Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Dumbest Inventions EVER

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Dumbest Inventions EVER
Post by Daryl   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:48 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

A documentary on advertising listed the industry's two biggest achievements. Deodorants and bottled water. In each case mankind had done quite well without them until advertising created a need, and built an industry. It was pointed out that Evian is naive spelt backwards.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:54 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:In the spirit of the Holiday:

Turducken.

Had one for a sunday roast 2 or so weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:55 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Having grown up in a desert, I wasn't paying for bottled water. I was paying for COLD bottled water :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:12 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:In the spirit of the Holiday:

Turducken.

Lost a bet, did you? :lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by dscott8   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:48 am

dscott8
Commodore

MAD-4A wrote:<snip>

"Smart-Cars" are ugly, and have less 'utility' than a motorcycle with a basket on it. But I don't know if the qualify as 'Dumb Invention' they just need better designs.

Smart cars were designed for European city-centers. Streets laid out in the days of Charlemagne, blood-fight competition for parking spaces, etc. Americans who buy Smarts are either Euro-trendies or have so much stuff in their garages they can only park half a car. Don't buy one expecting tremendous fuel economy; a Toyota Yaris or VW Golf will equal it in real world economy, but they have back seats and luggage space.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:05 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:[quote="Weird Harold"]In the spirit of the Holiday:

Turducken.

Lost a bet, did you? :lol:[/quote]
No. We had one a couple of years ago and I decided to do it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by munroburton   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am

munroburton
Admiral

dscott8 wrote:
MAD-4A wrote:<snip>

"Smart-Cars" are ugly, and have less 'utility' than a motorcycle with a basket on it. But I don't know if the qualify as 'Dumb Invention' they just need better designs.

Smart cars were designed for European city-centers. Streets laid out in the days of Charlemagne, blood-fight competition for parking spaces, etc. Americans who buy Smarts are either Euro-trendies or have so much stuff in their garages they can only park half a car. Don't buy one expecting tremendous fuel economy; a Toyota Yaris or VW Golf will equal it in real world economy, but they have back seats and luggage space.

And Japanese cities. IIRC, they actually tax vehicles based on their length and width dimensions.
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:Dumbest inventions bought by the dumbest of buyers:

In my mind that would be a person who lives over 8 hours away from the nearest elevation change (up or down) and buys a 4x4 monster vehicle (the dumb invention bought by city folks)that gets less than 15 MPG and takes up two parking places in the flatland city they live in.

You´ve clearly never seen what muddy roads and wet meadows can do to cars. Elevation is irrelevant when you can easily get wheels spinning on flat ground.
Oh, and add desert areas to that, sand can be as bad as mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btKmt4pbrSI
4WD jeeps/cars and how well, or not, they manage mud. :mrgreen:

Amusingly though, when i did the youtube search i really did not expect the first hit to be a vid old enough that at least in theory might actually include myself or my oldest brother.

Tell me the car that gets through the mudhole around 7 minutes on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpbQeSGBR10
:D
Post by Daryl   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:03 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I agree that elevation is not the only reason to own a real 4WD, and that slippery mud/slush/ice and such can be an issue. However around here most of the full sized 4WDs are owned by city dwellers who never leave paved roads. I passed my driving test 50 years ago driving a Land Rover, grew up on a sheep and cattle station (ranch) where they were essential, and worked in outback oil exploration with them as well. Thus I know them, and don't hate them as such, but dislike having them in city areas.
I remember a family and friends gathering years ago where my nasty sister in law and her friends thought it was funny to talk about how they used theirs to bully other drivers.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:56 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Daryl wrote:I agree that elevation is not the only reason to own a real 4WD, and that slippery mud/slush/ice and such can be an issue. However around here most of the full sized 4WDs are owned by city dwellers who never leave paved roads. I passed my driving test 50 years ago driving a Land Rover, grew up on a sheep and cattle station (ranch) where they were essential, and worked in outback oil exploration with them as well. Thus I know them, and don't hate them as such, but dislike having them in city areas.
I remember a family and friends gathering years ago where my nasty sister in law and her friends thought it was funny to talk about how they used theirs to bully other drivers.

:shock:

And yeah, for those never leaving paved roads or have any kind of severe winter weather, it´s totally useless.

At the same time, it reminds me of 2 weeks ago when we had about a meter of snow in a day(completely gone now with up to +8C since) and my old classmate commented on FB that enroute to work she alone stopped and pulled 3 cars out of the ditch.

She however drives an Audi Quattro, so more race and rally car heritage than anything remotely "SUV"-ish.
Total showoff with 450-ish HP, but she both sells them and testdrives them so not quite as surprising as you might think at first.

Return to Free-Range Topics...