Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Printer question

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Printer question
Post by Julia Minor   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:18 am

Julia Minor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I'm planning to replace my old HP printer because I'm getting sick and tired of blowing a third of an ink cartridge on setup/printhead alignment every time I have to replace a cartridge.

One of the things I use my printer for is printing on shrinky-dink plastic, so I have to stick with an inkjet. Laser printers would melt the shrinky plastic inside the printer.

I had been looking at the Epson ET 2750 eco-tank printer. The ink prices aren't bad, and I can get an extra $30 off if I buy it locally and turn in my old printer for recycle at the same time.

My aunt just replaced her printer with a Canon PIXMA MX922. It's way cheaper than the Epson if I buy it off Amazon, and the ink tanks are about the same price as the ink bottles for the Epson, but I'm not sure how long they last.

Does anyone have experience with either of these printers, and if so would you be willing to post your opinions on them?
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Joat42   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Joat42
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1231
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:01 am
Location: Sweden

I was going to say "stay away from ink-jets!" but for you it's not an option.

Sorry to say, I'm not much of a help. :)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4347
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

Julia Minor wrote:Epson ET 2750 ...

My experience with Epson inkjets is that if you don't print at least one page every day the ink will dry up and clog the print-head forever. If you print at least one page every day or two, they work well.

Julia Minor wrote:...Canon ...


My daughter has been using Canon printers for a decade or so. She uses it fairly heavily and has to replace it every two or three years. Hers is a combination printer/copier, but I don't know the precise model.

My other daughter has an HP 3630 combination printer/copier as a network printer. It always seems to be out of color ink when I need to print something over the network. It prints OK, but you're done with HPs anyway. :p
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Daryl   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2603
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

I'm on my third Canon inkjet, similar model. Excellent printer but the ink tanks are very expensive, $110 Australian a pack. So I went on Ebay and bought aftermarket, 4 complete sets for $24. Works just as well as the original ink.
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

There are two basic types of ink-jet printers. Canon printers did, and I think still do, have the print head built into the ink cartridge, so both are replaced together. Most Epson printers had a permanent print head and you only replaced the ink tanks. Cheaper in the main, but when the print head gives up the ghost you’re kind of screwed.

I don’t know if they still do it, but Epson used to embed encrypted chips in their ink cartridges, to prevent the use of any ink cartridges other than theirs. I think they also disabled the printer if you refilled the ink tanks.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Julia Minor   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:57 am

Julia Minor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Weird Harold wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:Epson ET 2750 ...

My experience with Epson inkjets is that if you don't print at least one page every day the ink will dry up and clog the print-head forever. If you print at least one page every day or two, they work well.


Which may be an issue, since I don't need to print daily. Is the printhead somewhere I could get at it with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol? I know I've heard that works to keep them clean, and I have experience using that method to clean the heads on cassette tape players back in the day.
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:26 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 4347
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: "Lost Wages", NV

Julia Minor wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:My experience with Epson inkjets is that if you don't print at least one page every day the ink will dry up and clog the print-head forever. If you print at least one page every day or two, they work well.


Which may be an issue, since I don't need to print daily. Is the printhead somewhere I could get at it with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol?


I never found a way to dissolve the ink that clogged the print-head on my last Epson.
.
.
.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Daryl   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2603
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Depends on the model. The bigger Canons have four separate ink tanks, not connected to the head. Their ink tanks also have an encrypted chip, but the Chinese have long cracked that.

Imaginos1892 wrote:There are two basic types of ink-jet printers. Canon printers did, and I think still do, have the print head built into the ink cartridge, so both are replaced together. Most Epson printers had a permanent print head and you only replaced the ink tanks. Cheaper in the main, but when the print head gives up the ghost you’re kind of screwed.

I don’t know if they still do it, but Epson used to embed encrypted chips in their ink cartridges, to prevent the use of any ink cartridges other than theirs. I think they also disabled the printer if you refilled the ink tanks.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by Julia Minor   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 am

Julia Minor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I think part of my next paycheck will go toward the Canon. Thanks, everyone!
Top
Re: Printer question
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm

smr
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Just stay away from Lexmark printers...never will own another. I own an Brothers, Epson, HP, and Cannon. I will go with Brother, HP, or Cannon. Inkpacks for my Cannon cost about $28. I have Ink for about 3 years. I got it off Amazon. I have no problems with my Epson but one of the other posters has.

Daryl wrote:I'm on my third Canon inkjet, similar model. Excellent printer but the ink tanks are very expensive, $110 Australian a pack. So I went on Ebay and bought aftermarket, 4 complete sets for $24. Works just as well as the original ink.
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...