Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

If the econmy fails

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: If the econmy fails
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Thanks! Now to research the various methods to hydride metals. I figure a workable solution for using metal hydrides as fuels for IC engines is pending. Until then using pressured hydrogen tanks for IC powered tools and vehicles will work.

Electrolysis using solar and wind is a good stop gap until someone figures out fusion.

DDHv wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Are there any chemists out there to answer a question? Is there a way to store hydrogen in some easy to access compound?

I would like to be able to use wind and solar to generate electricity and hydrogen for peak usage. I would also like to use hydrogen for converted IC engines. The trouble is storage. Storing hydrogen as a gas is difficult and cumbersome.

Is there a compound I can bind hydrogen into and then extract it again later?

As always, cost is the critical element. Search on (hydrogen storage "Metal hydride"). There may be something else also, but at present this is the most likely
:|
Post by DDHv   » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:39 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:Thanks! Now to research the various methods to hydride metals. I figure a workable solution for using metal hydrides as fuels for IC engines is pending. Until then using pressured hydrogen tanks for IC powered tools and vehicles will work.

Electrolysis using solar and wind is a good stop gap until someone figures out fusion.

DDHv wrote:"="PeterZ"]Are there any chemists out there to answer a question? Is there a way to store hydrogen in some easy to access compound?

I would like to be able to use wind and solar to generate electricity and hydrogen for peak usage. I would also like to use hydrogen for converted IC engines. The trouble is storage. Storing hydrogen as a gas is difficult and cumbersome.

Is there a compound I can bind hydrogen into and then extract it again later?"

As always, cost is the critical element. Search on (hydrogen storage "Metal hydride"). There may be something else also, but at present this is the most likely

I just remembered - there is a company doing solar powered electrolysis which has a deal with the natural gas company - when there is extra hydrogen, they pump it into the NG pipes and the company pays for the energy, less a fee for using their pipelines for storage. This wouldn't work at a small scale, however, and it may be experimental.

The NG companies are storing energy in another fashion also. It is common for them to raise pipeline pressures at night when electricity rates are low, then partially coast when the rates are high. There are other forms of load shedding also.

For H2, check out fuel cells to produce DC, as their prices are dropping a bit.

As always, the critical part is cost vs. benefit.

Back to the thread's basic, From:

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/want-pro ... mpid=40055

I’ve hammered away at the auto loan bubble relentlessly for months, and we’ve also seen a massive bubble in student loan debt.

Mike Larson has been warning about a change in the credit cycle since last year, giving reasons for so believing
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I've been leery of student loans for some time. The market is huge. Wanna bet the loan holders get bailed out? All the big wigs get paid off when the kids default.

Toss in the bad debt in Italian banks and we have substantial downside risk to debt markets. Get out quick Britain and consider rejoining after Germany has bailed out Italy.
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:04 am

Senior Chief
Commander

PeterZ wrote:I've been leery of student loans for some time. The market is huge. Wanna bet the loan holders get bailed out? All the big wigs get paid off when the kids default.

Toss in the bad debt in Italian banks and we have substantial downside risk to debt markets. Get out quick Britain and consider rejoining after Germany has bailed out Italy.

I went to college on the GI Bill... Paid for every thing; books, tuition, lab fees, school supplies... However it meant being in the military to earn it.

All five of my children graduated with no college debt due to scholarships, their savings, as well as working while going to school. Too many of today's children young and old expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. They are taught that everything should be fair and equal and if someone else earns something on merit/dedication/hardwork that they somehow cheated. To many or just whining spoiled brats who respect no one but themselves. MHO
Post by umbrarchist   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:58 am

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

In 1995 there were 200,000,000 cars in the United States. In 2010 there were One Billion cars on the planet.

What does any country lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year? Don't cars wear out and get thrown away? Does it make sense to only add them to GDP whhen they are sold? They only count in economic growth?

But in 1964 engineers got the SR-71 Blackbird flying at 2,000 mph at 80,000 feet. There are dozens of Youtube videos saying that it is the greatest plane ever. 1964 technology!!!

But NO, egotistical morons get their egos wrapped up in their piston engine junk and keep buying useless variations and we have called it economic growth for decades. Economists can't do algebra.

http://www.toxicdrums.com/economic-warg ... imgar.html
Post by Senior Chief   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

umbrarchist wrote:In 1995 there were 200,000,000 cars in the United States. In 2010 there were One Billion cars on the planet.

What does any country lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year? Don't cars wear out and get thrown away? Does it make sense to only add them to GDP whhen they are sold? They only count in economic growth?

But NO, egotistical morons get their egos wrapped up in their piston engine junk and keep buying useless variations and we have called it economic growth for decades. Economists can't do algebra.

