Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

RIP Fidel Castro

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
RIP Fidel Castro
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:48 am

Henry Brown
Commodore

Just saw the Fidel Castro has died. Let me be clear, I don't agree with his political ideology. Not trying to praise him as a great man or anything like that. But as a student of history, I have to admire his longevity. Think about it, the Son of a Bitch took power in 1959. Eisenhower was president then. Then came Kennedy. Then Johnson. Nixon was next. Then Ford. After that: Carter, Reagan, George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and finally Barrack Obama. 11 different people have been President of the USA since Fidel since came to power. And he outlived 6 of them. Even if you don't really like him, you kind of have to admire that sort of run.
Re: RIP Fidel Castro
Post by umbrarchist   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:13 pm

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The Chicago Cubs did it.

They started a chain reaction producing an alternate reality.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of long term dictators, we have been suppressed by the English queen, Queen Elizabeth 11 since 1952.
Just joking as her position is only ceremonial, but I wonder if seven years into her reign, she wondered how long this communistic upstart would last.
Post by dscott8   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:23 am

dscott8
Commodore

Henry Brown wrote:Just saw the Fidel Castro has died. Let me be clear, I don't agree with his political ideology. Not trying to praise him as a great man or anything like that. But as a student of history, I have to admire his longevity. Think about it, the Son of a Bitch took power in 1959. Eisenhower was president then. Then came Kennedy. Then Johnson. Nixon was next. Then Ford. After that: Carter, Reagan, George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and finally Barrack Obama. 11 different people have been President of the USA since Fidel since came to power. And he outlived 6 of them. Even if you don't really like him, you kind of have to admire that sort of run.

I do not admire it at all, because I find the methods he used to stay in power despicable.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am

Dilandu
Admiral

He was clearly not an ordinary man. One of the most prominent symbols of XX century.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:42 am

Dilandu
Admiral

dscott8 wrote:
I do not admire it at all, because I find the methods he used to stay in power despicable.

Let's just say that he killed less peoples during his reign than his predecessor - Fulgencio Batista - during just seven years, after he became dictator. Of course, since he allowed US buisness run free and control almost everything on Cuba, the US government declared him "a nice guy", true son of democracy and protector of civil rights... of americans)

Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:He was clearly not an ordinary man. One of the most prominent symbols of XX century.

The same goes for Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot. And no, I am not Godwin-ing.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:The same goes for Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot. And no, I am not Godwin-ing.

Nah, you do exactly that.

Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:The same goes for Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot. And no, I am not Godwin-ing.

Nah, you do exactly that.

When the comparison is so apt, it does not serve to shut people up. Hence, not Godwin-ing.
Post by isaac_newton   » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:40 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
dscott8 wrote:

Let's just say that he killed less peoples during his reign than his predecessor - Fulgencio Batista - during just seven years, after he became dictator. Of course, since he allowed US buisness run free and control almost everything on Cuba, the US government declared him "a nice guy", true son of democracy and protector of civil rights... of americans)

Is that true? [genuine question]

Return to Free-Range Topics...