Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Dumbest Inventions EVER

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Dumbest Inventions EVER
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:03 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

There is so little uranium in those, and it is so well contained, that the hazard is minimal.

Remember, we encapsulate nuclear waste in glass.
-------------
Bring out yer dead!
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:There is so little uranium in those, and it is so well contained, that the hazard is minimal.

Remember, we encapsulate nuclear waste in glass.
-------------
Bring out yer dead!

Yeah, but only to keep it from migrating out of containment and actually ending upmin the groundwater and streams. Any quantity of ...anything will stop alpha radiation, and just a bit more of a lot of things will block beta radiation, but pretty much no amount of anything stops gamma radiation.

And IIRC it is "spent" Uranium, U238 with the 234 and 235 isotopes mostly removed.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:I'm begining to think that the dumbest invention ever is the internet.

So much shit (OK, piss) that we're loosing reality.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I concur.

Add to it cable tv. So many channels to watch that it is overwhelming. I end up half-ass watching several. I have an 80 inch tv with pip. I oftentimes have several channels onscreen at once. A handy feature while watching sports, but anything else and you're just fooling yourself. My wife just rolls her eyes when it isn't sports channels onscreen. I agree, either watch one movie or none. And I would, if I could only decide on one. My wife teases me and says that I married her so I'll have someone to make the channel choice for me.

"No, honey. I married you so that I'll have someone to get the remote. You choosing the channel as well is an unexpected windfall."

Related to that is the remote control. It was designed so we wouldn't have to get up to change channels. It works too, if you didn't have to get up to retrieve the remote after you look for it for an hour.

But hey, its a $10,000 tv set. And the best feature on it is the integrated remote that changes every device connected to it, instead of having 50 different remotes.

But when you've misplace it, you've misplaced 50 different remotes. Cool! :roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MAD-4A   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:40 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

The 'ease of access' feature on these computers. If I wanted it full screen I would reach up and click the little button, if I didn't do that then I didn't want it full screen, duh!
how stupid are people that they can't click a little button and need help changing to full screen?
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:22 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

MAD-4A wrote:The 'ease of access' feature on these computers. If I wanted it full screen I would reach up and click the little button, if I didn't do that then I didn't want it full screen, duh!
how stupid are people that they can't click a little button and need help changing to full screen?

How about a dumbest not-invented? Or rather code not written. Why can't I delete word files? Like I beta for a few people, I finish one and can't possibly delete it, so I got 200 empty files.

And downloaded PDF files on my cell? No way I can find to delete them either.
Post by John Prigent   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

How about Microsoft auto-updates that don't tell you what they're updating or ask if you want that change - or even if you actually have the program they intend to update.

And that usually start just as you're shutting down the computer, so you get the choice of 'leave it running without anybody checking for safety' or ' switch off anyway and risk a garbled part-downloaded update'.
Cheers, John
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

How about everything from MicroShaft?
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:21 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:How about everything from MicroShaft?

Agreed. also Android OS isn't any better.
Post by zyffyr   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:How about everything from MicroShaft?

That isn't completely fair. They have in fact released a few genuinely good products over the years.

You just have to ignore the fact that all of those products were actually developed elsewhere and then either purchased or outright stolen by MS....
Post by Tenshinai   » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
Tenshinai wrote:Point #1, "a lot" if you look at total data of course it is, "a lot" compared to "all"?
Not even close.
"a-lot" is a subjective term so your augment has no merit.

Tenshinai wrote:Point #2, no you quack, it is a well known and proven FACT that the human body responds to touch, and reiki exploits that, regardless of any other claims made about how it´s supposed to work. That effect has nothing to do with placebo.
If someone 'thinks' something's going to work then it allows the mind to perceive that it has, yes the body 'responds', when I hurt my arm, for example, I grab it an rub it, that makes it 'feel' better, that does not mean that rubbing it actually made it better or did anything to heal it. There is no definitive proof that Reiki does anything more than a placebo effect, quack.

You really should start to check on things before you make yourself look like an ignorant fool.

http://www.in-mind.org/article/that-hum ... ocial-life

https://www.psychologytoday.com/article ... ower-touch

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article ... n_research
“Touch therapy” or “massage therapy” may sound like some weird Berkeley idea, but it’s got hard science on its side. It’s not just good for our muscles; it’s good for our entire physical and mental health.

Proper uses of touch truly have the potential to transform the practice of medicine—and they’re cost effective to boot. For example, studies show that touching patients with Alzheimer’s disease can have huge effects on getting them to relax, make emotional connections with others, and reduce their symptoms of depression.

Tiffany Field has found that massage therapy reduces pain in pregnant women and alleviates prenatal depression—in the women and their spouses alike. Research here at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health has found that getting eye contact and a pat on the back from a doctor may boost survival rates of patients with complex diseases.

Return to Free-Range Topics...