Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

'The Fall' in the 2012 version of Total Recall.

A giant elevator that goes THROUGH THE EARTH'S CORE.

Distance: over 12,700 KM.
Pressure: over 300 gigapascals near the middle.
Temperature: over 5,000 degrees C.

Hell, air pressure at the center would be thousands of PSI. I have some vague idea what kind of integral you'd have to solve to find out exactly…

It is so, so wrong in so, so many ways, any one of which would make it Stupid.

The elevator car and its contents would be in free-fall through the whole trip, not just in the middle. There are no materials that could stand up to those conditions for more than a millisecond. It's impossible to build — the walls would collapse before you got 20 KM deep. If you could get the walls to hold, air pressure would crush the elevator car like a beer can run over by a bus.

Enough. It ain't just Stupid, it's Hollywood Stupid!
Post by Joat42   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:'The Fall' in the 2012 version of Total Recall.

A giant elevator that goes THROUGH THE EARTH'S CORE.

Distance: over 12,700 KM.
Pressure: over 300 gigapascals near the middle.
Temperature: over 5,000 degrees C.

Hell, air pressure at the center would be thousands of PSI. I have some vague idea what kind of integral you'd have to solve to find out exactly…

It is so, so wrong in so, so many ways, any one of which would make it Stupid.

The elevator car and its contents would be in free-fall through the whole trip, not just in the middle. There are no materials that could stand up to those conditions for more than a millisecond. It's impossible to build — the walls would collapse before you got 20 KM deep. If you could get the walls to hold, air pressure would crush the elevator car like a beer can run over by a bus.

Enough. It ain't just Stupid, it's Hollywood Stupid!

Huh, I thought that the elevator was between USA and Australia which would mean that it would "only" pass through the mesosphere, possibly the outer core.

But that elevator must have been built by the guys from the movie "The Core".

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Huh, I thought that the elevator was between USA and Australia which would mean that it would "only" pass through the mesosphere, possibly the outer core.

No, it's between London and someplace in Australia, which puts it pretty much right through the middle.
Joat42 wrote:But that elevator must have been built by the guys from the movie "The Core".

AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHH! You hadda bring that up! There's hardly anything in that whole movie what ain't Hollywood Stupid!
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Was watching The Orville last night. The security officer, a freakishly strong alien woman, was boxing with another alien crewman a foot taller and at least twice her weight. She punched him, and he flew through the ropes, out of the ring and smashed into a wall.

Hollywood Stupid!

I don't care how strong she is, if she hit somebody that much bigger she would knock herself on her ass. Somebody needs to explain the facts of life to those idiots concerning the conservation and transfer of momentum and inertia.

Then they show her crushing 'a solid titanium cube' into a perfect sphere with her hands. Need I even get into the problems with that?
———————————
Complex questions never have simple answers. Hell, most simple questions don't have simple answers.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Was watching The Orville last night. The security officer, a freakishly strong alien woman, was boxing with another alien crewman a foot taller and at least twice her weight. She punched him, and he flew through the ropes, out of the ring and smashed into a wall.

Hollywood Stupid!

I don't care how strong she is, if she hit somebody that much bigger she would knock herself on her ass. Somebody needs to explain the facts of life to those idiots concerning the conservation and transfer of momentum and inertia.

That completely ignores the fact that anyone with halfdecent martial arts training CHEATS.
If i want to throw someone bigger and heavier than me, i am perfectly capable of doing so, as long as i do it correctly.

This is especially true for someone like me whose primary martial arts training uses a lot of "slow force" moves.

That essentially means that instead of trying to put maximum "instant" force on target for a very short moment, you instead maintain contact with target and continue to apply force over a much longer time(still just counted in fractions of a second).

It definitely allows applying enough force to make people "fly"(at least a little, we're talking real world here after all), 100% regardless if they're lighter or heavier than yourself.

There's nothing breaking physics about it, you just have to know how to apply the force properly.

I have absolutely no clue about what you saw, so i cannot say if it was just ridiculous or exaggerated, BUT, the idea that:
"I don't care how strong she is, if she hit somebody that much bigger she would knock herself on her ass."

That is simply wrong. When it comes to hitting people, size only matters if the more skilled fighter wants it to.

There's any number of tricks for how to increase or decrease the amount of force like inertia and momentum involved.

The most obvious is simply bracing. The next most obvious is buildup, ie running at someone you're going to tackle to take a simple example.

And then there's more or less "arcane" ways like letting your own body act like a stabilising gyro, or counteracting one force by moving other bodyparts, or redirecting etc.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:Was watching The Orville last night. The security officer, a freakishly strong alien woman, was boxing with another alien crewman a foot taller and at least twice her weight. She punched him, and he flew through the ropes, out of the ring and smashed into a wall.

Hollywood Stupid!

Then they show her crushing 'a solid titanium cube' into a perfect sphere with her hands. Need I even get into the problems with that?
———————————
Complex questions never have simple answers. Hell, most simple questions don't have simple answers.

You do know that The Orville is a SciFi comedy series, right?

The whole point of the Alara Kitan character is that she is a prop that the captain uses when his own brawn is lacking, she is in essence his pickle-jar opener.

She is also a way to thumb the nose at other SciFi-series where they have brawny characters that on a closer examination are quite ridiculous - thus she is supernaturally strong and able to do impossible things.

In other words, it's Hollywood stupid but for a good reason.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

They didn't show her doing any of that. She just walked up and punched him in the chest. Didn't even punch upward to transfer the force down through her feet.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 am

munroburton
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:They didn't show her doing any of that. She just walked up and punched him in the chest. Didn't even punch upward to transfer the force down through her feet.

What about increased density for Alara? So the wee lady actually weights 300kg or more. Bones made of lead or tungsten or something.

The really surprising thing from that scene is that the guy she hit got up and walked away. :P
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:They didn't show her doing any of that. She just walked up and punched him in the chest. Didn't even punch upward to transfer the force down through her feet.

What about increased density for Alara? So the wee lady actually weights 300kg or more. Bones made of lead or tungsten or something.

The really surprising thing from that scene is that the guy she hit got up and walked away. :P

:lol:

Yeah, that is definitely WAY more surprising.

#####
The whole point of the Alara Kitan character is that she is a prop that the captain uses when his own brawn is lacking, she is in essence his pickle-jar opener.

:D
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Wings that work in space or Star Trek ships that sound like old steam trains and when the power goes out they stop. How can a klingon war bird fly for 30 seconds at warp 7 towards the sun?

Or a ship that can fly at Warp 9.96 9 billion times the speed of light. yet takes 70 years to travel 70,000 light years. Should take about 4 minutes to get voyager home.

Return to Free-Range Topics...