Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by Joat42   » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:In 'The Kingsmen' they flood the trainees' room on their first night. Some of them stick shower hoses down the toilets to get air.

Wouldn't work.The room was completely flooded, eight feet deep. Water would be rushing down the toilets, filling the pipes. No sewer gas to breathe in there.

Depending on the setup of the pipes it could work. If the stack is just behind a toilet one could get a hose up the stack and get "fresh" air - so I would put this in the plausible category.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:08 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:...like that bulletproof umbrella. Somebody should tell them there's a reason ballistic armor is thick and heavy.

Unless the properties of two-layer graphene proves out. Tkat has the potential to make even filmy negligees bullet-proof. :p

The fabric could possibly be made tough enough to prevent the bullet ripping a hole in it, but all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere. It would still poke a hole in you, and pull the fabric in with it. At least pulling the bullet back out would be much simpler.
———————————
The best thing about virginity is, it’s so easy to cure.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:
WLBjork wrote:As for the Voyager thing, wasn't there also an issue with high Warp speeds damaging the fabric of space time? I'm thinking a "limit" of Warp 5 or 6 was introduced as a result (though mostly ignored of course!)

That was something set up in one late ST:TNG episode that was promptly forgotten by everyone involved (there is some handwaving around this that basically says that the Federation basically said "Warp 5 is your new cruise speed except when you really need to go faster".

I thought at one point in Voyager someone mentioned that the tilting warp nacelles that Voyager had were to mitigate or avoid causing that warp damage. (But it's been a long time since I watched any Voyager)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

On movies how everyone who gets near a road is fair games for being run down. If I walk out into a road people slow down and honk, I then pick up my package and wave then they resume driving.

Or When people jump on a truck, the truck keeps driving.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:On movies how everyone who gets near a road is fair games for being run down. If I walk out into a road people slow down and honk, I then pick up my package and wave then they resume driving.

Or When people jump on a truck, the truck keeps driving.

You can get run over quite easily in N.Y, N.Y., and other cities. They don't call them fast cities for nothing. N.Y. is called the city that never sleeps. Because you've got to keep your eyes open, or you could get run over even while at home in your sleep, by someone crashing through your home or store. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd just like to know why Supergirl's clothing never gets a rip or even dirty. I know her cape is made from her someone indestructible blanket. I suppose her blanket got super powers from a yellow sun too? Ok, then what about her pantyhose? Supergirl's pantyhose always looks like she just bought them. Even after being pummeled by creatures and knocked three stories through building after building. Come on, smashed concrete, insulation and sheetrock should be all over her.

And you mean to tell me that smashing through all of that rebar didn't at least scratch her pantyhose? Just make each citizen clothing made of whatever material her hose is made of. Then everybody can fight crime.

And even if her outfit was made of material from her blanket, what needle and sewing machine could pierce it?

Imagine some pervert finding Supergirl spread eagled and pinned down by kryptonite handcuffs. "I'm going to have my way with you as soon as I rip off these hose hose hose hose. Dammit!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:26 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Cthia.
There are things far more powerful than Supergirl in the world.

Narrative Causality.

A super's clothing or costume only gets damaged if it's important to the story that it is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:40 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I went to see The Last Jedi today, and thoroughly enjoyed it while wondering what our physics purists would have thought.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Lots of inconsistencies, my favourite was the bombing of a dreadnaught in deep space using gravity bombs dropped from "above" it. There were the usual sounds in vacuum special effects. As in other Hollywood epics across genres the goodies rarely missed their shot while the baddies usually did. The goodies discovered that the baddies could track them through hyperspace because there was a tracer on one of their ships in their fleet. Did they scatter? No, all stayed together in their little fleet.
As in all Star Wars ground battles they seem to have missed the evolution of MBTs being squat low profile compact agile gear, and they use high, conspicuous, and hard to armour, walkers that walk very slowly.
Post by The E   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

The E
Admiral

Daryl wrote:The goodies discovered that the baddies could track them through hyperspace because there was a tracer on one of their ships in their fleet. Did they scatter? No, all stayed together in their little fleet.

Because there wasn't a tracer on the rebel ships. There was a tracker on the First Order flagship. Scattering wouldn't really help. If there had been a tracking device on the rebel ships, Finn and Rose's plan of infiltrating the flagship and disabling the sensors there would not work; Their entire plan is predicated on creating a window of time where the tracker is offline so that the fleet can jump away safely before it is brought back online.
Post by pmlinde   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

pmlinde
Midshipman

Speaking of Hollywood stupid, I have been off line for a long time, and am curious as to what ever happened with the HH movie or TV show that was talked about

Return to Free-Range Topics...