Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Favorite ships

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Favorite ships
Post by cthia   » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My fascination has always been with submarines. As a kid I simply adored the game Battleship. The German Type VII is a fascination of mine and the USS Virginia (SSN-774) is awesome. I suppose that is part reason I thoroughly enjoyed the awesome 2012 movie "Battleship." Those old Battleships back then were built to dish it out and take it too.

If I had to choose a surface ship I suppose it would have to be the fast frigates. As commerce raiders they were incredible. And as a commerce raider, the CSS Alabama raised more hell on the open sea than a band of Beelzebubs. It was known as the "Shark of the Confederacy" during the uncivil Civil War. "In one famous twenty two month sortie, her captain Raphael Semmes ravaged the Union seaboard trade."

"The Alabama took sixty merchant vessels and didn't kill a single person and thereby set a very very humane precedent and because of that Raphael Semmes is probably the greatest commerce raider in American history. Certainly sixty vessels is a record."
— Kenneth J. Hagan Ph.D Author, "This People's Navy."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:Hmm, I assumed they'd be able to get some ships in range but failed to look up the top steaming speed of some of the blockading ships, so eroniously assumed she'd be able to steam past quickly while taking only a few salvos (which she was big enough and tough enough (double hull of 19mm iron wrought iron plates) to largely ignore...
Plus, the Blockade ships know right where you're going, it's not like you can "fake-left-go-right" etc... Some of the Runners themselves (like the Robert E. Lee) were captured, armed, and put back in service as a blockade ship. When Lincoln made his 'ridiculous' proposal and told the Navy "Do it!", the Navy formed a comity, a blockade board, with the best experts they could come up with on how to do it. One of the first things they came up with was that all blockade ships must be steam powered, so they could maintain station and be fast enough to run-down ships attempting to run it. There were a few good exceptions, especially early on until they had enough steam ships to go around, but they were still rare, and really good sail ships. That was why (despite the propaganda cartoon) you couldn't just sail by on a clear day, They'd see you leagues away. You snuck in at night, or during fog, in a small, fast, low profile, fog-grey painted (Stealth) steam packet, and hope you didn't run across a picket before you were within dashing distance of the headlands.
But, yes She was impressive for her day, and an interesting engineering composit.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

feyhunde wrote:USS Santiago de Cuba was a gunboat that caught treasonous rebel blockage runners. It could do 14 knots as well, as well as having twin 20 pound Parrot rifles as well as 8 32-pounders.

7 of her crew earned the Medal of Honor. At least 11 captures to this ship, going all over the Atlantic and Gulf.
It'd been interesting If she had managed to catch the Alabama or Florida, like the dog that catches the fire-truck :twisted: (Am I in here with you, or are you in here with me!)
Last edited by MAD-4A on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:38 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:My fascination has always been with submarines. As a kid I simply adored the game Battleship. The German Type VII is a fascination of mine and the USS Virginia (SSN-774) is awesome. I suppose that is part reason
Have you read the books: (https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Coffins-Personal-Account-Battles/dp/030681160X) or (https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Drumbeat-Dramatic-Germanys-American/dp/1591143020)? Iron Coffins is the Auto-biography of Herbert Werner, Commander of the last U-boat to escape Breast Harbor before it was liberated. He was also the XO of the U-boat that attacked Norfolk harbor and laid a minefield. It gives a very descriptive view of real life aboard a type IIV. Operation Drumbeat (or 'Drum-roll') is the biography of Reinhard Hardegen and the devastating attack on the US east coast just after Pearl Harbor. He was in a Type IX. there is one action, as they approach the US coast where he receives a direct com from HQ informing him of an intercepted distress signal from a large ship that has broken down and needing towed in. He is Authorized to break operational secrecy if he can get her, so he decides too. It has a very surprising outcome (spoiler left out).
{After being caught unaware, due to a major snafu by Navy Intel, and not due to any shirking or incompetence on his part, Admiral Kimmel was relieved of command, reduced 2 stars and forced into retirement. King, on the other hand, performed with obvious and appalling incompetence and dereliction of duty recived no punishment what-so-ever for the major debacle on the East coast, a performance that was actively covered up and hidden!}
cthia wrote:If I had to choose a surface ship I suppose it would have to be the fast frigates. As commerce raiders they were incredible. And as a commerce raider, the CSS Alabama raised more hell on the open sea than a band of Beelzebubs. It was known as the "Shark of the Confederacy" during the uncivil Civil War. "In one famous twenty two month sortie, her captain Raphael Semmes ravaged the Union seaboard trade."
Yea, I will always equate the name 'Kearsarge' with 'cheater', even though we've had a few since then, including the current LHD-3.
-
Post by feyhunde   » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:40 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

MAD-4A wrote:
feyhunde wrote:USS Santiago de Cuba was a gunboat that caught treasonous rebel blockage runners. It could do 14 knots as well, as well as having twin 20 pound Parrot rifles as well as 8 32-pounders.

