Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Should Caster Semenya be allowed to compete?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Should Caster Semenya be allowed to compete?
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:37 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:
There is "normal." "Outside normal." "Abnormal."

* Ask yourself why athletes are not allowed to use performance-enhancing substances. Is it because all athletes can't afford it or have access to it? NO! It is because it damages the sport by creating an insane advantage between contestants. Elevated testesterone levels do as well. Same situation. Yet she gets to run on a technicality? No more sense of fair play?

Sorry. I disagree completely. She was born with naturally high levels of testosterone, just as my son was born with a height advantage. The same argument you used to say that it's not an advantage for him works for her as well - running competitively requires techniques learned through years of training. Runners don't just go all out - there's certain ways to breathe, how to plant each foot, how far to raise your knees, how long of a stride to take, and so on. Just because she has more power in her doesn't necessarily mean she can use it to its full advantage.

cthia wrote:Then why segregate men and women in the first place?

Yes, why? If a woman can keep up with a man, sports or otherwise, then why not? Billie Jean King beat the pants off whatsisname in tennis back in the seventies, even though he was supposed to be stronger and have more endurance than her. Tennis requires a lot of strength and endurance to play well on an international level, and King and whatsisname were both at the top levels of their respective sex divisions. I've seen several stories of girls trying out for, and getting on, their high school football teams, and doing well. There are women from around the world who do well in the military, in combat positions. Overall, I have no issues with anyone, male or female, who wants to compete in ANY sport, whether against others of the same sex, or those of the opposite sex.

cthia wrote:Well then, lets compromise. To semi-paraphrase Harrington, "If you're going to hammer me as a fan, then hammer me hard."

Let's allow doping. Let's allow increased hormone levels. Let's allow genetic enhancements. Let's allow gene tampering. Let's allow mechanical and digital enhancements. Let's allow drug popping in between sets. Lets allow outright men to run in the female events - (oops, this one's already possible.)

I never said a damn thing about doping. It has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, because the woman being discussed hasn't doped. This is a strawman and you know it. This woman has naturally high levels of something that can increase her capabilities, and you're treating her as if she's doing something illegal. I guess being born better than someone else at whatever means you can't take advantage of that advantage. That must be a lovely world you live in where all men truly are created equal. :roll:

How about all the other students at my middle son's high school? Should they be banned because they have a natural-born advantage over him due to his autism and diabetes? This is essentially your argument. They have an unfair advantage, and so should not be allowed to "compete" against those less advantaged than them. Never mind the fact that "competing" against those who have advantages over him inspires him to try harder, rather than just giving up. Isn't that a good thing?

cthia wrote:Now, lets book its opening night in a circus. Not a lot of seating capacity in a circus.

* Also, in the case of doping, its health issue.

The GAMES will fall into ill repute if measures are not taken now to protect them.

First the NFL. Then America's past time of baseball is tainted by steroids and has lost fans.

Diminished GAMES and lost fans are on the horizon.

There's also the threat of lost Olympians, as they will forego competing against super-man/girl. Oops, that's already happened as well - entire countries of athletes have been banned. Tainting the GAMES :roll:

Sure, that happens due to DRUGS. ILLEGAL DRUGS! Just stop it with the doping comments, because they are not germaine to the topic. Tell me what drugs this woman took that were illegal? Why is she being punished for being born?
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Maxx, 6 inches is not on the banned substance list.

High Teste instead of Regular is - for a reason. I keep bringing up doping, because doping is the common method to raise testosterone levels and raised testosterone levels yields an insane advantage ... and ... is ... illegal.

Now granted, Caster didn't get her elevated testosterone levels from a misguided — coach or sports program. No, she got them naturally from someone else - God. Now, you all know that I love God, but he's not allowed to sneak in any illegal substances either.

That which we call an illegal condition by any other namely would still Bolt as Insanely.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Actually it has everything to do with doping, in that she would have to be an exception to the drug testing rules, and once one exception occurs, someone else will try to abuse it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:24 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

[quote="cthia"]Now granted, Caster didn't get her elevated testosterone levels from a misguided — coach or sports program. No, she got them naturally from someone else - God.
[quote]

No, she got it naturally from two people - her parents. Now that I see this, I can see that I'm not going to get anywhere convincing you otherwise.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Now granted, Caster didn't get her elevated testosterone levels from a misguided — coach or sports program. No, she got them naturally from someone else - God.
MaxxQ wrote:No, she got it naturally from two people - her parents. Now that I see this, I can see that I'm not going to get anywhere convincing you otherwise.

Her parents aren't allowed to slip her an illegal mickey either.

No, you are not going to be able to change my mind. Because I know where this will all lead.

I don't want men running in the female events.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:31 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:I don't want men running in the female events.

...My curiosity has been piqued.
How many sports are there where women can out-perform men more than half the time (and by which I mean sports which both genders regularly participate in)?

And since there's the regular Olympics and the Paralympics (for the disabled), should we have Metalympics for those who, due to drugs etc, no longer qualify as un-enhanced humans?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Michael, equestrian which is gender irrelevent, and gymnastics if you pick the right disciplines.

I suspect you could add diving and synchronized swimming.

Not sure about winter, but Curling should be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Daryl   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Lawn bowls, target shooting, horse racing, probably motor racing. I've always thought that women can make better surfers than men, lower centre of gravity and more graceful.

Annachie wrote:Michael, equestrian which is gender irrelevent, and gymnastics if you pick the right disciplines.

I suspect you could add diving and synchronized swimming.

Not sure about winter, but Curling should be.

Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Well, I thought it was about olympic sports, but yeah.

I'd love to see a mixed golf major though with everybody playing off of the same tee's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:Well, I thought it was about olympic sports, but yeah.

I'd love to see a mixed golf major though with everybody playing off of the same tee's.

I'd enjoy that as well. Of course, it'd probably be unfair, being that women would be at their usual disadvantage in "driving" - "female drivers" you see. LOL

On average, men can drive some 60 yards further than women, club and loft angle being equal.

Although, being that most men are always getting "lost" when they drive, may go a long way in evening the score. LOL

Return to Free-Range Topics...