Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

The Four Horsemen

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: The Four Horsemen
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I find it really rather arrogant that you 14 % are against the overwhelming collective consciousness. Statistically. And, well, statistics is a part of the very science that your wobbly legs stand on.

Well, I see you’ve settled on argumentum ad populum this time — appeal to popular opinion, the most frequently used fallacious argument. The common delusion that facts are decided not by evidence, logic and reason but by how many people believe them.

Many times in history, the vast majority of people have believed things which were subsequently proven to be wrong. Before the discovery of microorganisms, people believed that a wide variety of things caused diseases. Before the discovery of plate tectonics, they believed the Earth’s geography was permanent and unchangeable. They believed the Earth was the center of the universe. Today we know that all of them were wrong.

I don’t give a rat’s ass how many people believe something; I only care whether it is true or not. If every single person in the world believed that identical electrostatic charges attract, would that make it true?

A substantial majority of the world’s population do not believe in your god. Statistically. So, by your own argument you must be wrong to do so.
———————————
I used to live on a farm. I know what bullshit smells like.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The arrogance of man is astounding.

I consider myself a computer scientist. In my long career, I've come up against many professionals in all walks of life who do not believe in the existence of God, yet believe that one day man will create a true Artificial Intelligence. A true A.I. is indeed life. It is simply arrogant that man believes some day he will create life, but that some entity long ago couldn't have beat him to it.

The arrogance of educated man is appalling.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eyal   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:The arrogance of man is astounding.

I consider myself a computer scientist. In my long career, I've come up against many professionals in all walks of life who do not believe in the existence of God, yet believe that one day man will create a true Artificial Intelligence. A true A.I. is indeed life. It is simply arrogant that man believes some day he will create life, but that some entity long ago couldn't have beat him to it.

That something is theoretically possible is not evidence that it actually happened.
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eyal wrote:

That something is theoretically possible is not evidence that it actually happened.

Nor evidence au contraire, mon frère.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The arrogance of man is a given.

Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

And yet you believe that because 84% of man believe something, it must be true.

Sometimes it's not a good thing to follow the herd. Ask a lemming.

We have already built computers that far exceed the human brain's processing capacity. We have increased the processing power of computers by more than a hundred billion times in the last 50 years, and there are no signs that we are approaching any sort of limit. Programming in self-awareness and true intelligence may or may not be possible; the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see. How is that arrogant? Especially if we succeed!

You are the arrogant one, proclaiming that it's not possible because it would offend some figment of your imagination.

Very, very few people are claiming that it's not possible for 'some entity' to have created life long ago. We simply point out that there is no observable, verifiable evidence that one did, and that it is irrational to believe so without evidence.
———————————
I used to live on a farm. I know what bullshit smells like.
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:45 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:[
So you would deny that nitrogen and oxygen are the primary constituents of air...
No, she said you can't see "air" If it's liquid in a bowl then it's not air. If it's air then you can't see it. There is evidence that they are the same material - but not the same state. As to heat, there are some things you can see in the air - cooling water vapor, CO2 (ie: smoke) some forms of heat, but still not the (full) air itself, so her statement stands.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:52 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:The Christian faiths in particular have devoted a great deal of effort and considerable resources to denying facts they find inconvenient.
No, as far as I know, Jesus hasn't denied anything for over 2 millennia - certain people who claim to be 'Christian' deny things that threaten their power base and income, but they also persecute Jesus' relatives (Jews) while claiming to 'love' Jesus (an Orthodox Jew - and no not black - or white - he was Jewish.)

Imaginos1892 wrote:... this topic’s intended purpose is a waste of time and bits.
If that's what you believe - then stop wasting our time with your myths.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Michael Everett wrote: despite the breeding of wolves into dogs and the directed breeding of farmstock, they refused to believe that things could change (or rather, that things could change without a Superior Intelligence directing them)...
Dogs and livestock just happened randomly??? wait the superior intelligence of the farmers and breeders had nothing to do with it? hmmmm... :roll:
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Eyal wrote:That something is theoretically possible is not evidence that it actually happened.

If the Universe was a closed finite universe, then you would be right, and its acceleration would also be slowing down, not speeding up.
In an Infinite-open Universe then the infinite gravity beyond each mass would pull it away from any others not within a close enough proximity. since all matter would be subject to the same situation throughout infinity in all directions, the result would be an accelerating expansion (falling away from) As with two astronauts, in orbit between the Earth and Moon, one closer (gravitationally) to Earth and one closer (gravitationally) to the Moon, each would see the other accelerating away from them (towards the other planetary body). this is what we see in this Universe. Everything is accelerating (falling) away from everything else not in its close neighborhood. This is gravitational acceleration caused by the infinite universe beyond what is observable through light (no some unknown magical 'dark' energy that nobody can detect).
In an infinite Open Universe, with an infinite chance to do anything, ANYTHING that can happen does happen - so if it's possible then it is. simply because there were an infinite number of tries to do so, and an infinite (though smaller) number of those tries succeeded (they had to.) Therefore God Must exist because he could exist and therefore couldn't not exist. (If you could follow that)
-

Return to Free-Range Topics...