Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

Worth Reading

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Worth Reading
Post by DDHv   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:14 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

This is good, but not easy.

"Signature in the Cell" by Stephen C. Meyer

At 508 pages not including bibliography, the size reminds me of some of the thicker DW novels ;) ! I like learning from someone who knows more, but retain the right to agree or disagree, based on the evidences and the methods used for testing them.

Some will disagree with his conclusions. It is worth reading by anyone who is seriously interested in learning more about science and its methods. The discussions and analyses of what constitutes adequate proof are valuable! The parts about what constitutes information, and the proper use of probability analysis are worth the read by themselves.

I knew about inductive reasoning and deductive, but abductive reasoning is new to me
:D

PS, you are free to post anything you find worth reading. We might learn from each other
8-)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Re: Worth Reading
Post by DDHv   » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:58 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

By page 9, this one showed as well worth reading.

"Zero to One" by Peter Thiele with Blake Masters

Some may remember Thiele as a co-founder of Paypal and Palantir, others as an investor in many startups. Here he makes some important points that people interested in technology should know.

New technology has never been an automatic feature of history. Our ancestors lived in static, zero-sum societies where success meant seizing things from others. They created new sources of wealth only rarely, and in the long run they could never create enough to save the average person from an extremely hard life.

Many people today live as if zero-sum economies are the only possibility.

I've not finished the book yet, but it is plain that Thiele is writing on a subject he knows very well
8-)

Also, on the net, about what professionalism means:

http://permies.com/t/57497/wheaton/professionalism
:idea:

And:

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/1 ... about.aspx

I like
;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever