Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Segregation or all mixed together?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Segregation or all mixed together?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:57 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

It used to be that the USA was a mixing pot where everyone stopped being who they were and became an American. Canada on the other hand was supposedly broken up in subset groups. Japanese Canadian, Italian Canadian, Chinese Canadian... It seems that The positions have switched. I was looking around the bus yesterday and noticed everyone there was just Canadian. 6 of us were white, 2 black, 6 oriental, 1 east asian, but all just Canadian. At the same time African American, Korean American, Italian American, Russian American, ... Seems your mixing pot separated into racial tension and ours just kind of became all mixed in just Canadian.
Post by The E   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:It used to be that the USA was a mixing pot where everyone stopped being who they were and became an American.

When exactly was that? Name a time period where segregation wasn't a thing in america, please.
Re: Segregation or all mixed together?
Post by imperatorzor   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:03 pm

imperatorzor
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Lord Skimper wrote:It used to be that the USA was a mixing pot where everyone stopped being who they were and became an American.

Says a Historic Illiterate.

Really this was not the case. The most overt examples of this was Jim Crow and Slavery as well as the Reservation System as well as the treatment of Chinese Workers on the West Coast. But more than that there was considerable segregation even among White People. There used to be a large areas of Texas where people spoke German as their day to day language (and there are still a few people who speak the Texas dialect of German). In the cities in the US there was significant conflict between the WASPs and non WASP Europeans (especially catholics). Institutions such as the political machinery of Tammany Hall arose because poor Irish immigrants had such a bum lot that it was easy to organize them to vote for their candidates who supported their businesses.

America is more of a mixing pot now than it ever was.

Zor
Post by Daryl   » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

We call it multiculturalism in Australia. Not having historical baggage like slavery it has been somewhat more successful here, but not perfect.
Successive waves of distinct cultures like Italians/Greeks from late 1940s to early 1960s, and Vietnamese after 1975 worried the AngloSaxon locals but ended up being very successful.
Current concerns relate to immigration from Muslim countries but at about 2% of our population it shouldn't be a problem.
A small proportion (5% at last election) of rednecks preach that the world is ending at each new influx.
Personally I enjoy the food and cultural art variety.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:56 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:We call it multiculturalism in Australia. Not having historical baggage like slavery it has been somewhat more successful here, but not perfect.

US was never a "melting pot". Like so many pieces of US clture we engage in mythology rather than reality. When my mother's family came to "The New World, Louisiana was owned by the French. When they were burned out of Acadia [now Nova Scotia] they eventually landed in Louisiana which was then owned by the Spanish, who advised them to head out west of the German settlements (des Allemands, La.). My grandfather's sister never to my recollection EVER spoke English. Only by third generations (mine on both sided of my family) do immgirants become somewhat mainstream.

Some here are still arguing multiculturalism as if we havr a choicve, Fact is North America was multi-cultural before the arrival of Europeans, and it has not gotten less so. we just never managed to figure out how to deal with it.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:00 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

America, (United States) might have been nationally or collectively a melting pot of different races, but regionally and locally it was probably never so.

Regions or towns remained very ethically and racially very segregated. I grew up in a 99.995 percent white community South of Los Angeles Ca.

Then I spent my adult working life in a racially divided medium town in central California. Race relations were tense. Now I live in SW OR USA; 99% white.

No matter where you go, there you are. You bring everything with you. Folks are marked by their environment and upbringing, whatever that was.
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:14 pm

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

HB of CJ wrote:America, (United States) might have been nationally or collectively a melting pot of different races, but regionally and locally it was probably never so.

Regions or towns remained very ethically and racially very segregated. I grew up in a 99.995 percent white community South of Los Angeles Ca.

Then I spent my adult working life in a racially divided medium town in central California. Race relations were tense. Now I live in SW OR USA; 99% white.

No matter where you go, there you are. You bring everything with you. Folks are marked by their environment and upbringing, whatever that was.

I agree, "The Melting Pot" is more myth than reality. I ws born and raised in Louisiana from he "Golden Triangle" home of my Cajun grandparents, New Orleans, home of my German grandparents, and Baton Rouge, part of "the shatterbelt" where the French and Anglo Saxon cultures meet. My neighbor hood was Cajun, PA Dutch, Families from Chicago (Irish), St Louis, Minnesota (Swedish), New York (Polish). So I did get a lot of different cultures. Alas we were a very white neighborhood. New Orleans is a port city with neighborhoods of different nationalities and languages interspersed.

The hallmarks of "multi-culturalism" seem to be tolerance and acceptance. Unfortunately The US is losing both.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Must admit. I never thought about 'melting pot' as being different at differing levels.

While Australia definately has racial enclaves in the big cities, it still sounds a lot more mixed that what WW and co were describing for the US.

Learn something new every day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:29 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Must admit. I never thought about 'melting pot' as being different at differing levels.

While Australia definately has racial enclaves in the big cities, it still sounds a lot more mixed that what WW and co were describing for the US.

Learn something new every day.

Besides Ned Kelly, that retain emptied its gaols and shipped the contents to Australia, some snippets about Aborigines, Ayres Rock, and, of course the Sydney Opera House. I am totally ignorant of Australia. But my step-daughter is marrying a fine young man from north of Sydney.

Once one moves past the plastic corporate restaurants, almost no place in America is like any other. Accents, social customs, idiomatic use of language. even the basic European stock varies. Louisiana is not as severe as Belgium Cajuns and Red bones do inter-mix especially within the last 25 years. but before then it was just a few miles either side of US highway 190, the "shatter-belt" Where joneses and Cormiers would meet and marry.

And Mardi Gras is not the same in New Orleans as it is in Mamou.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:52 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

It's a little like that here, but the accents and idioms really only crop up in far north Queensland and the way out back.

Though if you do come down here be careful ordering beer.

Biggest variance in language is the names for the various glass sizes they serve beer in, or even the mass produced swill you order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Free-Range Topics...