Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests

Father's day tribute

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Father's day tribute
Post by DDHv   » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

This is a bit late, but I'd like to make a Father's day tribute to my Dad. He lost his father at age 10. The family worked together, with all four of the boys turning out well.

The thing is, he passed the lessons onward.

He and Mom made a deliberate decision not to spoil us, which they could have afforded to do. Example: one toy I enjoyed was a 2x4 with one end cut to a point, another 2x4 on top, and slightly slanted pegs for smokestacks. He taught DIY.

He taught working at whatever was available. If something beyond our needs was wanted, and he agreed, he would put up half the cost - and make sure there was an honest way to earn. Mom helped - I remember when there was a snowstorm and Mom drove me around my two mile newspaper route. This was after she made sure of bundling me up well.

He taught me not to be afraid of numbers, or discipline. When I goofed in arithmetic, summer vacation didn't really arrive before I learned what should have been learned in school.

He taught me courtesy. The only time I remember being spanked was when he came home to find I'd been sassing Mom almost all day. After giving about fifteen minutes to cool off, he looked me up and hugged me, explaining he didn't like to spank me, but wanted me to be the best me possible.

Friends, he was my best example :!: :!: :!:
:D
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...