Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests

So, funny story....

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
So, funny story....
Post by The E   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:56 pm

The E
Admiral

So here's something I never thought would happen.

About 9 months ago, I wrote a short story. It's a piece of fanfiction based on the Destiny videogame franchise; I wrote it mostly to prove to myself that I could. I incorporated things that I felt Destiny was lacking: Exploration of the interiority of characters (what does it feel like to be a human consciousness running in a robotic shell infused with Space Magic), exploration of things Destiny, as an MMO, can't ever really do (strategic consequences for player actions, personal stories based on character background), and a few references to my favourite SF authors.

I posted it around, got some positive feedback (not a lot, but still), and then kinda forgot about it; concepts for a sequel still sitting on my harddrive waiting for me to have time and energy to write more. That, I thought, was the end of it.

Late this April, I got a personal message on these forums. In it, the person writing me exhorted me to "JUST DO IT", accused me of hacking their windows tablet, and told me that their sister was an actual lawyer chomping at the bit to sue me. But read for yourself:
Oh please. You've hacked my WINDOWS tablet. A tablet that was given to me by an old lady belonging to her son who left it for her when he attended college, because she hated it. I haven't even changed the password. And I won't. I want it to be as easy as pie for you since you've got a real hardon. Three of my friends use the damn thing. Squirming? Go ahead. Make my day. I'm waiting for it. Go on. The power of the purse compels you.

Go on. Hang yourself. I'M DARING YOU! Well go on! All talk and no bank account. You've already misstepped. Who has whom at their mercy?

My sister's bugging the hell out of me to pull the legal trigger. She's my corporate lawyer and she wants to cook some fries. I'm waiting for the fries to be burned. GO ON. MAKE HER DAY AND STOP YAPPING!

I'm waiting!

At first, I was a bit mystified. I thought, well, sure sounds like that person was a wee bit careless with that PC (note how they note that it was a second-hand PC that is used by multiple people and, presumably, all running on one account) and got themselves cryptolockered. How exactly that person figured I was behind that was a complete mystery to me; I am neither a producer nor distributor of malware. Ultimately though, I shrugged it off; this isn't the first time I've had run-ins with insane people on the internet.

I did, however, pass this on to Duckk: After all, who knows what that person was deciding to do next; maybe he'd like to know about it.
I also wrote this answer:
What?

I am not entirely sure what you are on about, but I can guarantee you that whatever is happening with that tablet is none of my doing.

Let me be absolutely clear about something though: I do not appreciate being threatened. If you truly believe I have done you harm in any way beyond making posts on these here forums, go ahead and file all the lawsuits you want against me. I am confident that nothing will come of them aside from you wasting your own time and money on a Vendetta that, as far as I am concerned, is kind of hilarious (and definitely not serious enough for me to even contemplate breaking laws over).

Furthermore, I am not in the business of uttering threats I cannot back up and have little to no respect for people who do. So, that "Just Do It" thing? Right back at you. I'm curious to see how far you're willing to take these delusions of yours.

Now, you might be wondering why I was talking about that piece of fanfic in the beginning.
Duckk informed me that the inciting incident, the incontrovertible evidence that I had hacked that PC, was apparently that that story incorporated something (and I am really not sure what that something is; that, more than anything, is what I am curious about in this) that only the person threatening me would know. No, don't ask me how a story about a spacefuture robot magic man based on one of the biggest franchises in videogames right now happens to include something so secret, but there we are.

Why am I posting this now?
Well, as I said, I am not a fan of people making threats they can't back up. Since I threatened to post this story here, publically, if I wasn't getting a private apology and retraction or a lawsuit delivered to my door, and since neither has happened, this is me delivering on that threat.
You see that, unnamed person? This is what happens if your delusions stray into being mildly annoying to me. A callout post, carefully constructed to omit anything that might hint at your identity.

This is all I have ever done to you. Posts on this forum. Nothing more, nothing less; I literally do not care enough about you, your identity or what you do outside of this small corner of the internet to ever do anything more.

But let me tell you: Should the unlikely happen and you manage to a) figure out who I am, b) find a way to convince a lawyer to draft a lawsuit and c) figure out how to serve me, then I will happily hire an actual lawyer with an actual law degree to defend myself, win, and get damages from you.
Re: So, funny story....
Post by Daryl   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'll happily testify for the other side for enough money.
Obviously just joking. Reminds me of how I was convinced about 30 years ago that an idea of mine had been stolen, in that I wrote a short story about a specifically designed plague that only effected certain people, got lots of rejections, then Frank Herbert published White Plague about an artificial virus that killed only women, but put the survival of the human species in doubt. I did become paranoid for a while, but time has convinced me that it was a coincidence.
I'm sure that this is a scam.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Back when I was a schoolboy (all those years and years and years ago... things were still in black and white back then :lol: ), a friend and I had the same route to and from school, so we often talked as we walked.
For several months, we would discuss the deep meaning of the universe, coming up with ideas about things like the nature of gravity and how time and space interact etc (we were/are sci-fi nerds...).
For several months, we joked that we were being spied on as our meandering discussions correlated quite well with official releases from known scientists.

We finally decided it was the universe poking fun at us.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by The E   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:I'm sure that this is a scam.

The poster in question is one of this forums' regulars; If this is a scam, it is the weirdest possible form of scam I can imagine. I would figure that, if this was a scam, there would be some form of offer forthcoming (i.e. "Pay me x to make this go away" or something); in my communications with the other party, no such offer or demand has been made.

I mean, there was a demand for me to start violating the law, but for fairly obvious reasons that's not one I will comply with.
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:42 am

gcomeau
Admiral

The E wrote:
The poster in question is one of this forums' regulars; If this is a scam, it is the weirdest possible form of scam I can imagine. I would figure that, if this was a scam, there would be some form of offer forthcoming (i.e. "Pay me x to make this go away" or something); in my communications with the other party, no such offer or demand has been made.

I mean, there was a demand for me to start violating the law, but for fairly obvious reasons that's not one I will comply with.

Ha, I can think of a handful of candidates for who that person was just from reading that diatribe, but I'll refrain from publicly speculating... ;)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:01 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, the internet is full of pathetic little wankers like that. They never get it. They will never comprehend the fact that nobody is 'out to get them' because we don't give a rat's ass.

Nobody is after their 'original' ideas, that's for sure. People see that I write a little, and try to give me ideas from time to time. I don't want 'em. Ideas are easy. Ideas are cheap. Everybody has hundreds of ideas. Putting ideas into words that make sense and are enjoyable to read, that's the hard part.

Really, bub, 'The E' didn't even know you existed until you pitched your little tantrum. Now we all know, but we don't much care. Crawl back into your hole and stop annoying the grownups.
———————————
Not everybody should go to college. Some folks, you send 'em to college and you just wind up with an educated idiot.
Post by The E   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 am

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Really, bub, 'The E' didn't even know you existed until you pitched your little tantrum. Now we all know, but we don't much care. Crawl back into your hole and stop annoying the grownups.

Small correction, I did know that person existed. They are a forum regular, after all, and this forums' population isn't large enough to make remembering who the regulars are impossible or even difficult.

I just don't really care enough about them to ever go beyond this forum in my interactions with them.
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I tried to see from how the message was written who it was, but am unsure.
What I am sure of is that you did exactly the right thing. The more open and public the response the better.

Return to Free-Range Topics...