Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Anyone else in the path of Hurricane Matthew?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Anyone else in the path of Hurricane Matthew?
Post by dscott8   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Sitting here about 35 miles inland from Daytona Beach, waiting for the storm. Anyone else?
Re: Anyone else in the path of Hurricane Matthew?
Post by Louis R   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:00 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Not this time, no.

Is this your first? I have to say that I always found hurricanes rather boring: once the power goes out, there's not much to do but watch the cows blow past...

dscott8 wrote:Sitting here about 35 miles inland from Daytona Beach, waiting for the storm. Anyone else?
Post by dscott8   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:23 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Here we are two days later, and still alive. Power's back on. Props to Duke Energy for quick restoration -- my friends who have Florida Power are still waiting. Trees down all over the place. Our house was re-roofed last year and it help up great.
Post by smr   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:42 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Been through more hurricanes and tropical storms than I care to admit in this discussion. I hope and pray for anyone that is in the path of the storm. Now, an errant thought popped into the old noggin. I wonder how many children were created during the storm! :P
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Been through one. That was enough thank you. Reminded me of the Pacific Northwest winter storms hitting the coast with 100 mph winds, 40 foot surf and 6 inches of coastal rain in 24 hours. Did I mention that the wind is cold and wet?

Yep. I now try just to chicken out and stay out of the way of Mother Nature. Only a one in ten chance of the coming Cascadia Mega Thrust Magnitude 9 Earthquake happening in my remaining life which is good. A 100 foot tsunami? Yikes! :)
Post by umbrarchist   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 pm

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

When are Mark, Luke and John due?
Post by Louis R   » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Since Matthew made this year's list Mark will have to wait at least 2 years [Mary might have a crack at it next year, though]. Luke... didn't Luke come by a few years ago? Won't make it to the top again for quite a while, then. John might get a look-in soon, though.

umbrarchist wrote:When are Mark, Luke and John due?
Post by DDHv   » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:55 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

No hurricanes in North Dakota. I've known the wind to be over 65 MPH - fairly steady tho. I experimented with what angle could be obtained leaning against it, didn't fall though so the limit was further on
:!:

Occasional tornadoes though, very much smaller but more destructive. Someone between here and Aberdeen SD had an underground house built, concrete covered with insulation and dirt, which should be resistant except for the south and east facing walls. The owner bragged about it without words by parking his tractor on top for a month or so
:lol:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...