midshipman

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Will there be an audible book of Path of fury or in Fury Born??????
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by LadyPhoenix   » Mon May 25, 2015 10:21 am

LadyPhoenix
Midshipman

Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 am

While I loved Alicia's Story, I think any adventure is likely to be anticlimactic. Alicia's Story of how she built up and then got torn apart and finally became whole again would make most follow up adventures pale.

Yes a story of the parts ripped apart and pulled off her and dealing with it (say destruction of Megaira or separation) might be interesting but I am not sure it would have the same power though our favorite author here can probably make it wonderful.

I would almost rather see story about C company's rebuilding (prequel), adventures after time of Alicia. Story of the young Sir Arthur Keita or Tales of Ben.

I would even more love to see the story of her grandfather and how he got the banner of Terra.

I know it is hard to let go of beloved characters and Alicia is my favorite of all of David's characters (followed by Honor). I just think that any followup stories for her would dilute the power of the original two.
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by pendragon   » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:33 pm

pendragon
Midshipman

Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 pm

The 1st DW book I ever read was Path of the Fury all those many years ago and it led me straight to the Honor Harrington series. When In Fury Born came out I practically devoured it. It answered a lot of the questions from the first book. One of the funniest parts of a book I've ever read came from this book in the scene where Medeara and Tisiphone are trying to explain to Alicia how they "sort of" stole all the drug dealer's money and deposited in the foreign banking system.
It was perfect and I would not only love to see another Fury book but one where that kind interaction is displayed. I love all of the books DW has written, but this is definitely one of my favorites.
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by DennisLee   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:15 pm

DennisLee
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:49 am

LadyPhoenix wrote:... Alicia's Story of how she built up and then got torn apart and finally became whole again would make most follow up adventures pale. ...


I would have to agree with this. I read "Path of fury" back in the ninty's before I read any of the Honor Harrington books. I wasn't until I read some of the forums other than Safehold, Honorverse, War God and Empire of Man that I realized the book had been writtin by David Weber. Once I realized it I got the full volume "In Fury Born" and read that. Excellent stories, but I think everything was explained and wrapped up in the two story volume. Anything following would have to start anew. IMHO I'd rather David focus on wrapping up some of his other stories instead of trying to restart this franchise.
Top
Re: Will there be anothor Fury book?
Post by Fiannawolf   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Fiannawolf
Ensign

Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:25 am

DennisLee wrote:
LadyPhoenix wrote:... Alicia's Story of how she built up and then got torn apart and finally became whole again would make most follow up adventures pale. ...


I would have to agree with this. I read "Path of fury" back in the ninty's before I read any of the Honor Harrington books. I wasn't until I read some of the forums other than Safehold, Honorverse, War God and Empire of Man that I realized the book had been writtin by David Weber. Once I realized it I got the full volume "In Fury Born" and read that. Excellent stories, but I think everything was explained and wrapped up in the two story volume. Anything following would have to start anew. IMHO I'd rather David focus on wrapping up some of his other stories instead of trying to restart this franchise.


Part of me wants more Fury books but I know he has other franchises to finish. I esp want to see if the Safeholdians get back to space to finish the job of kicking much bad guys into suns ect ect.

But I'm pretty much a happy reader. If he ever does get back to this series Ill be there to buy more.
Top

Return to Path of the Fury