Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Tau Zero

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Tau Zero
Post by Daryl   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Just read how astronomers have located an enormous black hole that must have existed quite early in the universe, leading some to speculate that instead of a Big Bang we had a Big Bounce.
Brought back fond memories of Tau Zero by Poul Anderson in 1970. Worth a read even now.
Re: Tau Zero
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:38 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Just read how astronomers have located an enormous black hole that must have existed quite early in the universe, leading some to speculate that instead of a Big Bang we had a Big Bounce.
Brought back fond memories of Tau Zero by Poul Anderson in 1970. Worth a read even now.

A "Big Bounce" vs "The Big Bang" -- also known as Expanding vs Shrinking -- has been debated since long before Anderson's fictitious interpretation. Doesn't make Anderson a bad author, but he got a lot of his "Hard Science" wrong.

Asimov's "The Last Question" is a better end-of-the-universe story to my tastes.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:56 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Back before they were taken over, Image Comics had an interesting take using the WildC.A.T.S-linked Kherubim Super-soldier Mr Majestic (Superman-esque powers). He and a very few other Immortals survived until the end of the Universe where they were contacted by a former ally of his who had foreseen the end and come up with a way to get through the End and see what happened next.
By uploading Mr Majestic and his allies into a virtual Hive-mind, they were able to examine all of reality as entropy hit the buffers, then they accidentally kick-started a new universe with the shared thought "There really should be some light".

Not much of a plot, but the visuals and the feeling of a warrior watching helplessly as everything wound down for the last time was quite different from normal comics.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

As our universe was created by the Big Bang, an alternate universe may have been created by its yang.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Free-Range Topics...