Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Should Caster Semenya be allowed to compete?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Should Caster Semenya be allowed to compete?
Post by Nico   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Nico
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So, for the uninformed, Caster Semenya is a top female track athlete from South Africa, who won gold in the 800m at the WC 2010. This caused a serious controversy because of her masculine bodytype and naturally elevated testosterone levels.

Critics argued that the enhanced strength and endurance caused by her testosterone levels should disqualify her from competing in competitive athletics, as more 'traditional' female athletes are disadvantaged.

What do you think?

Personally, my opinion is that this is just another example of society trying to prescribe to women what the ideal female form should be. Semenya is undoubtedly female and as such should be allowed to compete as she wishes. As long as she does not use performance-enhancing substances no one should be allowed to tell her whether she may compete or not.
Re: Should Caster Semenya be allowed to compete?
Post by Annachie   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

No she shouldn't.

Reason being that her physiology lies outside the limits set for athletes.

Whether you agree with those limits or not, or even if there should be limits at all, her natural body chemistry exceeds them.

When the limits are changed to something where she will pass the various drug tests, sure.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Yes she should, just because she is ugly doesn't mean she shouldn't be able to compete.

Next you will say she should be able to compete because she is a lesbian.

I suggest we ban everyone who gets a gold medal. They are obviously cheating.
Post by Nico   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:20 am

Nico

What limits, Annachie? The only standard previously set for women's events were that the competitors be female and that they haven't used performance-enhancing substances.

Now, because Semenya's body enables her to perform better than her opponents, she should be banned from competition?

As Lord Skimper wrote, in that case ALL top athletes should be banned.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:53 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Just about every professional sport has limits on many of the bodies hormones and other chemicals.
It's one of the ways they test for drug cheats.
Testosterone is one of the hormones they test for, and her natural body chemisty tests as positive for drug cheating.

(Not just her aparently, a few women at Rio are testing positive)

Ergo, under the rules as they are she's out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Thing is high testosterone doesn't win events. Other wise all high testosterone individuals would be winning all their events and they are not. Even shows up more in Men who have low testosterone levels and win events.

We could just say that blacks can't compete against whites. Or asians against blacks or whites in events that favour the small.

Or we could just mix up all the criteria...

I say we should have mixed events, men and women, mixed races. And have every event work in pairs. Unless big teams are involved. Could be harder to implement though. Muslim states would freak out, Sweden has a hard enough time finding anyone not white and blonde... I do know a Norwegian girl I went to college with. She is Chinese looking. That was decades ago.

As for cheating every athlete cheats naturally through selection. Think Phelps would win if he was 5'9" or any shot putter would win anything if they were actor thin?
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The onus of responsibility is to the sport. Not to the athlete. She should not be allowed to compete. Those rules are emplaced to protect the sport, not the athlete.

Countries like Russia have already shown that there is no limit to the length that they will go to win gold medals.

Allowing her to compete may encourage countries like Russia to seek out that type athlete - now that a precedent has been set. Before long we would have lost the female event completely...

There goes the sport - the way of the NFL and Baseball. Whose magic has lost some of its glory from unrealistic records posted by athletes who were doping.

Russia has that MAlign mentality. The super soldier concept was always led by the East. So, if you give them an inch, they'll take a kilometer. And if she is allowed to compete, will expose the Games to an assault, at the very least, by the Russians.

The Olympic Games are no place for a racket. Jesse Owens taught Hitler that in 1935 - let's not go back.

The spirit of the Games shouts in the wind and the flame flickers.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Nico   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:11 am

Nico

Cthia, the moment you can provide me with an objective scientific standard that says 'THIS IS WOMAN' is the moment I'll agree with you.

As long as the applied standard remains non-scientific, arbitrary and subjective, it will remain a matter of opinion and reinterpretation, and therefor never truly resolved.
Post by Daryl   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Point 1, check that there is no cheating with banned substances.
Point 2, check that the competitors are women. By inspection and if needed, no Y chromosome.
Point 3, shut up and let them compete.

If you ban people for this, then where do you stop?
Post by Annachie   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:37 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

You have to ban her Daryl. Her 'normal' is so far beyond actual 'normal' that you invalidate the checks for banned substances.

Also, inspections proove nothing.
Besides, it's just a different test for 'normal', which some women wont be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Free-Range Topics...