Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Favorite ships

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Favorite ships
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:08 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVBuBgfXrE

Ah, yes I've seen these (about - not physically yet), they are interesting & marketed right, they could revolutionize heavy air transport. I like the Akron class concept, I think the design was not built properly. with modern materials, airships could be put back in use. You could also design a relatively safe hydrogen design, or a composite design, with Hydrogen bags contained within Helium envelopes. the Hydrogen would provide extra lift while the Helium provides a lifting outer safety buffer (a tear in the Hydrogen bag would first require a tear in the Helium bag which would serve as a buffer) the Helium would also help protect against fire or spark (lightening) transfers. I designed a Mars probe once which was a rigid airship using Hydrogen (with thin polymer fill between bags). It would not need anti-fire protection (just anti-spark protection from internal electronics) the atmosphere on Mars is mostly CO2 anyway so it would be flying inside a giant fire-extinguisher.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:14 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVBuBgfXrE

Ah, yes I've seen these (about - not physically yet), they are interesting & marketed right, they could revolutionize heavy air transport. I like the Akron class concept, I think the design was not built properly. with modern materials, airships could be put back in use. You could also design a relatively safe hydrogen design, or a composite design, with Hydrogen bags contained within Helium envelopes. the Hydrogen would provide extra lift while the Helium provides a lifting outer safety buffer (a tear in the Hydrogen bag would first require a tear in the Helium bag which would serve as a buffer) the Helium would also help protect against fire or spark (lightening) transfers. I designed a Mars probe once which was a rigid airship using Hydrogen (with thin polymer fill between bags). It would not need anti-fire protection (just anti-spark protection from internal electronics) the atmosphere on Mars is mostly CO2 anyway so it would be flying inside a giant fire-extinguisher.

On Mars with the next to no atmospheric pressure 0.7% of Earth. or if Earth is 1 Mars is 0.007. You don't use hydrogen you use vacuum. It weighs nothing. A very thin graphene 'envelope' and frame will let you move about Mars with lift abilities.
Post by Dilandu   » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Dilandu
Rear Admiral

In therms of aeronautic, Venus is much better. Proven by USSR; we launched serevar baloon probes into Venus atmosphere, and they drifted for a few days.
------------------------
If power's on your shopping list
Then use the elbow and the fist,
Pummel 'em until they get the gist
Just make an example of
Representative sample of
And most of them will not be missed! (c)
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:58 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:In therms of aeronautic, Venus is much better. Proven by USSR; we launched serevar baloon probes into Venus atmosphere, and they drifted for a few days.
yes, then disappeared - literally, Venus is a giant ball of acid.

Return to Free-Range Topics...