Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Son of GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Russia

cthia wrote:About not believing in the statistics leg of science that most of mankind believe in God.


Which God exactly? There are many of them, you know.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by The E   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:22 pm

The E
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

cthia wrote:
You've always ran from the truth. Since I posted that "proof" you're running like a "scaldy dog."


The proof you posted has some very well-known caveats and restrictions. It is by no means absolute or complete; I am not running from it at all. I even acknowledge its fundamental validity, but the aforementioned caveats mean that I can't take it seriously as a proof for the existence of god.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10465
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Dilandu wrote:
cthia wrote:About not believing in the statistics leg of science that most of mankind believe in God.


Which God exactly? There are many of them, you know.

If you truly understood the concept of God, you'd know there can be only one, or none.

Sigh. Since you two obviously are completely unable to step up your game, perhaps you can entertain each other.

The E meet Dilandu, Dilandu meet The E.

I find you both to be highly compatible and you should find some common ground.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Russia

cthia wrote:If you truly understood the concept of God, you'd know there can be only one, or none.


Nah, there are plenty of polytheistic religions. And even if we assume that God can only be one, then which one exactly? :) There are a lot of religions on Earth. Which one is "only true" (considering that basically any religion claim that it is the one true religion), and exactly why? :) Proofs, Billy. We need proofs (c).
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm
Location: Russia

cthia wrote:Sigh. Since you two obviously are completely unable to step up your game, perhaps you can entertain each other.


Please. We are having too much fun with you here. :D Don't leave us alone.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by gcomeau   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:35 pm

gcomeau
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm

cthia wrote:
The E wrote:
You know how I know you haven't actually read the proof mentioned?

All it says is that Gödel's theorems are correctly formulated assuming his starting axioms are true. However, since no evidence is presented for the validity of those axioms, the assumption that this verification of Gödel's logic is equivalent to proving that god exists is false.



Yatta yatta yatta. And the cow jumped over the moon.

Not only read the proof. I had to translate it to Lisp. Nitwit.


And yet... you clearly didn't understand a damn word of it.

There is a reason they say they "proved" in scare quotes, God's existence.

Because they're just playing around, they didn't prove a damn thing except that some math and computer programs work. Nitwit.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Exidor   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Exidor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm

cthia wrote:As I've once shared and it still holds true, you non believers keep asking us for proof.


If someone makes a statement intended as fact (be it "God exists", "Son of God exists", or anything else) it seems to me that it is only reasonable to request proof.

cthia wrote:Yet the onus of responsibility to produce that proof falls on your head, not ours.


If you make the claim, the responsibility to prove the claim is yours, not that of those that do not accept the statement as fact. That you accept the statement as fact does not mean others have to disprove the claim.

cthia wrote:Since you have so much riding on your intransigence and resistance.


Somebody certainly has alot riding on their "intransigence and resistance", I'll agree. :)

[setting aside the popcorn] My viewpoint is my own, and I'm going to share it as food for thought, not with the intent to get anyone to "shut up".

I believe my job as a Reverend is that of spiritual guidance, not to convert people. To help others regardless of their denomination (or lack thereof).

When I became a Reverend, there were a couple of things I had to accept - the first being there was absolutely no way on earth (or off) for me to prove to anyone the existance of God. Can't be done, no matter what I believe. But...

... I realized I don't have to. If God wants her/his (however one believes) existance proven, it's on those mighty shoulders to do so, not mine.

An individual's relationship with their Creator is exactly that - between themself and (their) God. I am quite certain the way I relate with God is different that the way you do, or the way Dilandu does. Being different is not, however, the same thing as being wrong.

Christians are called on to witness unto others, not to proselytize; to live their lives in such a way as to bring glory onto the lord, not to sow strife because others don't believe as you do. To share, not to impose.

To me, what you're doing with your "you must prove God does not exist" viewpoint is attempting to to impose your belief on others, not sharing - not witnessing for God/Jesus. And the more vehemently you rail against those that do simply not their head and agree - the more you tend to either drive people away or cause them to simply ignore you. This glorifies no one - and (to my point of view) does not please God.

Now, I'll step back from the pulpit. Feel free to disregard any of my words - I do not expect nor demand any reply. I simply felt moved to share a different point of view. :)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

cthia wrote:About not believing in the statistics leg of science that most of mankind believe in God.

Damn. Not again. I have told you, and told you, AND TOLD YOU, and you still don’t seem capable of understanding. It's not the statistics we disagree with.

Argumentum ad populum is a well-known fallacy! It is a delusion to believe that facts are determined not by evidence, logic and reason but by how many Believe. When you are wrong, IT DOES NOT MATTER how many idiots agree with you; you, and they, are still wrong. Applying statistics to a logical fallacy does not make it any less stupid!

The vast majority of people have, in the past, believed many things. They believed that the sun orbited the earth, that epilepsy was caused by demonic possession, and that witches caused the Black Plague. We now know all of those things to be wrong — AND THE PEOPLE WHO BELIEVED THEM WERE WRONG, TOO!

If every single person in the world Believed that identical electrostatic charges attract, would that make it true?

I’ve spent the last couple of days watching a few dozen of Aron Ra’s videos on YouTube, wherein he debunks the fundies’ attempts to subvert education in this country, and indeed to destroy the very concept of science. A few people asked why he does it, and he said he can’t stand to let such nonsense go unchallenged.

I have come up with my own answer:

I don’t much care what they believe, or claim to. It’s not my business. But when they attempt to impose their unfounded beliefs upon others by force, or intimidation, or deceit, when they try to get the government to impose them on everybody, it becomes the business of every thinking person who values rational thought, who believes that facts are important, and objective truth matters. It is our duty to call bullshit when we see it. Even if we can’t stop the bullshitters, we must at least try to warn the unwary.
———————————
I used to live on a farm. I know what bullshit smells like.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Exidor wrote:If someone makes a statement intended as fact (be it "God exists", "Son of God exists", or anything else) it seems to me that it is only reasonable to request proof.

Oops. I meant that title in the sense of 'Son of the old GOD EXISTS topic' that got Duckk'd a long time ago.

Now I can see how it could be interpreted differently.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10465
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Imaginos1892 wrote:
Exidor wrote:If someone makes a statement intended as fact (be it "God exists", "Son of God exists", or anything else) it seems to me that it is only reasonable to request proof.

Oops. I meant that title in the sense of 'Son of the old GOD EXISTS topic' that got Duckk'd a long time ago.

Now I can see how it could be interpreted differently.


Imaginos, I admit that I was/am aware of that. I was being playful and just a tad bit serious, as it is what we call, a Freudian slip, which is a slave to the subconscious trying to get out. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...