Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Under ground military bases

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Under ground military bases
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

OK...

I was conducting research for a story that I am writing and I needed to know about tunnel boring machinery when I came across articles like this one (http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/20 ... 90260.html) that indicate the military has been building underground bases for decades.

Is there anyone lurking nearby that has information they can share about these... where they are; how deep; what they are intended for... anything?
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Re: Under ground military bases
Post by Tenshinai   » Wed May 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:OK...

I was conducting research for a story that I am writing and I needed to know about tunnel boring machinery when I came across articles like this one (http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/20 ... 90260.html) that indicate the military has been building underground bases for decades.

Is there anyone lurking nearby that has information they can share about these... where they are; how deep; what they are intended for... anything?

Centuries, not just decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk%C3%B6_naval_base
1.5M cubic meters of navalbase inside a mountain.
The kitchen there was sized to feed 2000 people at a time.
Houses a shipyard including a 250m drydock with up to 40m roof clearance.
One of the worlds largest underground naval bases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boden_Fortress
Built 1900-1916, continually improved on until 1990s when 1998 it was finally taken out of active use completely.
Built mostly by "explosives digging", dynamite and to a large extent black powder (which let them avoid causing unintentional damage).

5 large and 14 smaller primary fortifications, and i haven´t a clue how many minor ones(enough of them that it was long rumored the whole thing was completely interconnected).
Basic manpower 1500, 20000 stationed there during WWII, enough room to house at least twice, probably four times that much.

It´s so vast that i can´t provide any picture because any few pictures is unable to show more than a tiny viewpoint.
Try doing a google image search for Bodens fästning.

With Sweden where it is, and with old, steady and strong mountains as the ground in most of the country, underground military bases, fortifications and shelters are crawling all over.

The apartment house i live in for example, built in the 50s, the lowest floor extends into shelters in under a nearby hill, with NBC protection and 10cm steeldoors.

The 2 schools i went to in Stockholm, they extended below ground into extensive shelters as well.

Here´s the nose of another modern "digger":

There´s really no difference between military and civillian tunneling so if you want to find more on it, just search on tunnel building for starters.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:Is there anyone lurking nearby that has information they can share about these... where they are; how deep; what they are intended for... anything?

Google "Cheyenne Mountain"

Cheyenne Mountain Complex Wikipedia wrote:In the late 1950s, a plan was developed to construct a command and control center in a hardened facility as a Cold War defensive strategy against long-range Soviet bombers,[5] ballistic missiles, and a nuclear attack.

Pretty much the same thing can be said for any American (or Soviet) underground installation. ICBM command and control was part of underground Missile Silo complexes. Some silo complexes have been demilitarized and sold for various uses including conversion to luxury homes.

ETA http://www.underground-homes.com/underground-house.htm
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Louis R   » Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Basically, Cold War installations fall into 2 classes: bomb shelters and fallout shelters. The former were designed to resist near-miss nudets, while the latter weren't - which made them significantly cheaper to build. Pretty much all of them were command, control and communication centers.

Bomb-proof facilities would be used for installations considered to be primary targets, places like SAC and NORAD headquarters essential for prosecuting a nuclear war. The were built bomb-proof because it was assumed that they would be attacked if they were located - and in North America it was essentially impossible to build them without everybody knowing about it - no matter where they were placed.

The fallout shelters were built in out-of-the-way places, on the assumption [at the time the system was set up] that they wouldn't be attacked directly because doing so would use resources that could be better employed on more valuable targets. They were primarily set up as emergency government headquarters and held housing and office space for several hundred to several thousand people. Because they weren't intended to withstand near-misses they were generally surface facilities extending no more than one or 2 stories underground. The bigger bomb-proof establishments started with several hundred meters of rock and added an assortment of shock and blast reduction features.

In addition to the references already given, look up CFS Carp and CFS Debert as examples of the fallout shelter facility.

Weird Harold wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:Is there anyone lurking nearby that has information they can share about these... where they are; how deep; what they are intended for... anything?

Google "Cheyenne Mountain"

Cheyenne Mountain Complex Wikipedia wrote:In the late 1950s, a plan was developed to construct a command and control center in a hardened facility as a Cold War defensive strategy against long-range Soviet bombers,[5] ballistic missiles, and a nuclear attack.

