Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by Dilandu   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

P.S. I made a recalculation. The missile of 100 ton dry mass with isp about 1000 s and delta-V about 10 km/s would be THIRTY FREAKING TIMES more mass-effective that the fighter of same characteristics.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Imaginos1892 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:The highlight was Lee Marvin ripping the clothes off Jill Ireland.

That's strange, Jill Ireland is not mentioned anywhere on the back of my Paint Your Wagon DVD. Jean Seeberg is there, right after Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood.

It also says 'Featuring the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band' which I'd never noticed before.

You neglected to mention that she pulled a gun on him and told him to act like a man instead of an animal. And after some thought, he allowed that she was right.
———————————
No Name City
No Name City

God don't like it here…

I forgot who the actress was.

She was spectacular.

Name the television series that both Jill Ireland and Jean Seeberg guest starred in.

I have had the privilege of meeting Joy Harmon in person. I didn't ask her to wash my car for me. Name that movie.
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:02 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Dilandu wrote:P.S. I made a recalculation. The missile of 100 ton dry mass with isp about 1000 s and delta-V about 10 km/s would be THIRTY FREAKING TIMES more mass-effective that the fighter of same characteristics.

You are presuming that the rocket engines for the expendable missiles have the same Specific Impulse as the rocket engines for the reusable fighter. This might not be true.

You also made a slight error in calculating the fuel mass needed for the fighter.

Full Load Mass / Empty Mass = exp(Delta Vee / ISP)

Unless ISP >> Delta Vee, the fuel requirement is much greater than you calculated.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I saw one of the Butterfly Effect movies, in which the time traveler had saved his sister, but not their parents, from their burning house. He went back several times, to fix the present by doing things a little differently in the past, but always caused more problems.

I wanted to slap the idiot silly and yell, "Go back another half hour and prevent the fire from starting in the first place, dumbass! Or at least, put it out while it's still small."
———————————
“What? You’re a Betan! You can’t do—“
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

You want something close to a fighter in space, look at the CJ Cherryh series in the Alliance-Union universe. When Earth decides it needs something to go along with about it's colonies (stations in other systems some with habitable or semi-habitable worlds) and the merchant ships that have developed with the spread of humanity, it builds a fleet or warships which are sent out to bring everybody back into line. Interstellar travel is dependent on Jumpships which travel to and from to the edges of gravity wells (star systems) and finding routes to where you want to go.
Those Earth warships are carrying Riderships (hull mounted and recovered)- non-interstellar capable ships that deploy and have to rondezvoues with their carrier ship somewhere in a system after compleating it's mission(s). Very much like running aircraft of a carrier except no flight deck. They have to deal with orbital mechanics, acceleration/deceleration, fuel load (and enviornmental consumables) combat- including landing on things like stations or intercepting other Jumpships in a system. They also have to get back to their carrier ships- hopefully at a planned recovery point based on the launching ship course and manuver planning. If things change, the Ridership has to attempt to plot and make a new pickup point before the mothership leaves the system. Lose mother and you are stuck someplace where people are really annoyed with you but they are going to be the only place you can survive- if they don't just kill you first.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:51 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Brigade XO wrote:You want something close to a fighter in space, look at the CJ Cherryh series in the Alliance-Union universe. When Earth decides it needs something to go along with about it's colonies (stations in other systems some with habitable or semi-habitable worlds) and the merchant ships that have developed with the spread of humanity, it builds a fleet or warships which are sent out to bring everybody back into line. Interstellar travel is dependent on Jumpships which travel to and from to the edges of gravity wells (star systems) and finding routes to where you want to go.
Those Earth warships are carrying Riderships (hull mounted and recovered)- non-interstellar capable ships that deploy and have to rondezvoues with their carrier ship somewhere in a system after compleating it's mission(s). Very much like running aircraft of a carrier except no flight deck. They have to deal with orbital mechanics, acceleration/deceleration, fuel load (and enviornmental consumables) combat- including landing on things like stations or intercepting other Jumpships in a system. They also have to get back to their carrier ships- hopefully at a planned recovery point based on the launching ship course and manuver planning. If things change, the Ridership has to attempt to plot and make a new pickup point before the mothership leaves the system. Lose mother and you are stuck someplace where people are really annoyed with you but they are going to be the only place you can survive- if they don't just kill you first.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Post by vovchara   » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:56 pm

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Brigade XO wrote:You want something close to a fighter in space, look at the CJ Cherryh series in the Alliance-Union universe. When Earth decides it needs something to go along with about its colonies (stations in other systems some with habitable or semi-habitable worlds) and the merchant ships that have developed with the spread of humanity, it builds a fleet of warships which are sent out to bring everybody back into line. Interstellar travel is dependent on Jumpships which travel to and from to the edges of gravity wells (star systems) and finding routes to where you want to go.
Those Earth warships are carrying Riderships (hull-mounted and recovered)- non-interstellar capable ships that deploy and have to rendezvous with their carrier ship somewhere in a system after completing its mission(s). Very much like running aircraft off a carrier except no flight deck. They have to deal with orbital mechanics, acceleration/deceleration, fuel load (and environmental consumables) combat- including landing on things like stations or intercepting other Jumpships in a system. They also have to get back to their carrier ships- hopefully at a planned recovery point based on the launching ship course and maneuver planning. If things change, the Ridership has to attempt to plot and make a new pickup point before the mothership leaves the system. Lose mother and you are stuck someplace where people are really annoyed with you but they are going to be the only place you can survive- if they don't just kill you first.

Exactly, thought out concept, describing a precise set of circumstances where a parasite ship would make sense.

Not just take a terrestrial wet navy and translate it 1:1 into space.

Return to Free-Range Topics...