My fathers oldest car is a 1945 flatbed "Dodge" truck that was converted into a Camper Truck. His newest vehicle is a 1955 "Ford" Station Wagon.

Heck I drive around in a 1964 Ford Mustang. Not everyone gets rid of cars because they a couple years old. Why buy plastic when steel cars are so much better when they are maintained.

You should stop your rant about the U.S. and their love of cars. Just think if 1 Billion people rode a horse everywhere you would complain about all the organic horse-manure smelling up the planet. Just MHO.
Post by umbrarchist   » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:58 pm

umbrarchist
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Senior Chief wrote:
umbrarchist wrote:In 1995 there were 200,000,000 cars in the United States. In 2010 there were One Billion cars on the planet.

My fathers oldest car is a 1945 flatbed "Dodge" truck that was converted into a Camper Truck. His newest vehicle is a 1955 "Ford" Station Wagon.

Heck I drive around in a 1964 Ford Mustang. Not everyone gets rid of cars because they a couple years old. Why buy plastic when steel cars are so much better when they are maintained.

You should stop your rant about the U.S. and their love of cars. Just think if 1 Billion people rode a horse everywhere you would complain about all the organic horse-manure smelling up the planet. Just MHO.

You can't buy what is not manufactured and which side are you taking by bringing up those functioning old cars?

But is pointing out that economists do not compute and report Deamnd Side Depreciation a rant or is it just a fact about incompetence or lies.

How much of the CO2 problem can be attributed to Planned Obsolescence?
Post by DDHv   » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:56 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Senior Chief wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I've been leery of student loans for some time. The market is huge. Wanna bet the loan holders get bailed out? All the big wigs get paid off when the kids default.

I went to college on the GI Bill... Paid for every thing; books, tuition, lab fees, school supplies... However it meant being in the military to earn it.

All five of my children graduated with no college debt due to scholarships, their savings, as well as working while going to school. Too many of today's children young and old expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. They are taught that everything should be fair and equal and if someone else earns something on merit/dedication/hardwork that they somehow cheated. To many or just whining spoiled brats who respect no one but themselves. MHO

Yes. It took me five years, and I fell asleep in class a few times until getting used to the night shift - still owed about U$600 at the end.

I read that some of the on-line schools have good results, but some stink. Anyone know a reliable source of information about that? For someone who can learn really fast, a good on-line school could be great.

RG LeTourneau in the early 1900s didn't like school, dropped out and took correspondence courses instead while working - wound up the owner of about half a dozen factories. For people with high basic capabilities, one problem with standard schools is that they are too slow
:!:

It seems the students, consumers, and countries borrowing these mind-boggling sums never stopped to consider – one day, their debts would need to be paid.

Imagine that
:roll:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by DDHv   » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:05 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

umbrarchist wrote:
snip

Don't cars wear out and get thrown away? Does it make sense to only add them to GDP whhen they are sold? They only count in economic growth?

snip

Economists can't do algebra.

Ludwig von Mises wrote:In fact, economic history is a long record of government policies that failed because they were designed with a bold disregard for the laws of economics.
It is impossible to understand the history of economic thought if one does not pay attention to the fact that economics as such is a challenge to the conceit of those in power. An economist can never be a favorite of autocrats and demagogues. With them he is always the mischief-maker, and the more they are inwardly convinced that his objections are well founded, the more they hate him.

For some reason, servile scribblers who call themselves economists do become favorites of big shots.

This book is a key books for the Austrian school of economics. I just got it a few days ago, so can't say much.

Big shots tend to think that "You can't do that!" means not being allowed to "do that" instead of "that isn't possible."

You can't re-distribute without first producing. Many concentrate on getting a bigger piece of the existing pie. Figuring out how to mass produce pies works better.
Another example:
Senior Chief wrote:All five of my children graduated with no college debt due to scholarships, their savings, as well as working while going to school. Too many of today's children young and old expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. They are taught that everything should be fair and equal and if someone else earns something on merit/dedication/hardwork that they somehow cheated. To many or just whining spoiled brats who respect no one but themselves. MHO

Many people don't try to test the assumptions in what they are told!

"Safe havens in schools" indeed
:roll:
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Post by Rincewind   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:41 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

But in 1964 engineers got the SR-71 Blackbird flying at 2,000 mph at 80,000 feet. There are dozens of Youtube videos saying that it is the greatest plane ever. 1964 technology!!!

And you've only just realised this now? Economists have been making predictions for decades & look how they have turned out. One of the ones that was said in the UK years back was that we needed a weak pound to help our exports. Now, after the Brexit vote they have been complaining about the weak pound.

I can remember reading an article in an engineering magazine my father used to get said that if engineers were as accurate as economists they would have been instantly dismissed.

Return to Free-Range Topics...