Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

Independent evidence wanted

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Independent evidence wanted
Post by HB of CJ   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:50 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

"New tests that detect super bugs in a matter of minutes". I have been a retired RN for only a couple of years, but that is a lifetime in the medical profession. I know of NO such available tests. Any news on this?

Until the American Medical Field can break away from profit and not profession, including patient oriented results, such testing for super bugs and other nasties will not happen. Our orientation is in the wrong direction.

Why? No money in it. We in the United States have by far the best medical care money can die. That appears to be the way it has been for a long time and I for one see no change in sight. It will take several pivoting events.
Post by DDHv   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Dunno if this is what you're looking for, but...

A friend of mine passed out because she was listening to an acquaintance of hers tell a story about her mother having to be reopened after a surgery to remove a sponge and a surgical clamp from her body that had been left inside. It had been giving her serious problems for weeks and had formed a tumor around the items. It seemed that we noticed plenty more of these type examples since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retained_ ... nstruments

http://www.resource4surgicalaccidents.c ... nbody.html

I've just remembered:

"The Checklist Manifesto." By Atul Gawande.

IIRC, checklists were started to prevent "obvious" errors in the construction of skyscrapers, were later used with airplanes for like reasons, and are now being introduced into some hospitals, with good results
:)
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by DDHv   » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

HB of CJ wrote:"New tests that detect super bugs in a matter of minutes". I have been a retired RN for only a couple of years, but that is a lifetime in the medical profession. I know of NO such available tests. Any news on this?

Until the American Medical Field can break away from profit and not profession, including patient oriented results, such testing for super bugs and other nasties will not happen. Our orientation is in the wrong direction.

Why? No money in it. We in the United States have by far the best medical care money can die. That appears to be the way it has been for a long time and I for one see no change in sight. It will take several pivoting events.

A few postings back;

"Outsmart your Cancer" by Tanya Harter Pierce. 2nd Edition.

was mentioned. The author writes of 21 alternate treatments with better results than the slash/burn/poison standard method, and gives history and some details on about half of them. (Sarc) It is, of course, only coincidence that many of these would reduce pharma profits :twisted: (/asm)

Also:

"Assembly Bill 1671, introduced by Democrat Jimmy Gomez of Los Angeles, would make it illegal to secretly videotape any 'health care provider,' including abortionists.

California.

(Supersarc) Of course, they aren't concerned about the money :roll: (/Superasm)

Anytime you find a true professional in any field, CHERISH them!

I tried a search on (screening AND superbugs) with no solid result. IIRC, there has been some work on detecting vapors characteristic of some diseases, but it may not have gone past the experimental stage yet
:?
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Louis R   » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

There are immunoassay techniques that take minutes to ID the bug - after you've cultured your swabs for 24-48 hours so you have enough material to work with.

There are also techniques that would work accurately with the materiel on that swab. And are quite painstaking and would give you a result in hours, at best. If you had a lab that can use them, that is.

Finally, there have been people working on getting the former to be effective with much smaller amounts of material and/or speeding up and simplifying the latter. AFAIK, the twain have yet to meet.

Post-finally, once the body has mounted a full-scale immune response, it would be feasible to create blood tests that would ID the bugs in about the same time as a blood-type test. That, in many cases, will be helpful for telling the family what just killed Uncle Bill...

HB of CJ wrote:"New tests that detect super bugs in a matter of minutes". I have been a retired RN for only a couple of years, but that is a lifetime in the medical profession. I know of NO such available tests. Any news on this?

Return to Free-Range Topics...