Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by The E   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:season 2 episode the 37s Tom Paris states that Voyagers top speed is warp 9.9 or approximately 4 billion miles per second which is a little over 20000 times the speed of light.

70000 ly's 20000 times the speed of light for Warp 9.9 let along 9.975

3.5 years. Double that for refueling etc... 7 years is not that big of a deal.

This is contradicted by the episodes Relativity, Scorpion Part 2, Friendship One, Caretaker (this is from Voyager's run alone), the ST:TNG Tech Manual, the ST:VOY tech manual, and various other sources.

"The 37's" is a massive outlier on an issue that VOY has treated fairly consistently (Yes, there are episodes like "Unimatrix Zero" where Voyager is flying much faster than it should be able to). So why is it the authoritative source for you?

Please explain why this one statement by a character not known for his strict avoidance of hyperbole in a show (talking about Star Trek as a whole) not known for its strict adherence to previously established facts is a hard fact.
Post by robert132   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

The thing with shows like ST: Voyager is that each week you had a whole different story often written by authors who often either didn't know the technical details of the show and ship, didn't pay attention if they WERE given those details AND there was little consistency of final writing and editing because of time constraints.

In essence they were producing a short, special effects heavy movie for TV every 6 days (allowing 1 day for crew rest and special effects guys to catch up.) They were lucky if they could get 10 minutes of show on tape and in the editors'/special effects' guys hands each 12 hour day.

I think we're lucky that they managed to be as consistent as they were.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by WLBjork   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 am

WLBjork
Commander

We'll, the Fast and Furious series would appear to be Universal Studio's superhero franchise, given the stunts they successfully pull off.

Surprised there's no moaning about the way characters hold a pistol/revolver incorrectly, bullseye a squirrel in the eye at 200 yards, then turn it against a human and knock them 50ft backwards.

As for the Voyager thing, wasn't there also an issue with high Warp speeds damaging the fabric of space time? I'm thinking a "limit" of Warp 5 or 6 was introduced as a result (though mostly ignored of course!)
Post by The E   » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

The E
Admiral

WLBjork wrote:As for the Voyager thing, wasn't there also an issue with high Warp speeds damaging the fabric of space time? I'm thinking a "limit" of Warp 5 or 6 was introduced as a result (though mostly ignored of course!)

That was something set up in one late ST:TNG episode that was promptly forgotten by everyone involved (there is some handwaving around this that basically says that the Federation basically said "Warp 5 is your new cruise speed except when you really need to go faster".
Post by Annachie   » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Gun shots that throw people through windows doors or walls.
To be fair, I always thought that if I ever got shot I'd want to jump back as far away from the shooter as I could. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WLBjork   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:46 am

WLBjork
Commander

Michael Everett wrote:
Daryl wrote:Many TV shows like the A Team have two groups with automatic weapons blaze away at each other at short range, with the end result of the baddies getting a few flesh wounds, and the goodies unhurt.

IIRC correctly, only two people actually got shot in all five seasons of the A-Team. The first was BA (shot offscreen and needed a blood transfusion from Murdock as a result) and the second was the officer who could have proven the innocence of the A-Team (he got sniped and killed).

It takes either a lot of practice or natural skill to be able to manage the recoil enough to be accurate with multi-shot/automatic weapons.

A few moee than that.

Both Face and Murdock took bad shots in later series, when the budget was running a little low to allow 'flashback' scenes to be played.

In the finale of the 4th series, the team went back to 'Nam with the new officer who had been pursuing them all season. He was shot as they attempted to extract, and Hannibal caused an explosion that should have killed the Viet Cong officer that shot him.

Finally, most of the time the shots fired through the show were more often semi-auto.
Post by robert132   » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:50 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

The E wrote:
WLBjork wrote:As for the Voyager thing, wasn't there also an issue with high Warp speeds damaging the fabric of space time? I'm thinking a "limit" of Warp 5 or 6 was introduced as a result (though mostly ignored of course!)

That was something set up in one late ST:TNG episode that was promptly forgotten by everyone involved (there is some handwaving around this that basically says that the Federation basically said "Warp 5 is your new cruise speed except when you really need to go faster".

I think I remember something that was mentioned in the next season, where modifications were designed into FED warp drives and the concept shared with the other warp capable empires and civilizations (yes, including the Romulans) that not only allowed high warp speeds without damaging "subspace" (whateverthehellthatis) but would "repair" or mitigate some of the damage already done. Simple handwavium tech. :lol:

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Gun shots that throw people through windows doors or walls.
To be fair, I always thought that if I ever got shot I'd want to jump back as far away from the shooter as I could. ;)

It is just possible, using a 12 gage shotgun and 00 Buck at close range (say 6-10 feet) that you could throw a person backwards. That would be because the force of the impact is not one projectile but 9 large pellets which do spread out -a bit at 6 feet but not all that much- and rather than one massive blunt-softnose bullet that is potentialy going to exit the back, you are going to spend/transfer much more of the energy with the 9 seperate and deforming sphrical lead balls entering but perhaps not exiting. A lot more total damage instead of one large hole through the person. Bore diameter on a 12ga is .75" or 3/4 inch. A slug will deform but 9 balls which are going to all flatten along seperate wound tracks with almost the same collective total weight spread the trauma out- and will push harder (transfer more energy).

The bar fight seen from Rio Lobo with the guy getting blown backwards is pure theater. The actor was wearing a harness attached to a high-speed winch which provided the dramatic effect. Not saying he wouldn't have been dead should that have actualy been shot at that range with buckshot but the flying backward and smashing stuff like that is fiction.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

In 'The Kingsmen' they flood the trainees' room on their first night. Some of them stick shower hoses down the toilets to get air.

Wouldn't work.The room was completely flooded, eight feet deep. Water would be rushing down the toilets, filling the pipes. No sewer gas to breathe in there.

Of course there's a load of Hollywood Stupid in The Kingsmen, like that bulletproof umbrella. Somebody should tell them there's a reason ballistic armor is thick and heavy.
———————————
Not everybody should go to college. Some folks, you send 'em to college and you just wind up with an educated idiot.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:...like that bulletproof umbrella. Somebody should tell them there's a reason ballistic armor is thick and heavy.

Unless the properties of two-layer graphene proves out. Tkat has the potential to make even filmy negligees bullet-proof. :p
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Free-Range Topics...