Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by vovchara   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

The latest low: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_(TV_series)
such a mess, the pilot was not bad, had rather appropriate scientific vibe.
What follows is just bad and incoherent mess. The lowest point was when they send a command to a space probe orbiting Jupiter ... in real time. (distance to Jupiter is over 32 light minutes)
Post by EdThomas   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:52 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

John Prigent wrote:Can I add one? The walk in the woods where nobody EVER looks up - until the bad guy/alien/whatever drops onto them.

Cheers, John

I would suggest not looking up when walking is the natural thing to do. In "welcome to Vietnam" training we were told to look up by our very short instructor (2 weeks I think) becuz "Americans never look up." Not sure why I remember those words. He also taught us to walk through puddles, not around them, because "Charles has noticed american kids are trained to not walk in puddles."
Post by Joat42   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Joat42
Admiral

EdThomas wrote:
John Prigent wrote:Can I add one? The walk in the woods where nobody EVER looks up - until the bad guy/alien/whatever drops onto them.

Cheers, John

I would suggest not looking up when walking is the natural thing to do. In "welcome to Vietnam" training we were told to look up by our very short instructor (2 weeks I think) becuz "Americans never look up." Not sure why I remember those words. He also taught us to walk through puddles, not around them, because "Charles has noticed american kids are trained to not walk in puddles."

I watched a documentary where they interviewed a former Colonel in the VC and he said that it was easy to find the American patrols because there where almost always someone smoking.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:09 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

At the end of Batman vs. Superman, WHY didn't they give the Kryptonite spear to Wonder Woman?

It wouldn't have any effect on her, and after so much exposure to Kryptonite, she was probably stronger than Superman at that point anyway.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

OK, this is not so much Hollywood Stupid, but I didn't see creating a whole new topic just for this one rant.

I'm sure there's Hollywood Stupid in it too, but the other issues kind of pre-empt that aspect of Stupid. Anyway, here it is, Full Rant Mode ON:

I got 'A Wrinkle In Time' on DVD from the library last week, then checked out the book to verify; they couldn't have butchered it THAT bad, could they?

Ohhh, but they could. They could. Re-reading the book after several decades just pointed out even MORE ways they fucked it up.

Madeleine L'Engle provided descriptions of all the characters, which they completely ignored when casting the movie. NONE of the actors remotely resemble their characters.

They made Charles Wallace Murry adopted. WHY???? What purpose did that serve? Where did his anomalous genius come from if NOT from two genius parents?

On Uriel, Mrs. Whatsit was supposed to transform into an angelic flying centaur, not a flapping leaf-woman. Calvin did not fall off. They were not looking for clues to Mr. Murry's whereabouts, but viewing the darkness from a safe distance.

The Happy Medium was a woman, and completely different in many other ways, as well.

The first scenes on Camazotz, the forest erupting from the field, the dirt-tornado — were not in the book. Just. Not. In. The. Book. WTF,O?

Everything on Camazotz was wrong except the synchronized ball-bouncing kids — but where were the synchronized rope-skipping kids?

The setting on Camazotz was a city, not a creepy black neuron-tentacle-tree. An idealized perfect city, which made it all the more sinister and disturbing when you discovered what evil it took to make it perfect.

The whole chapter and a half of Ixchel is just NOT THERE. Why? They suddenly decided the movie was getting too long? There's a conclusion they could have reached a whole lot sooner!

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! Everybody involved in making that abomination deserves to be exiled to Camazotz! The original one!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Superman — or Jack-Jack — shooting laser beams out of their eyes.

Even if they're Super enough not to be permanently blinded, they will still be generating light billions of times more intense than what they're trying to see. They will be, literally, shooting blind, and can only hit their targets by chance. More a danger to innocent bystanders than to their enemies.

Super hearing = super Stupid.

The world is full of noise. Super-sensitive hearing just means you can hear more noise. It does NOT mean Superman can pick out one little sound from ten miles away through all the other noises that drowned it out long before it ever reached his ears.
———————————
Susan Ivanova: “I do not like Santiago. I've always thought that a leader should have a strong chin. He has no chin, and his vice-president has several. This to me is not a good combination.”
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Imaginos1892 wrote:Superman — or Jack-Jack — shooting laser beams out of their eyes.

Even if they're Super enough not to be permanently blinded, they will still be generating light billions of times more intense than what they're trying to see. They will be, literally, shooting blind, and can only hit their targets by chance. More a danger to innocent bystanders than to their enemies.

The world is full of noise. Super-sensitive hearing just means you can hear more noise. It does NOT mean Superman can pick out one little sound from ten miles away through all the other noises that drowned it out long before it ever reached his ears.
———————————
Susan Ivanova: “I do not like Santiago. I've always thought that a leader should have a strong chin. He has no chin, and his vice-president has several. This to me is not a good combination.”

It is all about signal processing to discern the signal from the noise.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Comes a point where thar ain't no signal, only noise. Hollywood Stupids the hell out of it anyway, and Superman hears Lois cry for help ten miles away WITHOUT hearing all the deafening racket of a big city.

Sound is transmitted by one air molecule bumping into the next one. If noise sources impart millions of times more energy to the air molecules than the sound you're listening for, that sound will not make a statistically significant contribution to molecular motion, thus it will be impossible to detect.
———————————
They say I can't be a nonconformist because I'm not like the other nonconformists.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:28 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Superman — or Jack-Jack — shooting laser beams out of their eyes.

This problem could be avoided by dividing the optical & beaming spectre. For example, beams could be of visible light, and seeing could be in infrared (or other way around)
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm

TFLYTSNBN

———————————

https://hanna-barbera.fandom.com/wiki/Zok

Return to Free-Range Topics...