Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Segregation or all mixed together?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Segregation or all mixed together?
Post by Daryl   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I'd add the nasal whine from north Melbourne (Kath & Kim).
Beer glass sizes are called lots of different names, and only Queenslanders call suitcases "ports" (portmanteaus).
Otherwise we are fairly uniform in speech. There are variations in ethnic origins at different places, but we tend to talk the same and have similar values.

Annachie wrote:It's a little like that here, but the accents and idioms really only crop up in far north Queensland and the way out back.

Though if you do come down here be careful ordering beer.

Biggest variance in language is the names for the various glass sizes they serve beer in, or even the mass produced swill you order.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Re: Segregation or all mixed together?
Post by WeirdlyWired   » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:54 am

WeirdlyWired
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:I'd add the nasal whine from north Melbourne (Kath & Kim).
Beer glass sizes are called lots of different names, and only Queenslanders call suitcases "ports" (portmanteaus).
Otherwise we are fairly uniform in speech. There are variations in ethnic origins at different places, but we tend to talk the same and have similar values.

Annachie wrote:It's a little like that here, but the accents and idioms really only crop up in far north Queensland and the way out back.

Though if you do come down here be careful ordering beer.

Biggest variance in language is the names for the various glass sizes they serve beer in, or even the mass produced swill you order.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So, is that flavored carbonated bottle of stuff cola , pop, soda, coke (generic for any brand or flavor)?

And those lace up rubber sole shoes sneaks, trainers, keds, tennas, sneakers, gym shoes or tennis shoes?

Beyond Appalachia does anyone call a darning needle (dragon fly) a "snake doctor" or know want "my ownest one" means?

And who calls a dance "Fais do-do" or a pig roast "Cochon de Lait."

Just mix em all up, upset everyones' sense of order and just get over themselves. [Sighs] yes I know it is very dangerous to make one confront his delusions.
Helas,chou, Je m'en fache.

Return to Free-Range Topics...