7 of her crew earned the Medal of Honor. At least 11 captures to this ship, going all over the Atlantic and Gulf.
It'd been interesting If she had managed to catch the Alabama of Florida, like the dog that catches the fire-truck :twisted: (Am I in here with you, or are you in here with me!)

Considering it was comparable in many ways to the USS Kearsarge, which did sink the Alabama, I think it would win.

The biggest problem was the Kearsarge had additional Armour belts installed. Otoh the Alabama didn't have the best gunners. I think the Rebel Navy lacked training and materiel to get their gunnery up to snuff. The rebels simply lacked industry and had their energy focused on the army.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

My choice for Scify spaceship I would be the S.A. Coreys' Rocinante. A Ship I could pilot if I could pilot a spaceship.

On Earth I'm an Airship / Dirigible Person what class is that?
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:16 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

feyhunde wrote:Considering it was comparable in many ways to the USS Kearsarge, which did sink the Alabama, I think it would win.
The biggest problem was the Kearsarge had additional Armor belts installed....
No, She cheated, she bought chain link fencing in France and as she sailed out, the crew attached it to the side of the ship as make-shift armor (Alabama was using standard ball shot, not AP), still one round penetrated right beside the power mag but failed to go off, if it had, it'd been a different point in history.
feyhunde wrote:... the Alabama didn't have the best gunners. I think the Rebel Navy lacked training and materiel to get their gunnery up to snuff. The rebels simply lacked industry and had their energy focused on the army.
Where is this from? The Alabama had veteran gunners who totally out shot Kearsarge, the shells just wouldn't penetrate the hull. She certainly made short work of Hatteras, and that was after dusk fell.
-
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:My choice for Scify spaceship I would be the S.A. Coreys' Rocinante. A Ship I could pilot if I could pilot a spaceship.
I haven't heard of that ... oh wait!!! wrong series, your fired! :x (jk)
Lord Skimper wrote:On Earth I'm an Airship / Dirigible Person what class is that?
Not classified - 'A' is taken for Ancient so "V" for 'Vertical' - Updated list on post 1, did I miss any? Which one? Have you seen this?https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Line_drawings_of_airships,
or this
https://www.amazon.com/DG-Strategy-Tactics-Magazine-Zeppelin/dp/B007KAE68K?
I have this game. It plays well but there is one error, when the British send out aircraft on ASW patrol it says that they roll on the ASW "results" table but fails to state that they must first roll to "spot" so 'by the rules' each plane gets at-least 1 point (minimum on the results table). It should read that they roll to spot (1 in 6 listed on the 'Spotting' chart) and if successful then roll for the result. This correction makes it a fun game for both sides. Without it the British have little reason early on to attempt to intercept. They can get more points by just attacking subs & the Germans have little chance of winning.
-
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
cthia wrote:My fascination has always been with submarines. As a kid I simply adored the game Battleship. The German Type VII is a fascination of mine and the USS Virginia (SSN-774) is awesome. I suppose that is part reason
Have you read the books: (https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Coffins-Personal-Account-Battles/dp/030681160X) or (https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Drumbeat-Dramatic-Germanys-American/dp/1591143020)? Iron Coffins is the Auto-biography of Herbert Werner, Commander of the last U-boat to escape Breast Harbor before it was liberated. He was also the XO of the U-boat that attacked Norfolk harbor and laid a minefield. It gives a very descriptive view of real life aboard a type IIV. Operation Drumbeat (or 'Drum-roll') is the biography of Reinhard Hardegen and the devastating attack on the US east coast just after Pearl Harbor. He was in a Type IX. there is one action, as they approach the US coast where he receives a direct com from HQ informing him of an intercepted distress signal from a large ship that has broken down and needing towed in. He is Authorized to break operational secrecy if he can get her, so he decides too. It has a very surprising outcome (spoiler left out).
{After being caught unaware, due to a major snafu by Navy Intel, and not due to any shirking or incompetence on his part, Admiral Kimmel was relieved of command, reduced 2 stars and forced into retirement. King, on the other hand, performed with obvious and appalling incompetence and dereliction of duty recived no punishment what-so-ever for the major debacle on the East coast, a performance that was actively covered up and hidden!}
cthia wrote:If I had to choose a surface ship I suppose it would have to be the fast frigates. As commerce raiders they were incredible. And as a commerce raider, the CSS Alabama raised more hell on the open sea than a band of Beelzebubs. It was known as the "Shark of the Confederacy" during the uncivil Civil War. "In one famous twenty two month sortie, her captain Raphael Semmes ravaged the Union seaboard trade."
Yea, I will always equate the name 'Kearsarge' with 'cheater', even though we've had a few since then, including the current LHD-3.

I've been suggested that book on many occasions but always forgot. I ordered it and now I have it, thanks to your recommendation when I was sitting where I could do something about it.

Thanks. Looks verrry interesting and intriguing. Presently I'm getting my jollies on YouTube documentaries of the Silent Service and the German Type VII. Etc.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:34 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I like the ML866 Keeps me thinking it is the closest thing to a real "Serenity" Firefly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVBuBgfXrE

Return to Free-Range Topics...