Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Have you ever read a romance novel?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Have you ever read a romance novel?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I recently, 2015, read a Linda Howard book Shadow Woman. Romance Mystery. I didn't know it was a Romance novel till I got to the rather explicit sex scenes. It is a great book. More along the lines of the X files or Soldier of Fortune magazine, than a typical romance novel. With sex scenes. Suffice to say Linda Howard has been added to my reading list. Although I still get a bit self conscious looking in the romance section.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I recently, 2015, read a Linda Howard book Shadow Woman. Romance Mystery. I didn't know it was a Romance novel till I got to the rather explicit sex scenes. It is a great book. More along the lines of the X files or Soldier of Fortune magazine, than a typical romance novel. With sex scenes. Suffice to say Linda Howard has been added to my reading list. Although I still get a bit self conscious looking in the romance section.

I don't worry too much about genre -- a well-told story is pretty much worth reading no matter the subject.

Whatever looks good in the new ebook list at the local library goes on my 'wish list' for download to my kindle when I have time for it.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Re: Have you ever read a romance novel?
Post by DDHv   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:25 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
snip

I don't worry too much about genre -- a well-told story is pretty much worth reading no matter the subject.

Whatever looks good in the new ebook list at the local library goes on my 'wish list' for download to my kindle when I have time for it.

Most genre have some well told stories in them, even non-fiction. I use ILL for non-local books. The primary problem is uneven incoming patterns, a week ago they were six books behind, now there are four on hand. Most of the ILL books ordered are non-fiction, as the library is stuffed with fiction - why, this small town even has three of Weber's books
:!:

Mostly I read Weber when we go to Jamestown for some reason, which gives BJ time to do her shopping. Sometimes a paperback will be bought.
;)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I used to read Harlequin romances.
Cheap from the second hand stores, would fit into the back pocket of my jeans, and if it got lost or damaged it was no real loss.

Some were quite enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:10 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Cheap romance novels get stuffed into the small spaces in the BOB(v)WF(l) 5 to 7 day evac bags which we keep in the backs of our SUVs. BOB(v)WF(l) meaning bug out bags, vehicle, wild fire, large. Cheap. Meant as a diversion during nasty times. Hope we never need them. I also suppose they would work for earthquakes.
Post by Senior Chief   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:51 am

Senior Chief
Commander

Lord Skimper wrote:I recently, 2015, read a Linda Howard book Shadow Woman. Romance Mystery. I didn't know it was a Romance novel till I got to the rather explicit sex scenes. It is a great book. More along the lines of the X files or Soldier of Fortune magazine, than a typical romance novel. With sex scenes. Suffice to say Linda Howard has been added to my reading list. Although I still get a bit self conscious looking in the romance section.

Have you read John Ringo's Ghost series... talk about explicit sex scenes...
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:34 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Last place I worked was a military logistics office, staffed by uniformed personnel from three services, civilian public servants, and contractors. In the one office about 200 men and 50 women.
There tended to be some culture shock when for example a salty older warrant officer transferred in and kept using language akin to in the trenches. We tried the swear jar but it didn't help much, then my PA had the brilliant idea of getting anyone who crossed the line to read a page of a Mills & Boon book out loud. Hilarious to see and hear a rough tough non com reading "As their eyes crossed in the moonlight, Bryce tenderly ----". Worked. Stopped them from getting black marks on their record, and our younger females from being embarrassed.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Cheap romance novels get stuffed into the small spaces in the BOB(v)WF(l) 5 to 7 day evac bags which we keep in the backs of our SUVs. BOB(v)WF(l) meaning bug out bags, vehicle, wild fire, large. Cheap. Meant as a diversion during nasty times. Hope we never need them. I also suppose they would work for earthquakes.

Or when using public transport.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Indeed I have. And do!

Christine Feehan's Ghostwalker series - an elite paranormal military team chosen for their natural above average psychic abilities. These abilities are then unnaturally enhanced to dangerous levels to create a very capable soldier. Then, there's a female, not military, yet who also has enhanced paranormal powers of increased natural psychic abilities. One of these women is unbeknownst to either of you, your soulmate. And together your powers complement each other. This is an experiment by the government and some questionably sick doctor. Yet the results are Ghostwalker worthy! Manipulating them from behind the scenes to meet isn't easy. Yet, when they do - POW BOOM BAM, Walla Walla Bang Bang!

Imagine yourself being a guy and that there is one woman who is biologically "engineered" just for you. A woman that will "rock your pants" upon meeting her and who drive you sexually bonkers without even touching her. A woman made to intensely arouse you, who gets under your skin and into your psyche. A woman that you will kill for. Will die to have. A woman who feels these same very intense feelings for you. Imagine the sex between the two of you to be so intense that it literally starts fires around you because one of you has that type of paranormal power. What I'm speaking of is the notion of a "soul mate" taken to the extreme.

This is the world of Christine Feehan's Ghostwalker series - a world of paranormal romance. Psychic powers unnaturally enhanced in different ways without the knowledge of many of the participants. There's a soul mate out there for you and you don't even know it, that will melt the ice in your veins. And there's action aplenty!

I'm trying ta told ya! Whatta read! A favorite series numbering 12 books to date. She has other series that are just as popular. Dark, Carpathian and involving vampires and the like. All with a heaping helping of raw intense sexual desires unleashed. I cannot vouch for these other series receiving rave reviews, yet the Ghostwalker series, I can personally vouch that it delivers! And how!

New York Times bestsellers.

http://www.christinefeehan.com/ghostwalkers/index.php

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I always surf the used book stores. Particularly the smaller players and a few new bookstore chains for the bargain hard covers. Recently picked up a Weber hardcover for $3 ($2.30 usd) brand new. I always prefer reading hardcover, I then donate them to the public library.

Return to Free-Range Topics...