Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Space Stories?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Space Stories?
Post by haolekook   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:09 am

haolekook
Midshipman

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the forum (or site for that matter) for this question, but here goes...

I enjoyed the Honor series of books. It just seems that other times when I pick up another book by David Weber, it ends up not being about space or spaceships. Or mostly not, anyway. There's a spaceship on the cover, but soon after I begin reading the story switches from space to a prehistoric time, sailing ships, time travel back to the 21th century etc.

So, can any folks help direct me to books or series by Mr. Weber that stay "in space", or in a space faring time. I'm not talking about a spaceship that is always mid-journey, just that doesn't turn into a swashbuckler somehow.

Thanks a lot. Take care.
Re: Space Stories?
Post by Duckk   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Dahak, Honorverse, Starfire series, as well as In Fury Born, The Excalibur Alternative, and Apocalypse Troll. The Safehold and Empire of Man series and Out of the Dark involve space travel to some degree or another, but isn't the primary focus.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Re: Space Stories?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:Dahak, Honorverse, Starfire series, as well as In Fury Born, The Excalibur Alternative, and Apocalypse Troll. The Safehold and Empire of Man series and Out of the Dark involve space travel to some degree or another, but isn't the primary focus.
Personally I'd caveat In Fury Born as space and space combat isn't it's primary focus. It never drops into the past, or had technology regress, like some other Weber series. But it does seem more focused on the ground-side action and combat than what's happening in space.

And even the 3rd Dahak book may not be to the original poster's taste if they don't like regressed technology. Still I'd recommend reading at least the first pair, even if you don't care for the way to story turns in the 3rd.

Oh, and within the Honorverse umbrella, the YA trilogy beginning with A Beautiful Friendship aren't at all space focused.

But mostly, those nitpicks or clarifications aside, I agree with your recommendations.

Return to Free-Range Topics...