Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

The Last Ship

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
The Last Ship
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Anyone else enjoying the relatively new series "The Last Ship?" It is awesome! A real look into the life aboard a US Navy destroyer - as is promised. Lots of action. A tangle with a badass Russian cruiser in the first season and an even more dangerous nuclear sub in later episodes. I wonder if the awesome weapons displayed on the show are real? Such as the AK47? that reconfigures itself in a second at a 90 degree angle to shoot around corners safely!

wiki wrote:Premise

After a global viral pandemic wipes out over 80% of the world's population, the crew (consisting of 218 men and women) of a lone unaffected U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, the fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151), must try to find a cure, stop the virus, and save humanity.

Notice the similarities between the coat of arms in each photo above (inset, left corner). As for their mottoes, the fictional USS Nathan James dubs itself “The Spear of the Navy” while its real-life stand-in, the USS Halsey, sails with the motto, “Hit Hard Hit Fast Hit Often”.
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/read/ ... last-ship/

The Nathan James' Capt. Chandler seems to be a prime candidate for "PATIENT ZERO" for a carrier of Kirk's blood line!

Question. Is this really a Navy tradition?

(scene from show)

The peripheral exchange is between Capt. Chandler and Dr. Scott (the lovely Rhona Mitra)

"Sir, the officer of the deck sends her respects and reports the approaching hour of 12:00. All chronometers have been wound and compared, and she requests permission to strike eight bells on time."

"Permission granted. Thank you, O'Connor."

"Your crew needs permission, to tell what time it is?"

"It's a tradition, one of the many that keep a ship running safely and maintaining good order and discipline."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: The Last Ship
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Anyone else enjoying the relatively new series "The Last Ship?" It is awesome! A real look into the life aboard a US Navy destroyer - as is promised. Lots of action. A tangle with a badass Russian cruiser in the first season and an even more dangerous nuclear sub in later episodes. I wonder if the awesome weapons displayed on the show are real? Such as the AK47? that reconfigures itself in a second at a 90 degree angle to shoot around corners safely!

wiki wrote:Premise

After a global viral pandemic wipes out over 80% of the world's population, the crew (consisting of 218 men and women) of a lone unaffected U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, the fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151), must try to find a cure, stop the virus, and save humanity.

Notice the similarities between the coat of arms in each photo above (inset, left corner). As for their mottoes, the fictional USS Nathan James dubs itself “The Spear of the Navy” while its real-life stand-in, the USS Halsey, sails with the motto, “Hit Hard Hit Fast Hit Often”.
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/read/ ... last-ship/

The Nathan James' Capt. Chandler seems to be a prime candidate for "PATIENT ZERO" for a carrier of Kirk's blood line!

Question. Is this really a Navy tradition?

(scene from show)

The peripheral exchange is between Capt. Chandler and Dr. Scott (the lovely Rhona Mitra)

"Sir, the officer of the deck sends her respects and reports the approaching hour of 12:00. All chronometers have been wound and compared, and she requests permission to strike eight bells on time."

"Permission granted. Thank you, O'Connor."

"Your crew needs permission, to tell what time it is?"

"It's a tradition, one of the many that keep a ship running safely and maintaining good order and discipline."

Came across this...
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=294939

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

There have been a number of groaners and howlers in that show, but this is not one of them. When I was in the Navy we still had a few old-school mechanical tick-tock chronometers on the ship. For one thing, they are not affected by EMP. Once a day they would all be wound and compared to the electronic clocks, and in case of a significant error, we did not just automatically assume that the tick-tock was wrong!
-------------------
"Hey, have you seen the new hundred dollar bill?"
"New one? I haven't seen the old one."
Post by Senior Chief   » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

quote="cthia" Anyone else enjoying the relatively new series "The Last Ship?" It is awesome! A real look into the life aboard a US Navy destroyer -

Sorry. I have had a real look into life aboard a US Navy Destroyer having served aboard the USS Higbee DD806 (when it was bombed), the USS Dennis J Buckley DD 808, the USS Orleck DD 886 and finally something more modern (the previous were all WWII destroyers) the USS David R Ray DD 971. Life aboard that Hollywood representation is pure fantasy compared to the real life I observed while in War & Peace.

If anyone wants a real look perhaps they should enlist in the Navy. I also served aboard USS Independence CV62, USS Alamo LSD 33, USS Reaves CG24, also the USS La Jolla an LA class submarine. I forgot to mention the USS Chandler DDG996 and the USS Implicit (a minesweeper).

If I sound harsh I am sorry I have no respect for anything that comes out of tinsel-town.
Last edited by Senior Chief on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:quote="cthia" Anyone else enjoying the relatively new series "The Last Ship?" It is awesome! A real look into the life aboard a US Navy destroyer -

Sorry. I have had a real look into life aboard a US Navy Destroyer having served aboard the USS Higbee DD806 (when it was bombed), the USS Dennis J Buckley DD 808, the USS Orleck DD 886 and finally something more modern (the previous were all WWII destroyers) the USS David R Ray DD 971. Life aboard that Hollywood representation is pure fantasy compared to the real life I observed while in War & Peace.

If anyone wants a real look perhaps they should enlist in the Navy. I also served aboard USS Independence CV62, USS Alamo LSD 33, USS Reaves CG24, also the USS La Jolla an LA class submarine.

If I sound harsh I am sorry I have no respect for anything that comes out of tinsel-town.

No need to apologize. I want truth.

I was misled by this, out of the mouths of those presently serving aboard ship... https://youtu.be/SSS5sCSLwuE

Post by Senior Chief   » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

cthia wrote:
Senior Chief wrote:quote="cthia" Anyone else enjoying the relatively new series "The Last Ship?" It is awesome! A real look into the life aboard a US Navy destroyer -

If anyone wants a real look perhaps they should enlist in the Navy. I also served aboard USS Independence CV62, USS Alamo LSD 33, USS Reaves CG24, also the USS La Jolla an LA class submarine.

No need to apologize. I want truth.

I was misled by this, out of the mouths of those presently serving aboard ship... https://youtu.be/SSS5sCSLwuE

I remember on more than one occasion that the ships evaporators than turn sea water into fresh water broke down... The whole ship's company was on water hours and fresh water was used for cooking and for the ships engines (the ship was off the coast of Viet Nam) for weeks. Every time a rain cloud would appear and there was a chance of rain the ship was turned to stay under the rain cloud. Everyone went out on the main deck with a towel and a bar of soap to have a shower...

I also remember during one really bad typhoon in the Pacific the Captain reminded everyone over the 1MC (loud speaker) that all hands were to sleep with their life jackets on. That was reassuring... Not!!!

Return to Free-Range Topics...