Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Better Learning Methods?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Better Learning Methods?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

There are several things that can be done. One is to employ fiction writers to write text books in story format. Make it interesting, make a story that teaches a lesson. Schroedingers' cat for instance. The turtle and the Hare. etc... Make better stories and teach good finance. etc...

Or direct neural input.
Post by iceranan1979   » Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm

iceranan1979
Midshipman

Nowadays kids learn about every detail of how the government works (even though the theory and practice are two completely different things) but they can't fill out a tax report. They learn about detailed process of cell multiplication, but they don't know what to do when their nose bleeds. Our education systems are more into theory than they are into practical knowledge and that was always a pain for me when I was still in school.
Re: Better Learning Methods?
Post by DDHv   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:33 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

iceranan1979 wrote:Nowadays kids learn about every detail of how the government works (even though the theory and practice are two completely different things) but they can't fill out a tax report. They learn about detailed process of cell multiplication, but they don't know what to do when their nose bleeds. Our education systems are more into theory than they are into practical knowledge and that was always a pain for me when I was still in school.

So true! Locally, there are still some shop and home economics classes, but they are side courses instead of the main menu. This is one place where parents can get strongly involved - my father never provided an allowance, but always made certain there was some work available that would provide both cash and experience. If he agreed with something I wanted, he would provide half of the cost
8-)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...