Pretty much the same thing can be said for any American (or Soviet) underground installation. ICBM command and control was part of underground Missile Silo complexes. Some silo complexes have been demilitarized and sold for various uses including conversion to luxury homes.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

From your link:
This is a $13 million tunnel boring machine (TBM) used for tunneling at the Nevada Test Site. (Remember that Area 51 is part of the test site.) Many other types of TBMs are used by many government agencies, including the ‘nuclear powered TBM’ [NTBM] that melts solid rock and leaves behind glass-like walls.

I'd be wary of accepting that article as fact.

1) It is no secret that the Nevada Test Site is riddled with tunnels: that's where and how they got atomic bombs underground for underground testing. Most were vertical drill holes, but many were horizontal tunnels. FWIW, there is no mention of TBMs at the Atomic Test Site Museum here in Las Vegas.

2) Groom Lake is NOT part of the Nevada Test Site, it is part of the Nellis Bomb Range (specifically area 51 of the bomb range. It undoubtedly has underground facilities, but it has far more conventional airbase construction -- hangers, shelters, chow halls, parking lots, etc.

3) Obviously if it is "secret" I wouldn't know about it, but -- like nuclear bombers and other conspiracy favorites -- a nuclear TBM would not be cost effective; standard TBMs cost less and do the same job. "glass lined tunnels" sounds good, but only a few geographic substrates would convert to structural glass by the simple application of extreme heat.

4) Most atomic testing and construction at Groom Lake would have been finished before TBMs became common.

Post by C. O. Thompson   » Wed May 11, 2016 6:45 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:

From your link:
This is a $13 million tunnel boring machine (TBM) used for tunneling at the Nevada Test Site. (Remember that Area 51 is part of the test site.) Many other types of TBMs are used by many government agencies, including the ‘nuclear powered TBM’ [NTBM] that melts solid rock and leaves behind glass-like walls.

I'd be wary of accepting that article as fact.

1) It is no secret that the Nevada Test Site is riddled with tunnels: that's where and how they got atomic bombs underground for underground testing. Most were vertical drill holes, but many were horizontal tunnels. FWIW, there is no mention of TBMs at the Atomic Test Site Museum here in Las Vegas.

2) Groom Lake is NOT part of the Nevada Test Site, it is part of the Nellis Bomb Range (specifically area 51 of the bomb range. It undoubtedly has underground facilities, but it has far more conventional airbase construction -- hangers, shelters, chow halls, parking lots, etc.

3) Obviously if it is "secret" I wouldn't know about it, but -- like nuclear bombers and other conspiracy favorites -- a nuclear TBM would not be cost effective; standard TBMs cost less and do the same job. "glass lined tunnels" sounds good, but only a few geographic substrates would convert to structural glass by the simple application of extreme heat.

4) Most atomic testing and construction at Groom Lake would have been finished before TBMs became common.

Thanks Harold... I agree that such articles have to be checked and I knew about Cheyenne MT but the spin I got was more like the underground city or some place that The Donald (or some such) may try to hide if he kicked a hornets nest.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed May 11, 2016 7:13 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Most if all of those pics are heavily edited. If they are accurate or not is up for discussion. One pic looks right out of James Bond movie.

As far as the deep secret stuff underground since it is secret we would not know about it. But I am sure such stuff does exist. Lots of it.

We build an underground school 35 years ago. Still there. Cost 4 times the normal school, but what the heck. Government tax money. Lots of it.

If a 5 mile diameter nickel iron asteroid struck right now in the mid south Indian Ocean we probably could put enough humans underground.

Seven (7) billion plus humans today. After the climate warms back up in 5 years, probably about 1 million. That many deep redoubts? Probably.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:Thanks Harold... I agree that such articles have to be checked and I knew about Cheyenne MT but the spin I got was more like the underground city or some place that The Donald (or some such) may try to hide if he kicked a hornets nest.

You mean something like the Congressional Bunker at Greenbriar?

http://www.greenbrier.com/Activities/The-Bunker.aspx

Post by cthia   » Thu May 12, 2016 1:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I remembered this coming across my desk a couple of years ago...

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/berthas-bo ... ne-broken/

I joked in my office that it had gotten hung up on one of the "roots" of the "Space Needle."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Thu May 12, 2016 7:55 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Lots in the UK. Hellfire corner at Dover is open to the public, used in WW2 as a command centre for the defence of the English Channel, plus command bunkers for Churchill and others elsewhere.
Australia has some that are still classified.
Gibraltar in WW1 and WW2.
The Viet Cong used tunnels in the Vietnam war.
Hitler's bunker in Berlin.
In fiction, John Ringo used them in the Posleen series. I could never get comfortable with the concept of a subterranean base with only one exit, too much like a trap.

Return to Free-Range Topics...