Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Fukushima power plant disaster 2011

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Fukushima power plant disaster 2011
Post by cthia   » Tue May 31, 2016 7:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TEPCO released 11,000 tons of low-level nuclear waste into the Pacific Ocean during the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster in 2011. It bOgGleS tHe mInd.

Humans are destroying the ozone layer and poisoning the ocean's food supply one roentgen at a time. Pair all of this with the low-level ionizing radiation we ignorantly administer to ourselves via smartphones, it won't be long before humanity takes an unexpected leap in evolution - giving a new meaning to going green.

I've never understood decisions to build nuclear power plants in a known quake zone. I consider that irresponsible. The Japanese people resisted the plant at first, but the US talked them into it.

Prime Directive - don't give technology to a culture whose irresponsibility born out of ignorance may destroy themselves. The entire country of Japan was facing destruction. And the entire world may be affected.

Although YouTube has plenty of good documentaries on it, "Fukushima A Nuclear Story 2015" is very informative if you can get it... https://youtu.be/ogQLKwGYAxQ

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Fukushima power plant disaster 2011
Post by Joat42   » Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 am

Joat42
Admiral

I have no problems with nuclear plants being built in earthquake prone areas as long it's done with the appropriate levels of safety and security measures.

What I found to be the most mindboggling thing about Fukushima is that they didn't have a "everything has gone to sh*t" plan, especially considering they put the emergency generators in a frigging basement on a coastline that frequently have tsunamis. On top of that the design of the spent fuel pools allowed them to corrode, crack and leak (wtf?!). The level of fail is astounding and most likely due to "budget reasons".

Anyone running a nuclear plant without having a "everything has gone to sh*t" plan should be charged with criminal negligence and in this instance it really showcases Tepcos ineptitude to run nuclear plants.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Do the Japanese still do honorable suicide? Perhaps they could even sell tickets sossss millions can watch what happens when people in positions of trust completely fail their nation. Sounds OK to me.
Post by Daryl   » Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

A consequence of this and Chenoble is that modern safe and efficient nuclear plants aren't being designed and built to replace the decaying old tech potential disasters.
A logical approach would be to do that, but is doomed by the NIMBYs.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

I've never been able to figure out how they allowed that disaster to happen in the first place. They had a nuclear power plant capable of generating 4 GW. In the week before the diesel generators ran out of fuel, nobody could figure out a way to rig up one turbine and one alternator to generate a few hundred KW to keep the pumps running? The waste heat produced by one shut-down reactor should have been enough for that.
------------------
Major Strasser has been shot! Round up the usual suspects!
Post by DDHv   » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:33 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:I've never been able to figure out how they allowed that disaster to happen in the first place. They had a nuclear power plant capable of generating 4 GW. In the week before the diesel generators ran out of fuel, nobody could figure out a way to rig up one turbine and one alternator to generate a few hundred KW to keep the pumps running? The waste heat produced by one shut-down reactor should have been enough for that.
------------------
Major Strasser has been shot! Round up the usual suspects!

Worse than that: FWIR, an (east) Indian nuclear plant was built near a coast, but they put their backup generators on top of a high, heavily reinforced tower. They also had a tsunami, but it is thought that the design, rather than the size of the tsunami, was the critical point.

No problem
:D
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...