Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Son of GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1076
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

This argument has nothing to do with Painfully Bad Fan Fiction, so I’ve moved it to a new topic until it gets Duckk’d again.

Maybe it should be moved into Politics?

cthia wrote:I agree with you. There should be some place on the forum to discuss religion. There isn't. And alas, it is frowned upon here. This is listed as the Free Range section. So I guess religion is not free, except it is, but oftentimes comes with a terrible earthly cost in the form of Religious Persecution. A true believer knows that the cost is not terrible, but good.

Religious discussions are not ‘frowned upon’ but they tend to get Duckk’d when people start repeating the same things over and over. Some of us think that’s a mistake. People are going to talk about religion. No matter how many times you try to stop them, they will keep doing it. They will either create new topics, or take over existing ones. I think it’s better to keep this stuff in its own topics than have it proliferate to inappropriate places and take over completely unrelated topics.

How, exactly, is religious persecution a good thing? It certainly exists; the members of most religions persecute those who believe in other religions, or none. Moslem fanatics take this to ridiculous extremes by murdering people who write the ‘wrong’ things, or draw the ‘wrong’ pictures. Is that what you’re advocating?

cthia wrote:"Mankind fears what he does not understand," has long been a phrase attributed to humanity. Nowhere else does that sentiment become more obvious than when the subject of God appears.*

Well, that’s the whole point of religion. Thousands of years ago, when people hardly understood anything, they made up religion in an attempt to escape their fears.

cthia wrote:I created a thread once upon a time ago and it was killed. Click on GOD EXISTS. When it was killed some people objected to the insanity and blatant unfairness of it.

It is sad, especially since the author himself is a believer. But what can one do? Except prey for those who do not understand that the fight is against Powers and Principalities. They are lost.

I didn’t say anything about insanity, or unfairness, only that it was a mistake, for the reasons I cite above.

Powers and Principalities? No, the argument is between those of us who use facts, logic and reason to understand the universe, and those who reject logic and reason.

cthia wrote:Daryl, it is untrue that I did not argue fact. I did argue fact. And logic. Reread the thread.

The only fact you have to offer is that some stories were written several thousand years ago by a bunch of primitive, superstitious people who lacked any modern knowledge of astronomy, physics, geology, chemistry, mathematics or biology. Today we can see that those stories are filled with their ignorance.

cthia wrote:When any subject regarding God appears, people go into a frenzy.

We require evidence that there is any meaning to the subject. How is that a ‘frenzy’?

cthia wrote: What will they do when the Deity himself returns?

Well, if that happens, I will agree that you’re right.

cthia wrote:I asked a question. . . "If you had a choice, would you choose for God to exist. IOW, do you want there to be a God?"

The existence or non-existence of your god is independent of what we believe, or want to believe. That is the nature of reality — it exists whether you want it to or not.

cthia wrote:Not a single person responded. I'm sure you find that interesting too Chuck.

That is a lie. Several people responded, including me. You just didn’t like what we said.

I choose the truth. I want my beliefs to conform to reality. In the millennia since those stories were written, we have found ways to determine what is true, and what is not. We call that process ‘science’ and it has provided us with answers to many of the questions that haunted those primitive peoples, and to other questions they never even thought to ask.

This topic is all about what you want us to believe. If you want us to believe in your god:

PROVIDE

SOME

EVIDENCE!

Something other than unverifiable fairy tales written by long-dead people who lacked the most basic elements of a modern education.
———————————
Always, ALWAYS have a Plan O — for Oh Shit!
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by The E   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:55 pm

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

Imaginos1892 wrote:How, exactly, is religious persecution a good thing? It certainly exists; the members of most religions persecute those who believe in other religions, or none. Moslem fanatics take this to ridiculous extremes by murdering people who write the ‘wrong’ things, or draw the ‘wrong’ pictures. Is that what you’re advocating?


Indeed. And christian fanatics are the same, just less honest about it.

Well, that’s the whole point of religion. Thousands of years ago, when people hardly understood anything, they made up religion in an attempt to escape their fears.


