Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

TV news quality?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
TV news quality?
Post by DDHv   » Fri May 13, 2016 2:25 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

How about this: If you can’t get a guest who has direct involvement in a story, could we at least find one with a basic knowledge of the issue at hand that goes beyond having read a news story and/or who has worked in the field for some period of time?

http://townhall.com/columnists/derekhun ... sletterad=

Back in junior high school, I decided TV was like cotton candy, all taste and little nutrition. So I turned it off and did more reading. This article is discussing the current TV news quality
:shock:

To determine which side is right in any ideological contest, you have to fire up your brain and go looking for the truth …you can’t just trust what your chosen authority figures think because they may never have been motivated to apply critical thought to what they think, or were taught.

No argument! Reading allows you to investigate various sources and arguments without the pre-digestion effect of television or movies. Of course, this doesn't mean you will correctly evaluate the discussion in the light of reality, it just improves the odds a little
;)
Last edited by DDHv on Sun May 22, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
I Have Not Watched Network TV In Over 20 Years ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Fri May 13, 2016 7:14 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Title says it. I do watch a few paid for movies on the dinkum thinkum monitor. Also catch a short and nearly deadly dose from the major network news agencies. All are equally bad.

The news is no long news. It is not even information. It is political propaganda designed to influence and twist weak minds. So many ways to twist and spin. Very scary to watch at all.

Sosss ... I don't watch any more than I need to. Right is Left. Blue is Green. Wrong is right. So false. So inaccurate. So blatant. TV is the vast wasteland. TV news is even worserer. :( :(
Re: I Have Not Watched Network TV In Over 20 Years ...
Post by Senior Chief   » Sat May 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

HB of CJ wrote:Title says it. Also catch a short and nearly deadly dose from the major network news agencies. All are equally bad.

The news is no long news. It is not even information. It is political propaganda designed to influence and twist weak minds. So many ways to twist and spin. Very scary to watch at all.

:( :(

I have to say the news media in general is like dog. Dog lick themselves. Why? Because they can.
Re: TV news quality?
Post by Daryl   » Sun May 15, 2016 7:10 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

TV news quality, three way oxymoron.
Re: TV news quality?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:43 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I recently switch off my Cable TV. I watch my 6 broadcast channels off my $20 rabbit ears. turned off my internet as well. they were bundled. used to cost me with steady increased costs $144 a month. now I spend $0. I switched my phone from $39 for 600MB a month to $40 for 5GB a month. Shopping around pays after 5GB my data plan is throttled but unlimited but at the 56K level at 9GB usage it is hard to hit 10GB. might upgrade to 8GB full speed extra $10 a month. Still i'm saving a bundle.

Sold my car as well. Didn't use it much, 3,000 miles a year most of it commuting from the burbs. I take the bus now. Saves me $200 a month in Insurance $100 a month in repairs, $50 a month in Gas. Spending $30 on buses a month. Lots more walking. Extra $500 a month in pocket plus the car sale value. Older cars are great to own and drive but terrible to sell. I'm not spending depreciation either. That cost me $500 a month as well. $360+ a year in other hidden costs licensing etc...

$1,000 a month in savings is a lot of Taxi's or Uber or Car2go. Ironically I'm loving it.

As for news, Rt.com, BBC.com, CBC.ca and pick a US propaganda web portal, New York Times in my case. Between these four you get the different viewpoints and generally get the whole storey.
Post by DDHv   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:I recently switch off my Cable TV. I watch my 6 broadcast channels off my $20 rabbit ears. turned off my internet as well. they were bundled. used to cost me with steady increased costs $144 a month. now I spend $0. I switched my phone from $39 for 600MB a month to $40 for 5GB a month. Shopping around pays after 5GB my data plan is throttled but unlimited but at the 56K level at 9GB usage it is hard to hit 10GB. might upgrade to 8GB full speed extra $10 a month. Still i'm saving a bundle.

Sold my car as well. Didn't use it much, 3,000 miles a year most of it commuting from the burbs. I take the bus now. Saves me $200 a month in Insurance $100 a month in repairs, $50 a month in Gas. Spending $30 on buses a month. Lots more walking. Extra $500 a month in pocket plus the car sale value. Older cars are great to own and drive but terrible to sell. I'm not spending depreciation either. That cost me $500 a month as well. $360+ a year in other hidden costs licensing etc...

$1,000 a month in savings is a lot of Taxi's or Uber or Car2go. Ironically I'm loving it.

As for news, Rt.com, BBC.com, CBC.ca and pick a US propaganda web portal, New York Times in my case. Between these four you get the different viewpoints and generally get the whole storey.

We keep lists. When BJ gets a secret shopper or other such we shop at whatever other stores are in that town, preferably at sales. We have high MPG car and medium MPG pickup for heavier loads, but few trips. Her work pays for the travel. No TV, but internet, which pays for itself by finding PT work for BJ and investment for me. Gardening & related cuts costs. We live off of social security, part time work adds a little, and we have some over for saving and investing.

I just determined that my best paying investment strategies and paper assets are likely to do poorly :( when the background changes, possibly in less than two years, so I'm checking out possible replacements.
:?
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!

Return to Free-Range Topics...