Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Dumbest Inventions EVER

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Dumbest Inventions EVER
Post by Daryl   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:52 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:"One size fits all" rubber gloves!

Newsflash! They don't! I hate going through an entire box of "one size fits all" rubber gloves trying to keep one pair from tearing. Which leaves my hands feeling like a Japanese woman's bound feet.

Reminds me of my teenage years of the one size fits all rubber gloves below the belt. Newsflash! They don't! Which made me have to frequent dirty, seedy, stinky newsstand peepshows near campus because they were the only ones selling "large" size prophylactics.

One size fits all what? Dwarves?

Reminds me of a minor international incident. Australia and New Zealand have a friendly (mostly) rivalry. Australia initialised a destabilising campaign on New Zealand by getting some extra large condoms, then repackaged them as Standard Australian Small Size and exported them to New Zealand. Poor devils have had an inferiority complex ever since.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Now, now, I heard it was the Soviets ordered some impossibly large rubbers from a U.S. manufacturer, and they stamped each package 'MADE IN U.S.A — MEDIUM' in both English and Russian.
Post by MAD-4A   » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:34 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

I was just looking at the DD-1000 design and have just realized a new one, the Mk57 missile launch system. Instead of mounting the missiles in a single battery/magazine in one central area of the ship, the Mk57 spreads the missiles in a line down each side of the ship, a 'guardrail' of volatile fuel and warheads!!! This is ridiculous, one hit (like on the Stark or HSM Sheffield) and there's some nice fresh missiles for you! why not use det-cord for the hand rails while your at it? Of-course if the missiles already been fired then it wont, but then it's not actually an active missile mag at that point so its mute point and not a practical (or safe) assumption to design around. Ammo should be in the center as much as possible so it has some bulk to protect it, not ringed around the ship as the first thing to get hit. (though admittedly they do look cool

http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/Mk-57-missile-launcher.htm)
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:I was just looking at the DD-1000 design and have just realized a new one, the Mk57 missile launch system. Instead of mounting the missiles in a single battery/magazine in one central area of the ship, the Mk57 spreads the missiles in a line down each side of the ship, a 'guardrail' of volatile fuel and warheads!!! This is ridiculous, one hit (like on the Stark or HSM Sheffield) and there's some nice fresh missiles for you! why not use det-cord for the hand rails while your at it? Of-course if the missiles already been fired then it wont, but then it's not actually an active missile mag at that point so its mute point and not a practical (or safe) assumption to design around. Ammo should be in the center as much as possible so it has some bulk to protect it, not ringed around the ship as the first thing to get hit. (though admittedly they do look cool

http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/Mk-57-missile-launcher.htm)

This is not ridiculous. This is practical. If the enemy hit the central-mounted missile cell, the detonation of missiles inside could seriously damage the ship. While if enemy hit the side-mounted missile cell, the power of detonation would be aimed outward & would not damage the ship ("Zumwalt" even have longitudinal anti-splinter bulkheads behind the launchers).

Not to mention, that side launchers served as an effective build-in protection, that prevent the enemy sea-skimmer warhead from entering the ship.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)

Return to Free-Range Topics...