Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Son of GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Exidor wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:You believe in an invisible magic man living in the sky without reason or cause.

And you know I have no reason or cause for my belief because... ?

Can you identify one tiny detail about the universe that would be different depending on whether your god exists, or does not? Some universally verifiable property of anything that indicates the existence of your god? If you can, you’ve found something that has eluded theologians for millennia. If you can’t, what cause is there for believing in a god that makes no difference to the universe?

Exidor wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:I can create a rainbow in my back yard by spraying water under a light source and looking at it from the correct angle. Does that mean there's a god in my garden hose?

Yep - I can do that too. Create the physics behind it... nope, not in my toolbox.

Objection. Assumption of cause without evidence. Assumption of causative entity without evidence.

Your unfounded belief that the optical properties of light and water drops had to be created does not make it so.

Exidor wrote:The worst argument I ever had with a teacher was with a substitute junior-high science teacher on the topic of whether or not the Moon rotates on an axis.

Hold one hand up as if gripping an invisible baseball. Hold up your other fist with the thumb facing the hand. Move the fist in a circle while keeping the thumb facing the hand, and when you can’t go any farther say, “That’s as far as my fist will rotate.” If he still doesn't get the point, that's one dumb-ass science teacher.

Exidor wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:If God existed, he'd bitch-slap all those idiot creationists for making him look bad.

Probably going to regret the asking , but why do you believe that?

Because they claim to speak for God, and are such transparent lying sacks of shit.
———————————
In one of Aron Ra’s lectures, he said a creationist told him he could prove the existence of Jesus by fasting and praying in the desert for 30 days.

If you wandered around in the desert for a month without eating, you’d definitely find out if Jesus is real. The folks who have to go fetch your desiccated corpse from the middle of nowhere won’t be terribly impressed with your spiritual enlightenment.
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:34 am

The E
Admiral

Exidor wrote:I think someone simply holding the belief isn't harming anyone - it's what actions are taken because of that belief that determines harm has been done.

Sure. When was the last time you suppressed one of your deeply held beliefs to deal with someone because you didn't want to cause them offence?
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I ask non believers whether they would choose. . .

to be or not to be. . . God.

If a choice exists. Why do I ask?

Because It frightens the hell out of me to envision this Earth completely devoid of religion. Therefore, nothing to soothe the savage beast world wide. That is what atheists aspire to. They call themselves scientists, but if science is telling them to be self-destructive, they might wish to reconsider it, because quite frankly. . .

A world without religion and faith frightens the hell out of me.

On one level, I admit to being chicken shit.

I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts, that if there comes a time the world is one decision away from annihilation, I'd like to think, hope, even pray that the human in the hot seat will say these words "God help us." They usually do.

What about you? What would be your last words before pushing the button?

But again, it frightens the hell out of me to consider this Earth without religion. If I were honest I'd admit that I'd be afraid to even be in this forum without religion. If only for the simple fact that I'd be more prone to simply choke the snot out of many of ya. LOL

I just don't think atheists really understand what they wish for.

If an all powerful - all knowing - entity wants to save you from yourself, let him.

God must really have a sense of humor or he'd slap all of us upside the head.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:..snip..
Because It frightens the hell out of me to envision this Earth completely devoid of religion. Therefore, nothing to soothe the savage beast world wide. That is what atheists aspire to. They call themselves scientists, but if science is telling them to be self-destructive, they might wish to reconsider it, because quite frankly. . .

..snip..

I present you with 2 choices, pick one:
  • An earth devoid of religion
  • An earth where the biggest religious faction worship Satan

And I find it scary that you believe atheist has no concept of goodness or self preservation (because that is what you allude to) and that without religion humanity will run amok.

The absence of religion doesn't mean there is an absence of faith. Religion doesn't have a monopoly on faith, morality and goodness.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:15 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

cthia wrote:I ask non believers whether they would choose. . .

to be or not to be. . . God.

If a choice exists. Why do I ask?

On one level, I admit to being chicken shit.

And pointlessly so to boot...

Would you feel safer living in the bluer areas of this map, or the other areas?

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-conten ... 03-05-.png
Post by Daryl   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:00 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Thanks gcomeau, the map says it all really.
I must admit to being peeved by the statement that I and most other humans are naturally not kind and ethical, but are restrained by some old rules. The bible may say "do not kill" but it also says don't eat shell fish or pork, and don't wear more than one type of fabric at the same time.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:34 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:…and don't wear more than one type of fabric at the same time.

Does 40% cotton, 60% polyester count as one fabric, or two? Are we all going to Hell? Are we going to Hell just for wearing polyester at all? What about leather? Is it permissible to wear leather with other kinds of clothing, or was it considered a fabric back then? Why doesn't The Bible ever tell us any of the things that really matter?

cthia wrote:Because It frightens the hell out of me to envision this Earth completely devoid of religion. Therefore, nothing to soothe the savage beast world wide. That is what atheists aspire to. They call themselves scientists, but if science is telling them to be self-destructive, they might wish to reconsider it, because quite frankly. . .

Every law ever made was written by men, including the 'commandments' in those old stories. We do not need The Great Ghu to tell us that murder, rape, robbery, fraud, arson and vandalism are wrong; we only need to know the one thing evolution has instilled in us at an instinctual level — that LIFE HAS VALUE.

That's it. Everything else proceeds from that single premise. Enhancing life is Right, damaging life is Wrong. Damaging someone else's life to enhance yours is also Wrong, because that inevitably damages other lives.

cthia wrote:I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts, that if there comes a time the world is one decision away from annihilation, I'd like to think, hope, even pray that the human in the hot seat will say these words "God help us." They usually do.

And they usually decide that God has told them to smite the infidels, or the heathens, or the heretics, or whatever label they've put on all people who don't agree with their religion to make them less than human. And then they do it, as they have countless times throughout history. "Kill them all, and God will know his own!"

cthia wrote:But again, it frightens the hell out of me to consider this Earth without religion. If I were honest I'd admit that I'd be afraid to even be in this forum without religion. If only for the simple fact that I'd be more prone to simply choke the snot out of many of ya. LOL

Maybe you need an all-seeing, all-powerful judgemental entity standing over you with a club to convince you that harming other people is wrong. I don't. I guess I'm just better than that.
———————————
99% of creationists misuse big words because they do not understand them. The remaining 1% deliberately misuse big words in order to deceive people.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

"Kill them all, and God will know his own!" "

Was originally said by a christian Bishop about a christian village that refused to hand over supposed heretics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:"Kill them all, and God will know his own!"

Was originally said by a christian Bishop about a christian village that refused to hand over supposed heretics.

That is the point…

cthia fears a world without religion. I strongly suspect that it would be a damn sight less scary than the world has been with religion.

For example, there are some interesting statistical correlations here in the US — strongly religious people commit more, and worse, crimes than non-religious people. They have more underage pregnancies, and more abortions. Their children are more likely to run away from home, and get into worse trouble when they do. Proportionally, there are far fewer atheists/agnostics/skeptics in prison than in the general population. Is he going to claim they are that much better at not getting caught?

There are few things scarier than a nutjob convinced that 'God is on his side'.
———————————
Their ‘evidence’ is a collection of 3,000-year-old folk tales adapted or outright stolen from even older folk tales by a bunch of ignorant superstitious primitives that didn’t know jack about shit. And, they heard voices. Today we’ve got drugs for that.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Son of your imaginary friend exists only in your head.

Return to Free-Range Topics...