Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Technological timeline

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Technological timeline
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Digital to Biotechnological to Transhumanistic to Nanotech to Transcendent to Magic and simpler base life.

By these last couple 'times', one foresees a time when science and technology become one with the natural order of things and simply turns into magic. Wave your hand and something happens.
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:12 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

I wonder if what you just related might be the natural order of the Universe? Star Trek gave us a glimpse of this with the Borg. Nano Tech and biology gone bad.

In my long lifetime we have come a long way. Communications and information tech comes to mind. Will we eventually have literal magic tech? Yep. How soon?

Probably in a much shorter time than we can even imagine. Plenty of good and bad science fiction books describing such. But .... my fear is the bumps in the road.
Re: Technological timeline
Post by Daryl   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Ringo's Dragon series wrote of a society like this, and what happened when someone took over the machinery and switched it off.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

Daryl wrote:Ringo's Dragon series wrote of a society like this, and what happened when someone took over the machinery and switched it off.

On Baen Books, it's listed as the Council Wars.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Daryl   » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Thanks Michael, I was too lazy to look it up, but remembered dragons as part of a title.

We are already some way along that path. To someone from medieval times the ability to summon light by a click of a finger (on a light switch), travel further in a day than most would in a lifetime, or talk to people far away would appear to be magic.
I live in a rural setting on a few acres, and compared to a medieval peasant my life is easy. I don't have to cart water, or wood by hand. If my crop fails I can just buy food, not starve. I look at my granddaughters (9 & 6) and wonder what world they will experience.

SiFi has been useful in providing inspiration and predictions, but I think there will be some surprises ahead.
Some things have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. In a cloud a Boeing 707 and an Airbus 380 look much the same and travel at about the same speed. No private air cars or humanoid robots. Lots of other surprises though like the web, computers, flat screens and such.

Michael Everett wrote:
Daryl wrote:Ringo's Dragon series wrote of a society like this, and what happened when someone took over the machinery and switched it off.

On Baen Books, it's listed as the Council Wars.

Return to Free-Range Topics...