Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Favorite ships

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Favorite ships
Post by MAD-4A   » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:05 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

as for my own,
"A" - Viking long-ships
"S" - USS Constitution
"I" - USS Roanoke, yea, she was a failure and union, but 3 turrets on a monitor was cool, and the odd layout of the guns was interesting
"P" - Brandenburg class really the first all-big-gun "Dreadnoughts" they did away with the intermediate caliber in favor of more main guns, the idea Fisher (3rd Sea Lord in-charge of new weapons at that time) would later steal.
"D" - USS Wyoming, I just like those 4 twin turrets aft, great pick of her sailing through the Panama Canal showing them off.
"W" - IJN Kitakami class CLTT - 40 LL Torpedoes - ineffective but just cool.
"M" - I'll have to go with Albany as-well (or Chicago - similar conversion)
"X" - Robotech SDF-3
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

HMS Warrior for her innovative design but keeping a link to the past as well. HMS Jervis Bay for it's heroic crew.

Battleships are a personal favourite class - Yamato (just has to be listed), Missouri (best balanced & only one I have actually seen), Rodney (a Washington Treaty slugger who couldn't run away), and Warspite (most accurate gunnery in the RN).
Fictional include - HMS Ulysses, Tardis, and Hexapuma.
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am

Dilandu
Admiral

Well, my favorities:

A - probably none.

S - a few; USS "Constitution", ottoman "Mahmudiye"

I - a lot; french "Le Napoleon" (fast screw ship-of-the-line), peruvian "Huascar", russian "Piotr Veliky", british HMS "Inflexible".

P - french "Marseau", french "Charles Martel", USS "Iowa"

D - HMS "Tiger", austrian "Tegetgoff", USS "Nevada"

W - french "Dunkerque", german "Deutchland", USS "South Dakota", italian "Littorio" & "Zara" classes.

M1 - USS "Albany" (missile cruiser conversion), british "County", soviet pr.58

M2 - japanese "Atago"-class, "Ticonderoga"-class.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:11 am

Dilandu
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:
And, Yes I think Albany was a very interesting conversion, but missile is missile. We still had Mk-11 and Mk-16s when I was in Gun School, so with an electronic/FC/Radar upgrade, she could (assuming she still existed) be brought up to modern standards and be able to fire modern missiles. the last mod of the Mk-11 & 16 could both fire Harpoon.

I once speculated about AU ramjet version of Standard missile - ultra-long range, with active radar seeker (from AIM-54), and fitted to replace "Talos" on "Albany"-class and "Long Beach"-class cruisers) RIM-68 SM-1LR, with Marquardt ramjet engine (solid-fuel sustainer) and Hercules MK 12 booster.

Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:55 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:I once speculated about AU ramjet version of Standard missile - ultra-long range, with active radar seeker (from AIM-54), and fitted to replace "Talos" on "Albany"-class and "Long Beach"-class cruisers) RIM-68 SM-1LR, with Marquardt ramjet engine (solid-fuel sustainer) and Hercules MK 12 booster.
Interesting, a "SeaPhoenix" hadn't thought of that. I did a redesign of the B-1, replacing the ground search radar with an AN/AWG-9 and replacing the simi-recessed Tomahawk rails with AIM-54 rails for a very-long range anti-bomber interceptor. The forward Bombay was replaced with a drop-down AU-8 Avenger and ammo and the rear bays with drop-down rails for AIM-4 or AIM-9's. 1 unit could drop an entire squadron of TU-16 or 22s by itself.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:57 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

-
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:...for AIM-4 ...

Why would you hamstring your "fighter" with a POS like the AIM-4? There is a very good reason that the AIM-4 is no longer in service.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:Interesting, a "SeaPhoenix" hadn't thought of that.

Actually, there was a real suggestion of making the AIM-54 "Phoenix" a naval SAM. It was supposed to be launched from box launchers, and provide short-reaction anti-air defense in range of about 50 km - i.e. long-range (over-the-horizon ever) analogue of Sea Sparrow. But the program wasn't developed much.

I did a redesign of the B-1, replacing the ground search radar with an AN/AWG-9 and replacing the simi-recessed Tomahawk rails with AIM-54 rails for a very-long range anti-bomber interceptor.

Quite interesting! Sort of ultra-heavy interceptor?

Post by Dilandu   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Why would you hamstring your "fighter" with a POS like the AIM-4? There is a very good reason that the AIM-4 is no longer in service.

Well, let's not be too harsh about ol' Falcon. She was first-generation AAM, and - for first-generation AAM - she was quite fine. Better than early Soviet and British analogues, definitedly.

But... then the "Sidewinder" came. And "Sidewinder" was a perfection. A missile so simple, elegant, and cheap, that it suddenly became possible to arm all figther aircrafts with missiles, and use them against any kind of aerial targets.

Basically, the AIM-4 wasn't bad; just the AIM-9 was perfect.

P.S. But IMHO, the AIR-2 Genie was the best)

Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dilandu wrote:Basically, the AIM-4 wasn't bad; just the AIM-9 was perfect.

P.S. But IMHO, the AIR-2 Genie was the best)

On the F106 and F101 I suppose the Falcon was OK. On the F-4 in Vietnam, it was an unreliable, obsolete POS. If Mad4A wanted to go "old-school" in arming his fantasy, he should have gone for the Genie. At least it had the benefit of being simple -- and nuclear.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Free-Range Topics...