Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Meltdown/Spectre - Double whammy of CPU bugs

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Meltdown/Spectre - Double whammy of CPU bugs
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have personally tested the Raspberries. They are indeed immune.

Bad news, my Cray is not. But then, it is totally isolated from the outside world.

BSD Linux was thought to be making some headway, but nope. There are a team of private programmers attempting a rewrite of certain parts of the BSD kernel. Very private attempts due to security.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

aairfccha wrote:Aaand apparently Intel just managed to set off Linus Torvalds by implementing their fixes against Spectre in a way that the OS has to activate them, in other words keeping the default state unsafe.

Well, of course! They have to remain 'compatible' with MICROSHAFT WIN-BLOWS, where security is a hacked-on afterthought.

cthia wrote:I have personally tested the Raspberries. They are indeed immune.

They're based on ARM, so of course they don't have Intel bugs. But why would a Cray have the same bugs? Is it built out of Intel CPUs?

IBM's idiotic design of the original PC still plagues us 35 years later…as does their idiotic choice to use MS-DOG. All because they wanted to ensure that some 'toy' would never, ever compete with their 'real' computers.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by The E   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:04 pm

The E
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
aairfccha wrote:Aaand apparently Intel just managed to set off Linus Torvalds by implementing their fixes against Spectre in a way that the OS has to activate them, in other words keeping the default state unsafe.

Well, of course! They have to remain 'compatible' with MICROSHAFT WIN-BLOWS, where security is a hacked-on afterthought.

...You know that none of what you just said is true, right.
Post by aairfccha   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:43 pm

aairfccha
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:They're based on ARM, so of course they don't have Intel bugs.

They are affected by Spectre and the Cortex-A75 even by Meltdown.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

aairfccha wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:They're based on ARM, so of course they don't have Intel bugs.

They are affected by Spectre and the Cortex-A75 even by Meltdown.

The Rasperry is not affected because they do not deploy out of order execution, the vector needed to infect.

As I said, I tested every iteration of Raspberry and they are indeed immune. I mentioned once on the forum that I own enough Raspberries to make wine, or pie.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Free-Range Topics...