Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

The Cuban Missile Crisis

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: The Cuban Missile Crisis
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:Khrushchev fell from power in 1964, largely as a result of backing down in the Cuban Missile Crisis. The interesting thing is that he was kind of progressive for his time. I once saw an analysis that put forth the idea that Khrushchev wanted to introduce the same kind of ideas and reforms in the 1960s that Mikhail Gorbachev would put forth in the 1980s. Potentially, we could have had Glasnost in the 1960s instead of the 1980s. If this is true, the Cuban Missile Crisis basically extended the Cold War by 20 years.

I think it had more to do with his failed agricultural policy. There was a problem of feeding his people. It was so bad that he toured the U.S. and visited the corn belt.

He was actually lauded for the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was a great plan had it worked. He lost the race against time. If the site had become operational, checkmate, fait accomplis.

That's why he was allowed to retire with a nice plot of land, etc.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:Khrushchev fell from power in 1964, largely as a result of backing down in the Cuban Missile Crisis. The interesting thing is that he was kind of progressive for his time. I once saw an analysis that put forth the idea that Khrushchev wanted to introduce the same kind of ideas and reforms in the 1960s that Mikhail Gorbachev would put forth in the 1980s. Potentially, we could have had Glasnost in the 1960s instead of the 1980s. If this is true, the Cuban Missile Crisis basically extended the Cold War by 20 years.

I think it had more to do with his failed agricultural policy. There was a problem of feeding his people. It was so bad that he toured the U.S. and visited the corn belt.

He was actually lauded for the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was a great plan had it worked. He lost the race against time. If the site had become operational, checkmate, fait accomplis.

Besides, it was seen as a win for the Russians as well because they forced concessions out of the U.S. in the form of the removal of the missiles that were in Turkey. They were our first inferior and aging missiles and the U.S. had already considered removing them. Of course Khrushchev didn't know that, iirc.

The interesting thing is that the deal struck between the two was not to be made official, to save face. Khrushchev honored his agreement to keep silent. It is all revealed in part 2 of the documentary.

Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:34 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:I think it had more to do with his failed agricultural policy. There was a problem of feeding his people. It was so bad that he toured the U.S. and visited the corn belt.

Besides, it was seen as a win for the Russians as well because they forced concessions out of the U.S. in the form of the removal of the missiles that were in Turkey. They were our first inferior and aging missiles and the U.S. had already considered removing them. Of course Khrushchev didn't know that, iirc.

The interesting thing is that the deal struck between the two was not to be made official, to save face. Khrushchev honored his agreement to keep silent. It is all revealed in part 2 of the documentary.

Old enough to remember it and that my dad refused to react out of fear. I remember my friends' families buying 50# sacks of rice and sugar, being fingerprinted, and someone down the street actually putting in a bomb shelter. We lived about 20 miles from an oil refinery and an alumina plant. Thinking back, if a bomb dropped wouldn't have made much difference.

IIRC Soviet foreign policy was attack ne step. If you hit a pillow attack again; if you hit steel, retreat a step.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Free-Range Topics...