Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Poul Anderson Fans Rejoice - Operation Chaos & Luna

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Poul Anderson Fans Rejoice - Operation Chaos & Luna
Post by Charybdis   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:29 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

One of my favorites from the very gifted pen of Poul Anderson, Operation Chaos, is being released with its sequel, Operation Luna, as a Kindle Edition on September 18th 2018 and it is now open for pre-order :D . Originally published (in book form) in 1971, it depicts an alternate Earth where magic works along with technology and follows the lives (sequence of short stories) of Steve & Ginny, werewolf & witch respectively, as they fight Satan as an embodiment of Chaos. I am uncertain of when Mr Anderson started this series but I see similarities with Robert Heinlein's 1940 "Magic Inc." where magic is another tool along with technology.

This is one of the books that I am always remembering and desiring in ebook form as I cannot find my old paperback copy. Like some others, notably Zelazny's "Lord of Light" and Zenna Henderson's 'The People' series, there appear to be barriers in getting these deceased authors works into the more available ebook formats :( . Thus I am always delighted when one of these makes it over to the reading side. :!:

Do not get me wrong, there is a delight in sitting and reading a dead-tree book at leisure with an appropriate beverage at hand. That being said, having a book in eprint makes access and usability gains that I find quite nice as well. Add to that the ability to NOT LOSE THE BOOK (moves, fires, loans to 'friends' :evil: etc.) and a very form-friendly airline carry-on, means good things to me!
-----

What say you, my peers?
Re: Poul Anderson Fans Rejoice - Operation Chaos & Luna
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:One of my favorites from the very gifted pen of Poul Anderson, Operation Chaos, is being released with its sequel, Operation Luna, as a Kindle Edition on September 18th 2018 and it is now open for pre-order :D . Originally published (in book form) in 1971, it depicts an alternate Earth where magic works along with technology and follows the lives (sequence of short stories) of Steve & Ginny, werewolf & witch respectively, as they fight Satan as an embodiment of Chaos. I am uncertain of when Mr Anderson started this series but I see similarities with Robert Heinlein's 1940 "Magic Inc." where magic is another tool along with technology.

(Snip by RAW)

The first 3 episodes were published in 1956, 1957, and 1959. The 4th, and longest, was published in 1969. The ISFDB page (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?5347) has the details.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Re: Poul Anderson Fans Rejoice - Operation Chaos & Luna
Post by Charybdis   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Charybdis wrote: ... I am uncertain of when Mr Anderson started this series but I see similarities with Robert Heinlein's 1940 "Magic Inc." where magic is another tool along with technology. (further snip by Charybdis)

The first 3 episodes were published in 1956, 1957, and 1959. The 4th, and longest, was published in 1969. The ISFDB page (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?5347) has the details.

Thank you for this info. There is a 'flavor' to many stories that defines them to a timeframe. The better the author, the less noticeable unless it is part of the story. Some authors like Ray Bradbury and Frederick Brown had this skill down to a 'T'!
-----

What say you, my peers?

Return to Free-Range Topics...