It has been posited, and I have found nothing to disprove the notion, that religion is an outgrowth of the massive pattern-matching apparatus that are our brains; millions of years of evolution have shaped us into beings that are, on a basic level, thoroughly convinced that it is better to see tigers where there aren't any than it is to see no tiger where there is one.

Pareidolia is a strong component of the human "operating system", as it were.

Powers and Principalities? No, the argument is between those of us who use facts, logic and reason to understand the universe, and those who reject logic and reason.


From what he has said, cthia is strongly convinced that it is possible to prove the existence of god using rational, logical means.
He has so far not been forthcoming in regards to his methodology or been willing to answer the question of what he will do if he fails to find the proof he is looking for, so I for one am going to take his pronouncements on the matter with a mountain of salt.
After all, the mark of a true scientist is the ability to accept it when your experiments fail or your methodology is proven faulty...

cthia wrote: What will they do when the Deity himself returns?

Well, if that happens, I will agree that you’re right.


And that's the difference, right? The willingness to be convinced of the other possibility in the argument but having defined criteria for it, that's the difference between a proper skeptic and a true believer.

cthia wrote:I asked a question. . . "If you had a choice, would you choose for God to exist. IOW, do you want there to be a God?"


I would definitely want there to be a god, if only because it is good to have someone to blame for what are clearly mistakes of his.

Sarcasm aside though, Imaginos is right: Whether I want one to exist or not is immaterial. Either a god or gods exist or they don't; It doesn't matter until it can be proven that their existence has actual, tangible effects on ours.

In a way, it's like the simulation argument: If the ground assumptions of the simulation argument are true, and thus the probability of us being in a simulation are reaching near certainty, then that won't change our lives one iota unless we find ways of exploiting that.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10682
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm


Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Posts: 2274
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 am
Location: Bristol, England

cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS

doG Exists!

And it is a Good Dog!
...except when drunk-driving a motorbike...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
Animal Crossing Dreams at 6E00-00F5-2891
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 am

Dilandu
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

...One godly men once exclaimed:

"Oh, God, I lived all my life as a good men only thanks to my belief in You, hope for Your salvation and fear of Your wraith!"

And the God answered to him:

"Seriously? No, seriously? After all this countless millenias, you still need to seek for reward and to fear the punishment from supernational creature just to be a good man?!"
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10682
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Michael Everett wrote:
cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS

doG Exists!

And it is a Good Dog!
...except when drunk-driving a motorbike...


Man is blind. God created for him a seeing eye animal so he won't get run over by the demons of road rage while blindly trying to cross Religious St., or end up on the dead end street of disbelief.

If you look at the doG in the mirror you'll see God - man's best friend.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 am

Dilandu
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

cthia wrote:
If you look at the doG in the mirror you'll see God - man's best friend.



I'm sorry, but even in mirror Russian word "sobaka" (i.e. "dog"), have little similarity to "Bog" (i.e. "God").
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10682
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Dilandu wrote:
cthia wrote:
If you look at the doG in the mirror you'll see God - man's best friend.



I'm sorry, but even in mirror Russian word "sobaka" (i.e. "dog"), have little similarity to "Bog" (i.e. "God").


Have faith Dilandu. Use the force.

If you look at sobaka in the mirror you'll see God's alias. . . aka boss.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by The E   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:27 am

The E
Admiral

Posts: 2034
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

cthia wrote:Man is blind. God created for him a seeing eye animal so he won't get run over by the demons of road rage while blindly trying to cross Religious St., or end up on the dead end street of disbelief.

If you look at the doG in the mirror you'll see God - man's best friend.

cthia wrote:Have faith Dilandu. Use the force.

If you look at sobaka in the mirror you'll see God's alias. . . aka boss.


Tell us more about how rational and logical you are, please.
Top
Re: Son of GOD EXISTS
Post by smr   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 pm

smr
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1177
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Ask God to prove himself to you if you don't believe then nothing will happen. We get that you don't believe either sack up or shut up. Are you man of action or rhetoric? @theE
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...