Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Favorite ships

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Favorite ships
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:08 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVBuBgfXrE

Ah, yes I've seen these (about - not physically yet), they are interesting & marketed right, they could revolutionize heavy air transport. I like the Akron class concept, I think the design was not built properly. with modern materials, airships could be put back in use. You could also design a relatively safe hydrogen design, or a composite design, with Hydrogen bags contained within Helium envelopes. the Hydrogen would provide extra lift while the Helium provides a lifting outer safety buffer (a tear in the Hydrogen bag would first require a tear in the Helium bag which would serve as a buffer) the Helium would also help protect against fire or spark (lightening) transfers. I designed a Mars probe once which was a rigid airship using Hydrogen (with thin polymer fill between bags). It would not need anti-fire protection (just anti-spark protection from internal electronics) the atmosphere on Mars is mostly CO2 anyway so it would be flying inside a giant fire-extinguisher.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVBuBgfXrE

Ah, yes I've seen these (about - not physically yet), they are interesting & marketed right, they could revolutionize heavy air transport. I like the Akron class concept, I think the design was not built properly. with modern materials, airships could be put back in use. You could also design a relatively safe hydrogen design, or a composite design, with Hydrogen bags contained within Helium envelopes. the Hydrogen would provide extra lift while the Helium provides a lifting outer safety buffer (a tear in the Hydrogen bag would first require a tear in the Helium bag which would serve as a buffer) the Helium would also help protect against fire or spark (lightening) transfers. I designed a Mars probe once which was a rigid airship using Hydrogen (with thin polymer fill between bags). It would not need anti-fire protection (just anti-spark protection from internal electronics) the atmosphere on Mars is mostly CO2 anyway so it would be flying inside a giant fire-extinguisher.

On Mars with the next to no atmospheric pressure 0.7% of Earth. or if Earth is 1 Mars is 0.007. You don't use hydrogen you use vacuum. It weighs nothing. A very thin graphene 'envelope' and frame will let you move about Mars with lift abilities.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

In therms of aeronautic, Venus is much better. Proven by USSR; we launched serevar baloon probes into Venus atmosphere, and they drifted for a few days.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:In therms of aeronautic, Venus is much better. Proven by USSR; we launched serevar baloon probes into Venus atmosphere, and they drifted for a few days.
yes, then disappeared - literally, Venus is a giant ball of acid.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.

Return to Free-Range Topics...