Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

How few people crewed the Death Star. With 25 levels each 5 metres high. This would be an area about. let's see 120,000 metre diameter Death Star 1. Surface area of the Death star is 4 pi r squared. with 25 levels it is about 1,125,000 sq KM. About the size of Chile, which has about 18 million people and a density of 24 people per sq KM. The Death star crew is 665,000 people. A density of 1.7 sq KM per person. With half being storm troopers gathering in groups of 100's if not 1,000's that leave a huge empty ship. about 2.5 sq KM per person. That still leaves 59,465 metres of linear space for structure and guns and what not on the ship. Could you hide on a Death Star? Easy. It would also tale blood forever to run from a detention block to the ship hanger without using the elevator, which would be locked and monitored when the alarm goes off. Assuming some sense by the planners the detention section is not next to the hanger bay. You might have to run 95 KM. Assume 120 KM winding hall ways etc... How long does it take to run 70 miles?

Let alone a mile long Imperial Star Destroyer, bow to Stern, with hall ways and levels it would take 20-25 minutes to walk it. Elevator could increase that speed assuming they could go in any direction. Still Bridge to Launch bay would be a long walk. Multi direction elevator ride if it doesn't stop at each floor, could make it acceptable. Like walking around a cruise ship.
Post by The E   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:08 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Or a ship that can fly at Warp 9.96 9 billion times the speed of light. yet takes 70 years to travel 70,000 light years. Should take about 4 minutes to get voyager home.

Warp 9.975 (Voyager's max sustainable velocity) is defined to be 2922 times the speed of light. Voyager could make its 70kly trip in just 24 years at that speed.

Except, of course, that's rubbish: Warp 9.975 is Voyager's never-exceed velocity; She can hold Warp 9.75 for about 12 hours and Warp 9.6 almost indefinitely (almost, in that Voyager would need to stop to let the drive cool down and refuel in regular intervals).

Tell me, Skimper, do you ever read the technical things for the things you're criticizing or trying to invent things for?
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:Tell me, Skimper, do you ever read the technical things for the things you're criticizing or trying to invent things for?

Not that any of us have ever noticed. It's best to ignore Skimper, hard as that can be.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Starsaber   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

The E wrote:Warp 9.975 (Voyager's max sustainable velocity) is defined to be 2922 times the speed of light. Voyager could make its 70kly trip in just 24 years at that speed.

Except, of course, that's rubbish: Warp 9.975 is Voyager's never-exceed velocity; She can hold Warp 9.75 for about 12 hours and Warp 9.6 almost indefinitely (almost, in that Voyager would need to stop to let the drive cool down and refuel in regular intervals).

Tell me, Skimper, do you ever read the technical things for the things you're criticizing or trying to invent things for?

That also doesn't factor in stopping to investigate interesting phenomena or cultures, which happened a lot (since that's also their job ;) ).
Post by Daryl   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Half a century ago, as a teenager I tried to replicate burning wood torches. I tried resinous pine, bundled twigs and much else. Soaking it in oil helped a little, but not for long. Hot air rises, flame goes up, then out after a few minutes. Yet you see intrepid explorers wandering in tunnels for hours, brightly lit by wood torches.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:Half a century ago, as a teenager I tried to replicate burning wood torches. I tried resinous pine, bundled twigs and much else. Soaking it in oil helped a little, but not for long. Hot air rises, flame goes up, then out after a few minutes. Yet you see intrepid explorers wandering in tunnels for hours, brightly lit by wood torches.

Ah, but they know the lost secret of the ancients, you see:

DIESEL FUEL!

Look closely and you will see the torches are wrapped in cloth. That cloth is soaked with diesel fuel, and they swap torches every few minutes. Ever notice how their torches start to burn down, and then in the next scene they're back to full strength?
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hemp rope soaked in beeswax, or similar.

You're just building a large candle really.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by robert132   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:29 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:Was watching The Orville last night. The security officer, a freakishly strong alien woman, was boxing with another alien crewman a foot taller and at least twice her weight. She punched him, and he flew through the ropes, out of the ring and smashed into a wall.

Hollywood Stupid!

I don't care how strong she is, if she hit somebody that much bigger she would knock herself on her ass. Somebody needs to explain the facts of life to those idiots concerning the conservation and transfer of momentum and inertia.

Then they show her crushing 'a solid titanium cube' into a perfect sphere with her hands. Need I even get into the problems with that?
———————————
Complex questions never have simple answers. Hell, most simple questions don't have simple answers.

I wonder if she's at all related to that little blonde on CW's "Supergirl," from planet Krypton maybe? ;)

Characters with that kind of strength, stamina and "bullet-proofishness" have been a staple of sci-fi and fantasy for generations both in print (books and comics) as well as film. They don't all have to be aliens, but it seems to help.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Gun shots that throw people through windows doors or walls.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
The E wrote:Tell me, Skimper, do you ever read the technical things for the things you're criticizing or trying to invent things for?

Not that any of us have ever noticed. It's best to ignore Skimper, hard as that can be.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

season 2 episode the 37s Tom Paris states that Voyagers top speed is warp 9.9 or approximately 4 billion miles per second which is a little over 20000 times the speed of light.

70000 ly's 20000 times the speed of light for Warp 9.9 let along 9.975

3.5 years. Double that for refueling etc... 7 years is not that big of a deal.

Return to Free-Range Topics...