Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Hotspot

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Hotspot
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:31 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

How do you access the web?

I used to use a high speed internet LAN WAN, but switched to phone with lots of data package.

I know some people use their phones to access the web and this forum. I use Hotspot on my Motorola phone and a tablet to surf the web, currently using my Sony Tap 20 20" tablet. I sometimes use my 10" tablet or my 6.5" tablet. Phone screen at 4.5" is too small to use for anything more than on the move checking bus schedules the very rare phone call or some texts.

Hotspot, option on Android phones (Mac?) means I can use my phone as my router. Can connect multiple devices works great. Can be used anywhere even in a car, bus, walking down street etc... One can also use a usb tether on non WiFi computers a bit slower but pretty good too.

My internet use was 6-32GB per month when using WiFi cable, I have since Changing over found I use 10-16GB a month. Currently signed up for 11GB at 42Mbps Which is as fast as my Cable ever was. and another 5GB at reduced 33-500 Kbps speeds. At 33 baud going past 5GB is next to impossible. Still in the 90's that was considered high speed. USB speed is limited to 3Mbps currently.

I cancelled my Cable TV and Internet when I couldn't afford it. was paying $150 a month plus $40 a month for mobile phone 200 minutes and 600 MB of data. Switched to a modern plan now 11GB unlimited Canada US minutes on my phone. Canada US wide free calling... etc for $60 a month. With my 6-7 Free HDTV channels Broadcast I get to watch all the latest shows for a one time $20 pair of rabbit ears. I use my Desktop computer much less now. I may reduce my phone plan $10 5GB next month, tomorrow. I fell asleep watching youtube videos twice, that ate 4GB of Data. Autoplay eats bandwidth. Woke up to a black evangelical preaching hollering in my ear. I apparently watched for 1.5hours was that a weird dream... couldn't figure out why the guy was yelling at me.

Anyhow I learned my lesson. Autoplay off, and no more Cable TV Internet. Plus everywhere I go if it has free WiFi most do now. I do my updates there.

Switching to WiFi only small computer Tablet only portable computing smaller living, embracing minimalism. Empty Backpack philosophy.

Anyhow does anyone surf the web only on a phone? Do you use Hotspot? It is an option on the pull down options screen on most android phones. I only wish it was available on the Watch phones I would ditch my smart phone entirely.
Last edited by Lord Skimper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:34 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Hotspot works on iPhones as well.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hotspot in my vehicles.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Hotspot
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

How do you access the web?

100M/10M fiberoptic with multiple ISP choice, around 27$/month.
After they upgraded the fiberoptic to LAN box i could get 1G/1G at most, but it really doesn´t feel worth the extra pricetag.

Haven´t even bothered getting a mobile that is useful for going online with, no need.

If i´m not at home, i don´t have the time or need to go online anyway.
And at home, i have a nice cpu-optimised 4790K/32GB DDR3 2400/Radeon 7870 system that is nearly always on.

Autoplay eats bandwidth. Woke up to a black evangelical preaching hollering in my ear. I apparently watched for 1.5hours was that a weird dream... couldn't figure out why the guy was yelling at me.

:lol:

No such things as bandwidth/month limits here outside of mobiles, and even there, damn you have lousy prices. For 40$/month i could get 12GB mobile limit, with any unusued carried over to next month. 20$/ for 1GB, 30/ for 4GB. 60$/month would give 40GB limit... :?
Post by aairfccha   » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:51 pm

aairfccha
Commander

16/1 MBit DSL for about 22$ with unlimited data and including unlimited calls to national landline telephone, the router claims the line could deliver up to 100/40. Cable promises to be able to offer 200/12 but has not quite unlimited data (speed throttle for anything but HTTP/HTTPS after a certain volume is exceeded) and a much more limited router choice.

Mobile internet... when using my smartphone as hotspot for the PC, it took about two evenings to trip the speed limit (whopping 200 MB - cheap prepaid). Dial-up speed with today's sites is not fun. :evil: Not that more speed wouldn't be available. ;)
Post by DDHv   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:01 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:
snip

Anyhow does anyone surf the web only on a phone? Do you use Hotspot? It is an option on the pull down options screen on most android phones. I only wish it was available on the Watch phones I would ditch my smart phone entirely.

From watching my wife do it - with difficulty ;) I'm using a 40" digital TV for my monitor due to astigmatism. Our local phone company switched everyone to fiber optics a few years ago, the basic plan has plenty of speed for my needs without their high speed option. A router lets BJ use her phones.

When a youngster, our long distance communication was those ubiquitous black telephones. The primary source of information was the library, which is still very useful. Some things change, others stay the same. Much of what is available today on the web isn't very high quality, but careful searching helps
8-)

The first search engines > Librarians
:|
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...