Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Help me please!

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Help me please!
Post by Nico   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:04 am

Nico
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I need some step-by-step instructions, please.

I've bought a bunch of e-books directly from the Baen site over the years, but a while back my laptop finally gave up the struggle and I replaced it as my reading device with a Sansui LifePad tablet computer. It's an Android 4.4 device.

Problem is that when I went to download my Baen e-books, I received them in .zip format. I searched on the web but the instructions on how to extract .zips are very confusing and frequently clash with each other. I'm not savvy enough to understand convoluted geek-speak.

So please, can someone help me with some clear, plain step-by-step instructions, including which file manager app to use?
Re: Help me please!
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:34 am

The E
Admiral

Okay, so I am going to assume that you have a PC on which you downloaded the zip files, and that your tablet is connected to the PC via USB to allow you to transfer files to and from it. If you are using a recent version of Windows (7 or newer), you can just double-click them and look at the contents directly. Look through the archive until you find a file that matches the format of the ebook-reading-app you're using (Personally, I use Aldiko, which prefers .epub files). Mark that file. Press Ctrl-C. Now, open an Explorer window and navigate to your tablet. Look for a folder named "Download" or "Downloads". Open it, and press Ctrl-V. This will copy the ebook file to your tablet.

Now, on the tablet, open your ebook reader. It should have an option somewhere to import files. Use that to navigate to the downloads folder on the tablet, and import the book(s).

I am sorry for not being able to be more specific, but I hope this will help regardless.
Post by Nico   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:06 am

Nico

No, I do not have a PC. I connect to the internet directly via my tablet's internal modem.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Nico wrote:No, I do not have a PC. I connect to the internet directly via my tablet's internal modem.

I used an iPad mini working off of a Kindle format to download a book. Not sure about Android.

Try downloading a current Kindle app for android and then downloading your book.

Using Kindle. I went to the Baen site for my book and then simply chose to download unzipped Mobi Palm/Kindle format file rather than the zipped version. Unzipped should appear higher on the list of download items.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:35 am

Joat42
Admiral

You don't have to download the books in zip-format from Baen, you can also download them unzipped in their native format (epub, mobi etc). That way you don't need to use a zip-program.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 am

The E
Admiral

Nico wrote:No, I do not have a PC. I connect to the internet directly via my tablet's internal modem.

In that case, get yourself a file management app like File Commander, and use that to open zip files. Then you can extract the ebook files you need.
Post by Nico   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Nico

Thank you, everyone. You're awesome!
Post by dscott8   » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:01 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Nico wrote:I need some step-by-step instructions, please.

I've bought a bunch of e-books directly from the Baen site over the years, but a while back my laptop finally gave up the struggle and I replaced it as my reading device with a Sansui LifePad tablet computer. It's an Android 4.4 device.

Problem is that when I went to download my Baen e-books, I received them in .zip format. I searched on the web but the instructions on how to extract .zips are very confusing and frequently clash with each other. I'm not savvy enough to understand convoluted geek-speak.

So please, can someone help me with some clear, plain step-by-step instructions, including which file manager app to use?

Aside from the immediate issue of the .zip files, I'd suggest you get a good free book reader app like Aldiko from the Google Play Store. If you download future books from Baen in EPub format they will pop right up on your bookshelf in Aldiko.
Post by Nico   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:49 am

Nico

dscott8 wrote:
Nico wrote:I need some step-by-step instructions, please.

Aside from the immediate issue of the .zip files, I'd suggest you get a good free book reader app like Aldiko from the Google Play Store. If you download future books from Baen in EPub format they will pop right up on your bookshelf in Aldiko.

Done!

The problem was that when you download the ORDER, as I've been doing before, you only get the .zip files. You have to click on the title to get to the .epub etc options for downloading and I did not know this. As I said, sometimes I can be a right moron.
Post by dscott8   » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:30 am

dscott8
Commodore

Nico wrote:Done!

The problem was that when you download the ORDER, as I've been doing before, you only get the .zip files. You have to click on the title to get to the .epub etc options for downloading and I did not know this. As I said, sometimes I can be a right moron.

Not a moron, just not informed of a particular option. The good side of a forum like this is that one person presents a problem, others suggest solutions, and that benefits not only the person who presented the problem but anyone else who reads it.

Return to Free-Range Topics...