Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pmlinde wrote:Speaking of Hollywood stupid, I have been off line for a long time, and am curious as to what ever happened with the HH movie or TV show that was talked about

That "discussion" lasted all of about 3 months. Then it went unceremoniously dark. So noting will come of it. Especially now that the cable networks don't particularly wish to purchase other people's creations. I mean why would SY-FY keep Killjoys and cancel Dark Matter? But again there's The Magicians and The Expanse. So maybe some future studio will try again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by vovchara   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Ugh.. killjoys. I stopped watching when supposedly former special forces guy went outside his ship with only one magazin in the rifle, which he promptly dropped when it run out of ammo...
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri May 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Seat belts or lack there of. Prison cells with wide open force fields which always fail when the power goes out. Artificial grav plating. Can't shoot a gun in space.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Most well-made science fiction shows have restraining harnesses modeled after those used in fighter jets, or race cars. Only a few shows are still Stupid that way.

Grav plates can be justified with the proper combination of bolonium and handwavium. We don’t know artificial gravity is impossible, we just don’t know how to do it yet.

There wouldn’t be any technical problems with shooting guns in outer space. There would be practical problems with recoil sending you spinning off backwards, but training can help with that.

Long-term exposure to vacuum might degrade the chemicals used in the primers.
———————————
Fiction must be plausible. Reality just has to happen.
Post by pappilon   » Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
pmlinde wrote:Speaking of Hollywood stupid, I have been off line for a long time, and am curious as to what ever happened with the HH movie or TV show that was talked about

That "discussion" lasted all of about 3 months. Then it went unceremoniously dark. So nothing will come of it. Especially now that the cable networks don't particularly wish to purchase other people's creations. I mean why would SY-FY keep Killjoys and cancel Dark Matter? But again there's The Magicians and The Expanse. So maybe some future studio will try again.

And Season 3 will be the final one for The Expanse. Which like Dark Matter is as tragic as Firefly.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Joat42   » Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 am

Joat42
Admiral

pappilon wrote:That "discussion" lasted all of about 3 months. Then it went unceremoniously dark. So nothing will come of it. Especially now that the cable networks don't particularly wish to purchase other people's creations. I mean why would SY-FY keep Killjoys and cancel Dark Matter? But again there's The Magicians and The Expanse. So maybe some future studio will try again.

pappilon wrote:And Season 3 will be the final one for The Expanse. Which like Dark Matter is as tragic as Firefly.

If you have read the books it makes sense from the clueless viewers standpoint. Most of the dangling threads are resolved and they still leave the door open for more seasons.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by pappilon   » Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:If you have read the books it makes sense from the clueless viewers standpoint. Most of the dangling threads are resolved and they still leave the door open for more seasons.

I did read the books, reread them when the series started. Surprisingly the screenplay very closely follows the books. I just hate investing the time to get involved with a series only to have it cancelled seemingly at the whim of studio suits. Killing the interesting ones (Dark Matter) while keeping the shlock (Killjoys).
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Joat42   » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 am

Joat42
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Joat42 wrote:If you have read the books it makes sense from the clueless viewers standpoint. Most of the dangling threads are resolved and they still leave the door open for more seasons.

I did read the books, reread them when the series started. Surprisingly the screenplay very closely follows the books. I just hate investing the time to get involved with a series only to have it cancelled seemingly at the whim of studio suits. Killing the interesting ones (Dark Matter) while keeping the shlock (Killjoys).

Well, one of the reasons is the contract between Alcon Entertainment and SyFy. SyFy only have live linear first run rights for the US and thus misses out on all the streaming. Even the ratings are based on that live first run.

So if the series are incredible popular on streaming platforms it's not really reflected in the ratings.

I don't think we have seen the last of the series, Alcon Entertainment seems to be shopping around for another partner and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix picks it up.

On a related note, it seems that "smart" series tend to under-perform in the US so I'm not that surprised to see the "dumb" ones getting preferential treatment from the the studios. Which neatly brings us back to Hollywood Stupid.. :)

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:On a related note, it seems that "smart" series tend to under-perform in the US so I'm not that surprised to see the "dumb" ones getting preferential treatment from the the studios.

Advertisers want to fish in the shallow end of the gene pool. It's only once in a while something like Babylon 5, Stargate, Firefly or Bones slips through. Even rarer that they last more than a year or two. Or, the quality goes to hell.
———————————
How can they call it 'Reality TV'? You ever see any of that shit happen?
Post by vovchara   » Sat May 26, 2018 5:07 pm

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

well, The Expanse got picked up by Amazon. So we've got at least one more season.

Return to Free-Range Topics...