Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Minor irritations

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Minor irritations
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

John Prigent wrote:Another of my minor irritations is the way the media keep interviewing 'celebrities' about events that need a true expert's opinion, not that of a know-nothing nonentity who happens to be famous for singing, playing 'music', or getting drunk.

Ok, we're experiencing the harshest winter in several years and currently in the middle of what started out being the worst ice storm on record ( over 1' of ice on top of 16" of snow. So I'm cruising down the road with winter tires on my truck doing 45 and this idiot passes me doing at least 60 with tire chains on.

Ok, I'm from Louisiana, my experience in snow, ice and tire chains is ... limited. But I did ask the salesgirl at the tire store about maximum speed with chains. She told me 20 mph. Some newscaster mentioned busses being limited to 30 mph. doesn't 60 seem excessive?

Who eats the chain as it flies apart under that centrepetal force?
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

'Activists'. Most of which, when asked: What have you done about your Great And Noble Cause, reply that they are Activist-ing.

Which means to me that they are too fucking lazy or self-absorbed to actually do anything besides yell for the government to force other people to do things that may or may not make the situation better.

'Fat Shaming'. If you're fat, it's a fact. If you're ashamed of being fat, EAT LESS FOOD. Don't whine and demand to be protected from the truth.

And, Oh Hell Yes about the celebrities. Especially sports stars. They know all about complex technological, social, economic and political issues because...?
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Didn't want to start a new topic just for this, so I'm posting it here.

My tenant called me about a backed-up toilet. I advised her to call the condominium maintenance service. The one I pay $280 a month fees for.

Half an hour later she called back. They gave her a lot of excuses about how difficult and expensive it would be to get a plumber there on Sunday morning. How about if they took care of it Monday afternoon instead?

Riiiiiight. Just hold it until Monday. Nooooo problem. :lol:

So I drove over with a toilet snake and fixed the backup in five minutes. Plus, of course, the forty minutes I spent driving there and back.

Oh, well, the tenant's happy again.
———————————
They say I can't be a nonconformist because I'm not like the other nonconformists.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:56 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Hope you give them an ear full.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by smr   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

At least your a responsible and good landlord, our landlord does not pay for any type of issues. We had to pay to replace the toilet that was broken.Two more months and hopefully my house will be ready to move back in and all inspections will be completed. This guy has been trying to sell the house and I refuse to fix anything that is broken. The bathroom lights don't switch on about half the time. He's asking for $279,000 for the house and land but the house is a tear down. Now, the land is .88 of an acre which is worth about $200,000 usd but the house is a complete rebuild or just a tear down. The pool is going to take $15,000 to fix not even to make nice and beautiful. Fence and porch wood need complete replacement due to rot. The only 2 points going for the seller is a tight housing market due to Hurricane Harvey and the closeness to a freeway access.

Imaginos1892 wrote:Didn't want to start a new topic just for this, so I'm posting it here.

My tenant called me about a backed-up toilet. I advised her to call the condominium maintenance service. The one I pay $280 a month fees for.

Half an hour later she called back. They gave her a lot of excuses about how difficult and expensive it would be to get a plumber there on Sunday morning. How about if they took care of it Monday afternoon instead?

Riiiiiight. Just hold it until Monday. Nooooo problem. :lol:

So I drove over with a toilet snake and fixed the backup in five minutes. Plus, of course, the forty minutes I spent driving there and back.

Oh, well, the tenant's happy again.
———————————
They say I can't be a nonconformist because I'm not like the other nonconformists.
Post by dscott8   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am

dscott8
Commodore

Here's a new one, seen today at a gas station/convenience store. This person parks at a gas pump, locks the car, goes into the store and spends about 25 minutes shopping, while the car sits blocking the unused pump. Other cars idling in the lot, waiting for a pump to come open.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dscott8 wrote:Here's a new one, seen today at a gas station/convenience store. This person parks at a gas pump, locks the car, goes into the store and spends about 25 minutes shopping, while the car sits blocking the unused pump. Other cars idling in the lot, waiting for a pump to come open.

YESSS!

I dated a girl once who was very outspoken. She simply didn't suffer fools. I was riding in her vehicle when she stopped to get gas, and a guy blocked the single diesel pump for over fifteen minutes because he was ordering food from the mini grill inside the station. She went in after him...

"Sir, are you waiting for the prices to drop before you move that heap and let someone else fill up?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by smr   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:33 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

In my llong assorted life, I have been both the individual ordering food and the individual waiting to gas up. ROFL because as I have been both! At least I can say I learned how to cook real foods instead of eating at the gas stations.

cthia wrote:
dscott8 wrote:Here's a new one, seen today at a gas station/convenience store. This person parks at a gas pump, locks the car, goes into the store and spends about 25 minutes shopping, while the car sits blocking the unused pump. Other cars idling in the lot, waiting for a pump to come open.

YESSS!

I dated a girl once who was very outspoken. She simply didn't suffer fools. I was riding in her vehicle when she stopped to get gas, and a guy blocked the single diesel pump for over fifteen minutes because he was ordering food from the mini grill inside the station. She went in after him...

"Sir, are you waiting for the prices to drop before you move that heap and let someone else fill up?"
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:21 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Prerecorded sales messages that start with 'This is not a sales call'.
Post by dscott8   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:33 am

dscott8
Commodore

Found another irritation at the VA clinic the other day: People who use their cell phone's speakerphone function in public. Sitting in the waiting room, where about 30 people were subjected to the saga of some guy's dispute over damage to his fishing boat.

Return to Free-Range Topics...